Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on which type of steering damper one should use on a '99 R1.Am looking at either a Daytona,Shindi,Storz,or the pricey Hyperpro.Any feedback would be a help.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My impression of a steering damper was that it is something used to either correct a chassis setup problem, design error, or rider error, Unless you mean for use on a track... Correct me?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey Rossco, does Ohlins have a bracket for the 929? I've had my eye on a Scotts damper for awhile now, but like Ohlins too.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I was thinking about the Scotts myself. It's a pretty penny, but from what I've heard it's well worth it. I also like the design and compactness of it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
A guy that I work with (one of our engineers) rides and R1, and he had a Scotts, as did all of his R1 buddies (five in total). Two of them had the damper rip righ toff the triple clamp in a violant slapper (obviously they resulted in dcrashes). They have since tossed their Scotts in the garbage, and installed Ohlins dampers in their places. I have no idea if they all made some kind of installation error (or at least the two that crashed). The Scotts has the on-the-fly adjustability which I like very much, but I honestly think it is butt ugly (an abomination in fact IMHO), and I know that Ohlins are top quality stuff. Yes, I have seen Ohlins mounted on 929s already (a la 996), but do not know if it was with a custom bracket or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts