Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 99 r1 with almost 2000 miles on it. The other day i took the bike out and had left it in the sun all day. I was heading home and i came to a red light. All of the sudden the bike turned off. I couldnt get the bike to start up again. It would start and just as quickly stop. I pushed it into a gas station and tried to open up the tank to see if i was out of gas "i had filled it up 60 miles ago". I turned the key and couldnt get the gas cap to open. The tank was filled with air. I had to release all the air before the bike would start up again. Has anyone else experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a fuel tank breather hose and overflow hose on the R1's. Maybe the breather hose is pinched closed not allowing it to vent. How did you get it to relieve the pressure?

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i opened up the gas cap.

------------------
"I'm like the village bicycle, everyone has had a ride"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cetro
I too have a 99 R1 but have never experienced that phenomenon with it. I would check to see if the two breather hoses underneath the tank are kinked or blocked in any way. I did have this problem with a Honda VTR1000 in the past. It usually happened if I had brimmed the fueltank (above the max level). The bike would run fine for a few miles and then it would begin to cut out and was impossible to restart. I found that opening the tank to release the vacuum did the trick. Did you by any chance over-fill your tank prior to this happening ??.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
That does happen it's called "vapor lock"
the gas fumes expand and cause of pocket
of vaporized gas to get caught somewhere
in the fuel system - probably in the fuel
pump. If the pump gets pressurized with
vapor it can't pull liquid fuel. With this
said, I agree that you probably have a pinched
breather line either on the tank or on the
carbs.

Good Luck

Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts