Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive gotten to be pretty decent at sit down wheelies and can shift while up on 1 wheel. Ive recently been toying with standups and can only pull it up in 1st gear but cant seem to shift.Ide like to learn how to bounce it up like I see others do in 2nd or 3rd gear.Can someone please talk me through the proceedure so I can work on it. Any help or advice ( without being flamed ) would be greatly appreciated.And yes I always wear full leathers and I dont do wheelies in town.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Your bike will easily bring the front up in 2nd with a nice bounce. Just stand up first then take the RPMs up to the meat of the torque and chop the throttle, compress the front forks with your arms and your weight on them. Then yank back and go to wide open throttle simultaneously.

Good luck and be careful!

ChR1s

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, I got a little fustrated when trying to learn them myslef...I personally would never do a stand-up in 1st gear....The power is to unpredictable, and the front end comes up way to quick...Plus if you dont know how to shift, then you will run out of rpms/ running room way to fast.....

I learned to do stand-ups in 2nd gear, then progrssed to third....So start out in 2nd, one of the most importnat things i learned if your going to slow, its harder to lift the front...So have your rpm's UP !! Right before you feel the bike start to pull or hit its powerband....Compress the front fork...

Then is when timing comes into play.....As soon as you push down on the bars, on the way back up or just right before, start pinning the throttle...& pull the bars back towards your chest....

Once you achieve your balance point, you will find there are easier then sit downs........So the like i said, the most important thing i have found, is to keep your R's up...Aslo when you push down on the bars, really Push hard!! & then pull them just as hard back to your chest, while wacking the gas make sure you twist that throttle good...

Once you get the timing of all these things, they will be easier and you wont have to work as hard getting it up..But for now over exaggerate, until you get the rythem...

Have fun and be careful......:thumb:

·
Registered
306 Posts
No wayyyyyyyyyyyyy

I thought this was going to be the end of my pretty little bike......(actually I said the same thing about doing this too)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ruff-rida,thanks man. That sounds simple enough but I'm sure I'll have to work at it. You are right,the front comes up way too fast standing in 1st gear; so I will quit trying them is 1st and move on to 2nd. Its so damn frustrating; I cant seem to get the timing just right.I guess its like everything else to do with riding- practice,practice,practice. I havent had the time to work on it the past week but as soon as possible I will find a safe spot and give it a go. When I finally get it I will let ya know. Thanks again.

Bruce

·
Registered
636 Posts
Stand ups are defnitely easier than sit downs once you figure them out. It took me forever to learn how t o do them and was sooo frustrating I almost gave up. It's pretty much all a timing thing. What I do is stand up and lean forward over the tank, accelerate hard then while still on the gas bounce and throw my weight back and give the bars a little tug, no heman shit, just a little tug. lol Bounce right when you feel the bike start pulling hard. I'm usually at 2/3 or so throttle and then modulate to bring it up to the balance point. Word of caution. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO COPS AROUND!!!! I passed a cop doing a stand up yesterday and it wasn't pretty. :( 70 in 35 and reckless operation. Street normally is deserted but it wasn't yesterday. :( :( :( Anyone know a good lawyer? Maybe I should call the motorcycle lawyer like I see on TV all the time. LoL. ;) :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
01 ZX6R sit down wheelies

So I've been trying sitdown wheelies for a while.. I can pick up the front pretty easily if I rev up to 10K, and pretty much dump the clutch. It pops up and then goes straight down, I can't seem to hold it

I tried to do a stand up by depressing the front shock, then chopping the throttle and I don't even get a half an inch.. Could my shock be too tight?? I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. Should i put all my weight on the front shock, or just a little? I want to be super careful so I don't have to fix my bike from damage induced from concrete..

Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Just keep practicing and taking the advice of this and many other threads. You bike, reguardless of suspension settings will wheelie with you on it. you need to put your weight towards the rear and use it to your advantage.

Just keep practicing the sit downs in first gear until you get the power wheelie down. Then you can move on from there. It just takes time, rome wasn't built in a day.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
doogie, i feel for you, man. yeah, definitely go with a lawyer. a buddy of mine went through something like this in atlanta: he was going 100 coming into atlanta from the perimeter and saw a sheriff so he punched it. what he didn't realize was that the sheriff radioed ahead and a state patrol was entering the freeway with laser. clocked him at 140. threw his ass in jail, cited him with speeding, no motorcycle license(permit), drving after dark, driving on a freeway(both of the above citations are justified if operator only has a permit), eluding an officer, and wreckless. needless to say, he wasn't happy when i talked to him.

outcome: got a really good lawyer, all but wreckless were thrown out, he spent no time in jail, fine was like $500, and he's on probation for four months. pretty sweet. without a lawyer, he'd still be in the pokey.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Doogie, it can't hurt to try talking to the cop first. Call him at the station and tell him that you're a good guy, (school student or full time work whatever the case is). Play it up, "I used to be an Alterboy, got out before things got bad" :D Then ask him if he can do anything for you. If that doesn't work then I would spend the cash for a lawyer but only if you are looking at jail time (which I don't think you are) or loosing you liscense. Lawyers can be more expensive than the fines.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well there's no chance of jail time and no chance of a license suspension. But if these go on my record there's also no chance I'll be able to afford full coverage for 2 years. LoL. I talked to a few lawyers and they told me to go to the court date and and plead not guilty and ask for a pretrial conference with the prosecutor. I did this yesterday and they said they'd contact me by mail and tell me when I go in for that. Hesaid to tell the prosecutor the whole story and how I have no priors and a starving college student and yadda yadda yadda and ask if they'll reduce it to 55 in a 35 and drop the reckless op. If not I'll need to find a lawyer or suck it up and pay the fines.

·
Registered
301 Posts
First let me say that with over 170 rw hp, doing wheelies is all too easy to do in the first three gears. They're fun to do, everyone needs to be aware of the toll this takes on your bike. I often tell my customers that if they really want to ruin their bikes you can stop changing their oil or better yet start doing wheelies.

Stop and consider what happens to your rod bearings, drive chain, sprockets, etc. when you rev up your engine to 5000 rpm or so, and then dump the clutch. All that rotating mass drops from 5000 RPM to maybe 500 in a fraction of a second. All the above components have to take this 'hit'. It's almost like hitting your workbench with a hammer. Oil or not, this will soon begin to reshape your workbench. My customers that do wheelies endlessly suffer these consequences in short order. I am right now rebuilding a GSX-R1000 that tossed a rod while doing a 90 mph wheelie. Was the thrill worth $3,000. His bike only had 2,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
DaveL said:
First let me say that with over 170 rw hp, doing wheelies is all too easy to do in the first three gears. They're fun to do, everyone needs to be aware of the toll this takes on your bike. I often tell my customers that if they really want to ruin their bikes you can stop changing their oil or better yet start doing wheelies.

Stop and consider what happens to your rod bearings, drive chain, sprockets, etc. when you rev up your engine to 5000 rpm or so, and then dump the clutch. All that rotating mass drops from 5000 RPM to maybe 500 in a fraction of a second. All the above components have to take this 'hit'. It's almost like hitting your workbench with a hammer. Oil or not, this will soon begin to reshape your workbench. My customers that do wheelies endlessly suffer these consequences in short order. I am right now rebuilding a GSX-R1000 that tossed a rod while doing a 90 mph wheelie. Was the thrill worth $3,000. His bike only had 2,500 miles.
I hear what you're saying but on the same note - what if you don't use the clutch? What if you simply power it up? I can ride them for miles at a time and I've never seen the oil light come on either. I have just under 14,000 miles on my R1 and she sounds perfect. I will admit that my suspenion, fairings mounts and headlight mounts have taken quite a hit.

I don't believe that 'dumping' the clutch is good for anything but I do believe that if you fan the clutch quickly majority of the force is being taken up by the friction plates.

·
Registered
636 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:

I hear what you're saying but on the same note - what if you don't use the clutch? What if you simply power it up? I can ride them for miles at a time and I've never seen the oil light come on either. I have just under 14,000 miles on my R1 and she sounds perfect. I will admit that my suspenion, fairings mounts and headlight mounts have taken quite a hit.

I don't believe that 'dumping' the clutch is good for anything but I do believe that if you fan the clutch quickly majority of the force is being taken up by the friction plates.
I concur, fork seals also take a beating, as does the tranny sometimes. I don't "drop" the clutch, I usually bounce second up, but if I use it I fan it up and I also think most of it would be taken by the friction plates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts