Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading the forums for the past couple weeks and Im still a little confused on which bike I should start on. I've only been a passenger a couple of times so Im really new to bikes and Im also only 5'6 and 140 lbs

I was looking at getting a Ninja 250R but then I read somewhere that it cant cruise at like 70-80mph for a long time. So now Ive been thinking of getting a larger bike but I have no idea if that would be too much for me. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey man, I dont' have much experience because i don't own one yet either, but i have been researching for quite a while and the gs500f looks like a really nice bike for beginners. My advice might not be the best seeing as how i don't own one yet, but maybe that will help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so if it is BS then should I be looking at that or would I be ok getting a higher cc bike?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Any 500 is just fine, as are some 600s, at least my MY standards. There are several on here who'd suggest even a modern day 600 race replica is fine, and there's even a smaller minority who think liter bikes (1000cc and up) are ok.

To be safe, stick with my recommendations, of course :laughing: or not. Just follow the other standard beginner recommendations and your chances of surviving to enjoy the sport will be greatly increased.

Oh, and since I haven't seen you before, welcome!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Beginner bikes

Kawasaki Ninja 500R or the new for 2006 Ninja 650R.

Suzuki SV 650 or GS 500F.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Witt said:
...I was looking at getting a Ninja 250R but then I read somewhere that it cant cruise at like 70-80mph for a long time...
Sure, it's not as good as a bigger bike at those speeds, but the 250 will cruise along just fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Better get a liter a 250 will not due it! 70 is way to much for it to handle. A 250 wont exceed 20 to 25 mph.;)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jrog24 said:
...A 250 wont exceed 20 to 25 mph.;)
I know you were being sarcastic, but I thought I'd add that mine used to hit 100mph.... regularly. :D

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jrog24 said:
REALLY, my mistake then. Lol. Never ridden a 250 but i will completly agree with you...
70mph on my 250 was about 8,000rpm, a looooong way from the 14,000rpm redline. Peak hp was @ 12,500 and peak torque @ 10,000.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Cookee, your 250 was a 4 cylinders right? We only get parallel twins on 250s in States. Still they whould go over 100 mph fine.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Cookee, your 250 was a 4 cylinders right? We only get parallel twins on 250s in States. Still they whould go over 100 mph fine.
No, same as yours, parallel twin. 40hp, 18ft.lbs of torque, 320lbs dry weight.

jrog24 - That's why I can't imagine people starting on a 600. That 250 was more than enough for a learner. So easy to flick around too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes it can be a little hard but i am loving it so far, ready for a liter lol. No really i am just takin it easy and watching out for them cagers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Witt, I ride a GPX250 same engine as cookeetree's and it ride just fine at 70-80mph and is a great learners bike, however if you are going to be travelling for long periods of time at this or higher speeds I would probably go the GS500, maybe even an SV650 if you trust yourself to ride well within your limits and keep your head about you.
If the law was different over here I would have gone a bigger bike but you weigh less and are shorter than me. Seems like your head down the right road anyway.:thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
cookeetree said:
Another reason to move to Queensland. :thumb:
Not just yet! The rules are changing soon apparently to no size restriction in November, don't know if it's fact yet fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts