Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm interested in purchasing a sterring dampener for a '02 Gixxer 1000, but most companies i look at don't make a 'top-mount'; which is what i want, also there are so many i don't know what is good...Actually i know Ohlins is supposed to be "the best" but i can't justify spending close to $1000(Canadian) to buy the dampener and a bracket to make it a top mount (because the Ohlins comes as a stock replacement). I've looked at nearly every company (Ohlins, Daytona, Hyperpro, Matris, Scott, Harris and the list goes on....), but i don't know how they handle, or if there's any problems with them. The only guys i know that have dampeners, all have Ohlins (cause they race, and they 'think' that Ohlins is the best).

So, I'd like some feedback on the dampeners any of you guys are using....I'd like the dapener to fit these criteria if possible:

1) Adjustable
2) Rebuildable (did i spell that right?)
3) Top mount, or Tank mount
4) I won't have to sign away my first born to buy it!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just so you know.....it's steering damper, not dampener. Trivial, I know. :rolleyes: ;)

I don't have any experiece with dampers for the GSXR1000, so I don't have any info for ya. Sorry...

·
Registered
199 Posts
try hyperpro

Personally, I fel the 2 best dampers on the market are Scotts and Hyperpro. I put a hyperpro on my bike, and I love it. it is the only one made that has "active" dampening. To explain, it is best to see and feel it, but, when i turn my handlebars back and forth, slowly, it feels normal. But if I try to whip them over fast, the dampener hardens up automaticlly on it's own and resists the movement. It is also highly adjustable, allowing you to preset just about any amount of damping you want to pre-load it with. The Scotts is also nice, because it has such a high level of adjustment, but only the hyperpro does the "active" dampening. Both will cost you about $400 for the damper and neccersary mounting brackets

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Ohlins make Scotts Dampers. Buy either and you can't go wrong.:D

They can be easily swapped between bikes in less than a minute.:cool:

They perform great! Here's mine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an Ohlins with a Harris mount - mounts on top - and I've been very pleased with it. Bought from the guys at EMA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts