Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8526008006818943324 I saw this on another forum. Just wanted to know you guys think of rider's form/concentration or lack thereof ................................the caption below was attached to video.....................................

1. First off, this is a link to a video I made. I put it here in the hopes it would get more visibility.

There have been quite a few riders going down this season that we know personally and who we only know as screen names on this site.

So I put this video together and named it "Read The Signs"

These "signs" are not the only contributing factors to single bike accidents they are surely part.

These are the signs you get when you hop on the bike and you are feeling like you have to force the bike to do what you want. Your head just may not be in the right place to fully execute the bike through the corners at the rate of speed you want. Or you may be thinking of other things than the ride. Maybe you are too tired. Whatever the reason, "read" these signs and adjust your behavior accordingly. The signs will be there and most of us will notice them and will compensate the way we are riding. It is hard to do for some people sometimes if in a group. You may feel you have something to prove, but no one does. You will look really stupid when you are picking up your bike from off the ground or out of the ditch.

We all have to be humble when it comes to our abilities. You will always be faster than someone else, and there will always be someone faster than you.

Personally I think the only ones capable of forcing the bike to do what is needed regardless of ones current physical/mental state is the professionals. Even at that they can't do it 100%.

The following video is of a rider on this site who went down Memorial day. On a ride with our usual group of guys who also are on this site. The rider in question here is a very accomplished rider. Anyone who will follow him will usually comment on how smooth and precise this individual rides. He also has a habit of falling to the back of the group if he doesn't feel like his head is into the ride. This is one of the signs I speak of. For whatever reason on this day he failed to read the signs being presented to him. As you watch the video you will see them as well and ultimately this is what led to what you will see at the end of the clip. Our group wasn't going at a hair raising speed as you will see. However was still a spirited ride. This rider featured here could have made the turn(easily) however didn't. Mostly because it wasn't his day to ride the pace he chose to ride. While he is capable of the pace it just wasn't today. For whatever reason that was...he will only be the one who will truly know.

I submit this to remind those that are experienced and may forget that we aren't invincible, "I know I think I am at times" and to the new riders here who have the new experience of owning and riding a bike. From beginner to experienced we all will continue to learn from our experiences and mistakes.__________________

·
Registered
271 Posts
sixer said:
...He also has a habit of falling to the back of the group if he doesn't feel like his head is into the ride. This is one of the signs I speak of.
The thought had just gone through my head that "this guy is all over the place and keeps blowing his lines" when *bloop*, off the side he went. I've had days like that when, for whatever reason, I just wasn't into the ride that day, and I've turned around and headed home.

It sucks, but sure beats the hell out of the alternative. His accident could have been far worse and is a sobering reminder of what can happen when we don't have our heads in the game.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sixer who felt said rider was "---rider in question here is a very accomplished rider.---" ??? Not in my books for like hapster he was all over the lane, often wheels on the wrong side of the lane & often to close to the shoulder line where he finally pranged the bike, plus going into the bends to fast & gearing down part way through the bends or easing off the throttle & then opening it up a bit.

Had he been spotted by the RCMP he would have been stopped & give a Dangerous Driving ticket which means immediate confiscation of his bike to go in whatever compound they are using, in the clanger for a good part of the day with finger printing & mug shots. Then up to him to get a lawyer to have him out later in said day. In most cases the rider ends up loosing (I know for I was nailed with the same---but not wondering all over the road to even being on the wrong lane) it will be a heavy find of over $500.00 & six months or more in confiscation of his license. They will also look at previous records & could make it heavier fine & longer time without a DL.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I agree with smitty. He maybe a good and safe rider, but in that video he doesn't seem to show it in the turns. He's leaning too early in some turns, breaking halfway in the turns, and not accelerating into the turn. He's also leaning way to far over when the bike isn't even leaning.

When the rider wrecks, he's lucky to have went into that little ditch or else he would have went over the side of the cliff. It does kinda suck that he did wreck as it looked like he was trying to take things slow.

This is why I prefer to ride by myself or with just one or two friends. I don't like group riding. I'm also not comfortable with other motorcycles going high speed through curves like a few feet away from me. It just makes me nervous and I won't feel as confident in my riding skills because I'd always think if I'd wreck would I take out other riders?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I prefer small groups as well, though I've been out with as many as ten. The newbs didn't want to stay single file in the twisties, and like JBaz, that makes me nervous as hell. It's one thing on an interstate, with big sweeping turns, but not in the twisties on a back road, where you need room to maneuver. Worrying about the guy beside you just blows your concentration.

Even when the group is small, like four or five bikes, if I'm with people whose skill I don't know or trust, I drop to the back where I can keep an eye on them. If they seem to be getting really out of control, I'll try and signal the leader to stop and have we'll have a chat.

I'm always open to others critiquing my skills, but not everyone is so receptive. The more inexperienced and over confident they are, the more likely they'll just blow you off, or get pissed. Hell, when I know I've made a mistake, I'll ask the guy behind me (if there was one) what he saw. The worst mistakes can be the ones you don't learn from. If you don't, you'll end up learning the hard way. Or worse.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I hate it when other motorcycles change position in the lane instead sticking to the left or right side. Considering when you are riding in a group, it's suppose to be a alternating position. I'm always riding with idiots. Come on, I can't be the only person who read the manuals...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hapster said:

Even when the group is small, like four or five bikes, if I'm with people whose skill I don't know or trust, I drop to the back where I can keep an eye on them. If they seem to be getting really out of control, I'll try and signal the leader to stop and have we'll have a chat.
Man I do the opposite. I try to move ahead of them- sad to say,but I don't want to run into them in case they go down. Now don't get me wrong, I don't profess to be some great rider- I know there's alot that I still have yet to learn,but there are some guys that I've ridden with from time to time that just make me plain nervous.lol I would rather ride by myself than with people that make me nervous.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So is my reason for riding solo 100% of the time. If I run into someone from my area & let us say I am around 30+ miles away, IF(?) they assume I am about to ride home & say they will ride with me, that is when I tell them I have to go & visit a friend for around an hr or so.

Mind you in past yrs if they were to appear at a dirt comp race to watch then okay, & if they appeared to help out then even better yet. If they came to actually compete then that would be prime reason to compete with them.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'll add my scepticism to the "accomplished rider" crowd. Mid corner panic brakes, lousy line, target fixation. I would've been scared to follow him that closely, or to have him follow me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think the point the author of the original thread was trying to make is that the rider is an accomplished rider, meaning he rides well, but he sucked, acted like a total noob, and as a result crashed durring this ride because his head wasn't on straight... Moral of the story being that we shouldn't ride when we're not feeling well, or we might end up like this guy did.

Judging the guy as a bad rider by how he behaved durring one ride is like people judging you to be an overall asshole because you feel shitty one particular day of your life.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lateott_156 said:
I think the point the author of the original thread was trying to make is that the rider is an accomplished rider, meaning he rides well, but he sucked, acted like a total noob, and as a result crashed durring this ride because his head wasn't on straight... Moral of the story being that we shouldn't ride when we're not feeling well, or we might end up like this guy did.

Judging the guy as a bad rider by how he behaved durring one ride is like people judging you to be an overall asshole because you feel shitty one particular day of your life.
Well put. I think the idea was that anyone can have a bad day (mine cost about $1,200), how to recognize it when it happens, and what the results can be. I have taken something away from the video which will help me to be more aware of my own riding. Thank you for the post.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This year for me has been filled with lot's of bad days with 2 wrecks and full of legal shit. All that is in the past now and I'm looking to the future. Hell, the stories I have makes any girl feel sad for me. :p

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What was he doing looking around all the time? I think he was hammin it up cause there was a camera. Either that or he thought the cameraman was going to run him over. Part of the "spirited" ride means being smooth and NOT CROSSING THE LINE!! That guy was all over the place.

I'm with Smitty on the group ride thing. Although I will ride with one or two others!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seemed nervous to me, perhaps thought he was going to get ran over, but did not want to drop out of the camera shot. I tend to fall to the back on group rides so I do not feel pushed by those behind me and not forced to ride above my limits trying to stay in front of some riders with no fear. I usually telll the group before the ride to go on if they feel fast that day and I will catch up or find my way home. I'll save it for a track day, track virgin here waiting for protection.

Lost my father in a motorcycle accident as a kid and I have a beautiful wife and 2 beautiful daughter to support. That is where my responsibility begins.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
lateott_156 said:

+1,000

I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen this type of thread. And every single time I do, most people are lining up to find some quantifiable reason as to why the accident happened. In this case, it seems to me that everyone is touting that the rider lacked skills. The reverse of this is, "I'm better than him and if I was in the same situation, it would not have happened to me."

I know exactly what sixer is saying. Sometimes, I am just not on my game or in the zone. Sometimes, my mind just isn't working correctly and the separation of mind and body is too great - so to speak. I didn't see anything wrong with that guy's form. If anything, hanging that far off the bike will keep more of the rubber on the road. As for target-fixating, that becomes everyone's buzz word when they learn it's meaning. I've been riding for just under 20 years. That's 20 years of straight sportbikes, always pushing the limit. I still get caught by target-fixation from time to time. If you have 1 second to fix a problem - do you think you would? I'm not so sure I would - at least, not always.

My point is simple, I don't think the rider in the video lacked overall skill, I think the rider in the video lacked exactly what sixer, the thread's author, was trying to get at. It's a much more illusive concept than raw skill and that is good judgement. The rider in that video crashed not because he 'rode over his head' in my opinion, but rather because he rode without using his head. It was not his day to lead and he should have moved back as he did in the past.

I think too often we won't to say it was the riders lack of skill just so we can 'feel' like it won't happen to us because we all know we are the top 10% of riders out there, right?

Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
iight let me rephrase that.
His riding showed a serious lack of skill. There were several corners before his last, that I thought were going to be his last. Now wether he showed no skill because he didnt have any, or if it was because he couldnt apply it at the time because he was mad, competitive, drunk, whatever, is something that none of us can really say.

Of course everyone has their good days and bad days. My rule is no more than one asspucker moment a ride. If I get scared and tense up, then its time to slow down and call it a day, regardless of how well I came out of whatever it was that scared me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vash said:
My rule is no more than one asspucker moment a ride. If I get scared and tense up, then its time to slow down and call it a day, regardless of how well I came out of whatever it was that scared me.
I think I just found my new guide for when I should call it a day for pushing the envelope. I figured asspucker moments were just an inherent thing of riding sportbikes, but I can see the logic in that. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To be honest with you when I am in the Cdn Rockie Mtns up & down twisty two lane roads, my head is continually bobbing around when riding MEANING I am looking ahead at what my be comming from right or left, conditions of the road, & just so much more.

I find it a MUST that I am taking in all what is ahead of me & in some cases what might be comming up from behind. But rarely am I looking at the speedo or tach for I am going by the feel of the bike.

The very reason I have admitted to RCMP that I did know know I was speeding for my concentration was on the road, the traction, the traffic & all. None have suggested that I should be noting my speedo--------for they are sort of saying so in handing out a speeding ticket. One critizes the use of ear plugs, but must have found out that was the wrong thing to say for she was a new Constable. Mind you I am never on the wrong side of the yellow line nor is even my body & not 'touch & go' with the shoulder of the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts