Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant seem to get that one started. With my weight being so high above the bike, the sudden acceleration throws me back too far. I tried starting a sitdown wheelie and then standing up while its in the air, but it never seems to work quiet right.
All of this is done in 1st gear off the throttle.
Any advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It makes it alot easier if you stand on the rear pegs. put your feet on the back pegs, stand up a little hunched over, give a little off the throttle and back on, it will come right up smoothly as long as you don't clutch it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before you start putting your feet on the back pegs i'd get used to your feet on the front pegs, it can be done rather easily.

Get your rpm to your bikes power band, stand up, let off the gas, bounce down an at the same time hit the gas. Try an keep your weight towards the back of the bike, like when you bounce lean back some. It'll take a little getting used to but with some practice you'll get it.

Your hand position on the throttle is gonna be different than sit downs, so it may take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havent been able to bring it up in second with just the throttle. I practice clutching it in first, but I am not getting repeatable results. Sometimes it pops up a few inches, othertimes I almost flip it. Not confident enough yet to go for higher speeds.

·
Registered
251 Posts
preppy11n said:
It makes it alot easier if you stand on the rear pegs. put your feet on the back pegs, stand up a little hunched over, give a little off the throttle and back on, it will come right up smoothly as long as you don't clutch it
Ok i have a question you said bounce down and hit the gas at the same time. when you bounce down do you let it come up and hit the gas or as you bounce down hit the gas for it to come up?

·
Registered
43 Posts
hit the gas right when you bounce down, the bike only bounces for a split second so by the time you hit the gas it will be on its way up.

also dont clutch it up in first, thats an easy way to loop it, clutch it in second

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've got a big suggestion: don't do a stand-up in 1st gear, unless you want to kiss you and your bike bye-bye. You will loop it if you do that. 2nd gear and above only, until you are really good, and then move on to 1st gear stand up. Then come slow wheelies in 1st and 2nd....that's when it's fun. For now, be safe, and rock 'em in 2nd. Your bike can do that.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its an '03 kawi z1k. the gearing is -1 front +2 rear. I dont think any of it can be blamed on the bike.

The other thing that concerns me about 2nd gear is the much higher speed everything will be happenening in. I figured if I'm going to loop it, I would rather do it at 40 than 90

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Vash said:
its an '03 kawi z1k. the gearing is -1 front +2 rear. I dont think any of it can be blamed on the bike.

The other thing that concerns me about 2nd gear is the much higher speed everything will be happenening in. I figured if I'm going to loop it, I would rather do it at 40 than 90
You'll get over that. It's really an oh-shit factor: hold on to your nuts the first few times, as it's a weird feeling. But once you start, man....whoo! It's a freakin' blast. It seems weird, but in reality, you have more control at 90 than you do 40. But if you've got that thing geared the way you do, you should be able to pull a power wheelie in 2nd. Back to the safety, though: at 40, if you start to loop it, the natural reaction is to freak out and if you think about it, if you're falling back, which way do you think your right hand is going to turn on the accelerator? Yep...you unconsciously rip it up, and you loop it really quickly.....more quickly than anybody new has time to react properly. At 90, you've got a huge benefit on your side: wind resistance. At 90, the wind will help hold up and guide your bike, and you'll have the sense of mind to hit the rear brake and bring her back down. Don't get it twisted: it's scary either way, but with time you learn that at speed is better.

Remember to wear your gear, and to make sure that while you're learning to do this kind of stuff, that you have plenty of room with little to no traffic. Good luck, and rip it up! :thumb: :cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
wheelie123 said:
You'll get over that. It's really an oh-shit factor: hold on to your nuts the first few times, as it's a weird feeling. But once you start, man....whoo! It's a freakin' blast. It seems weird, but in reality, you have more control at 90 than you do 40. But if you've got that thing geared the way you do, you should be able to pull a power wheelie in 2nd. Back to the safety, though: at 40, if you start to loop it, the natural reaction is to freak out and if you think about it, if you're falling back, which way do you think your right hand is going to turn on the accelerator? Yep...you unconsciously rip it up, and you loop it really quickly.....more quickly than anybody new has time to react properly. At 90, you've got a huge benefit on your side: wind resistance. At 90, the wind will help hold up and guide your bike, and you'll have the sense of mind to hit the rear brake and bring her back down. Don't get it twisted: it's scary either way, but with time you learn that at speed is better.

Remember to wear your gear, and to make sure that while you're learning to do this kind of stuff, that you have plenty of room with little to no traffic. Good luck, and rip it up! :thumb: :cool:
no offense, but that has to be the worst advice I've ever heard... wind resistance? you're kidding right? Engine braking is what will save an inexperienced rider who doesn't have brake control mastered. Power wheelies are horrible! Clutch! all the way. Powering up a wheelie is so unpredictable. I'll give you a step by step. This is just my :2cents: but I know a lot of stunters... and nobody powers it up, and noone thinks faster is better...

1. Gear up
2. find an empty road and a friend
3. get a video camera (so you can see how you're doing and if you wreck you can post it here :D )
4. warm up your tires
5. stand staggered. NOT ON BOTH REAR PEGS! how are you supposed to hit the brake if you don't have your foot over it! put your left leg on the rear passenger peg, and your right foot over the rear brake. so much more comfortable and easier than both on the front.
6. get goin about 20 mph... or right under your power band
7. while still on the throttle SLIP the clutch... don't pull it all the way in and whack the throttle and dump it... just slip it. I use one finger... sometimes two... just pull it in count 1, and let it back out... stay on the gas, and COVER THE BRAKE.
8. it will come up.... and this is why you do it in first, if you get freaked out, just let the throttle go... engine braking will bring it right back down... to make extra sure... hit the rear brake. No looping. just be sure not to mousetrap it. Thats no fun.
9. continue this until you get used to the feeling of the front end comming up. then keep bringing it higher and higher each time. Clutch it a little more each time till you can snap it right up to balance point (first time you hit it you will pee your pants.)
10. PRACTICE... keep at it, and eventually you will have it down to a fine art. After you've mastered first... 2nd, 3rd, fourth, are all cake. And you will already have brake control down... so you won't have to worry about looping at 90 while chasing your wheelie.

Feel free to ask comments, good or bad, I will try to justify my answers. I'll include a pick of the staggered standup... in case you aren't quite sure on it.

You're friendly SBW :squid:

*pic is Bob from IMR

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
no offense, but that has to be the worst advice I've ever heard... wind resistance? you're kidding right? Engine braking is what will save an inexperienced rider who doesn't have brake control mastered. Power wheelies are horrible! Clutch! all the way. Powering up a wheelie is so unpredictable. I'll give you a step by step. This is just my :2cents: but I know a lot of stunters... and nobody powers it up, and noone thinks faster is better...
It's not bad advice, man, it's just different from how you stunt. And when you're doing a wheelie above 70 mph, yeah, wind resistance plays a huge part of that. It's called coefficient of drag. Remember when you used to stick your hand out a moving car's window and would move your hand up or down and feel that resistance? Same principle when you bring the bike up. Engine braking will not save an inexperienced rider for just that reason: they're inexperienced. The only thing a new stunter thinks about is balance point. Above and beyond that, it's time and practice. Noone thinks faster is better? Or no one you know likes faster? No one you ride with rips it up on the highway or interstate? Come on. Everybody's done that. And I'm not talking about in the middle of traffic, because I think that's stupid and gives us all a bad name. I'm talking about when no traffic is around.

Knowing stunters is different than being a stunter. :2cents:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oh I'm not sayin I don't do highway stuff.... but 90? and when you're learning? You're right... it's just a difference of opinion. that was just my :2cents: on the subject. I understand what you mean with the drag of the bike... yes, it's there... but I don't know if it will be enough to save you from looping. I personally, would rather go down at 35-40 instead of 90. But to each their own... some people learn differently than others. Stay safe :cool:

:squid:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No, for learning, I don't recommend it, but that was my induction. the guys I used to stunt with (I no longer stunt by the way, as I took a nasty tumble and now I just road race) were pretty hardcore, and within a few weeks of riding with them, we were doing high speed fly-bys on the bridge at night. High speed stand-ups are scary enough, but over a bridge at night? Scary scary.

And you're right: for the newbie learning to wheelie, no amount of wind and nothing will prevent a looper. :D

Take 'em easy, bro. :thumb:

·
Registered
675 Posts
standers

I suggest putting your left foot on the rear peg and keeping your right on the front peg. This will allow you control of the brake which is always a good idea when doing wheelies. Do it in second drive it up to about 9-10K then let off the throttle quickley as soon as the front end starts to drop crack back on it and extend your arms fully. This should slowly lift the front end.

Check out www.stuntlife.com for more into on wheelies. The how to section goes over it step by step. The only thing I disagree with for beginners is clutching the front up... no need in my opinion, unless you want to do slow wheelies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys are giving some great advice. I can power wheelie up in 1st but not 2nd. Now i know how to (clutch slippage) I just ordered some sprockets to make it easier so Im very excited to learn. I just dont wanna drop my brand new bike!! I look forward to the day I can ride a controlled wheelie down the street!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: standers

mainerdr said:
I suggest putting your left foot on the rear peg and keeping your right on the front peg. This will allow you control of the brake which is always a good idea when doing wheelies. Do it in second drive it up to about 9-10K then let off the throttle quickley as soon as the front end starts to drop crack back on it and extend your arms fully. This should slowly lift the front end.

Check out www.stuntlife.com for more into on wheelies. The how to section goes over it step by step. The only thing I disagree with for beginners is clutching the front up... no need in my opinion, unless you want to do slow wheelies.
Have you ever tried clutching up a wheelie? Personally I hate power wheelies. Very unpredictable, and you always end up chasing balance point. While I am predominantly a parking lot stunter, clutching can be much more effective than powering it up when doing highway wheelies. Should you persue stunting like I have... when you get into tank wheelies, powering it up will be impossible. Learn to clutch, you'll wish you had started that way. There's a reason all the pro's do it... cause it's the best way ;)

~The super :squid:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts