Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding about 10 years now and am looking into playing with wheelies. From my perspective, it would seem that you have more control during a stand up than a sit down wheelie? Is that correct?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
once at bp. stand ups are easier to keep there. The initial jump is easier sitting down

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started out doing sit down wheelies and now I just can't get used to the weird feeling when I've tried to do some stand-ups. I know stand-ups are more stable and easier to control but I feel really out of place standing up on the pegs. I hope I get over it sooner or later but at this point I'm not very opptimistic. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Same here. I've been doing sit down wheelies for 1/2 yr then two months ago, when I tried to learn how to do standups. I flipped the RR going about 15-20mph. It felt really odd doing it too. Sit downs is more comfortable for me and with the RR, I could do it in 2nd gear.

I like doing wheelies after going over a hill on a road. Thats always fun, cept when cops get you for reckless endangerment. I tried to speak to the cop about physics. Too bad he couldn't understand.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I could understand falling off the back if it came up too quick, but, being short, I would think that as I get the bike up, I would have a hard time seeing where I was going. I was out watching some kids stunt this weekend and decided to maybe slap a cage and a wheelie bar on my '92 R6 to play around on so I don't screw up my '05.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about that. There is a spot here in town that seems pretty safe for stunting that they go to regularly. Maybe next weekend, I will try to remeber the camera and post some shots. We had to break out pretty quick yesterday. I wasn't keen to the fact that these guys were stunting with little to no gear on, but they were pretty good.
Right at the end, this one guy (after seeing him ride about 20 wheelies) totalled his bike in jeans and a wife beater. Yup, road rash all up his back and arms. Ripped the radiator and pipe off and punched a hole in his fuel tank. we all went racing up to him to see if he was okay, then hauled ass away a few hundred feet when we saw the fuel pouring out of the side of the bike. thought she was gonna blow. Luckily it didn't. and he walked away. I know he's gonna be hurtin' for a while.

Silly squid:squid:

·
Registered
14 Posts
sitdowns are easier for short distance, but for long distance or if you ever want to learn some tricks you need to learn standups. I thought it was easier using a staggered stance. Either way it just takes practice. ANd its gonna feel wierd to be standing up, jsut gotta get used to it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured as much. I just need to break through that wall of " I don't want to trash my nice bike trying if I f*** up" . Hence, throwing a couple hundred into the old one so I don't have to worry if I dump her. I have been leaning towards starting out trying a staggered stance stand up and seeing how that works for me. But like I have been saying, I think most of what I am doing wrong right now stems from the fear of crashing

·
Registered
414 Posts
I prefer stand ups over sit downs. I only use the sit down method for short wheelies such as a quick clutch up in second and hold it there for 10 seconds or so. I like standing on the front pegs or staggered stance where your right foot is on the front right peg and the left foot is on the rear passenger peg. Staggered seeems to come up easier but you have to get used to it. The first time I ever tried it I almost fell off the side of the bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've got an '05 R6, completely stock. Starting out, my mindset is that the best way to get this going, is by clutching up in first, right? One of my questions is how bad is this ragging out my clutch?

·
Registered
414 Posts
It definately takes a toll on the clutch. If you are just learnign I would try clutching it up in 2nd gear. You will be able to get it up as long as you are in the powerband. 1st gear is tricky if you are not ready for it. You should be able to get used to wheelies by powering them up in 1st gear, but as I said 1st gear clutch ups are tricky if you are just learning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what you are saying, if I am understanding this right is that in first for a beginner to wheelies, it will pop up faster in first than in second. I am just basically trying to understand the physics of it before I go out there trying it out. Being in second, it will give the newbie a little more grace as far as torque goes, but it may take a little more effort to get the wheelie going.
I have been riding for 10 years now, and for some reason, I just have never played around with wheelies much. I am really getting an itch to expand my envelope as far as riding goes. A lot of people say that guys are crazy for riding wheelies and stunting and such, but my feeling is that it merely shows that you have that much more control over your machine and you really can make that bike perform.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
just rapidly twist the throttle. Go about 30mph in 1st gear (around 7-8k rpm) roll off the trottle and rapidly gas it. you should have enough torque to get up a bit. Lean forward a bit till you get used to the jerkiness of doing a wheelie before leaning back and trying to find your balance point.

Don't get too cocky though. If you feel like your going too high or too fast up, just roll off the throttle or clutch it in to reduce power.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your going over in a wheelie, do not pull the clutch in, this kills the engine brake that brings it back down. shut the throttle of or use rear brake, or both if you think your going over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i feel 100x more comfortable doing stand ups. thats all i do, you can ride em for miles.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
jab said:
If your going over in a wheelie, do not pull the clutch in, this kills the engine brake that brings it back down. shut the throttle of or use rear brake, or both if you think your going over.
Careful with doing both - that'll lock up the rear at times and cause more damage than if you did just one or the other. Better off just chopping the throttle in that case, and that is usually the newbie, instinctive action anyway.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I've seen a few vids of where noobs locked their rear tire when doing a wheelie then lose control when they land the front down.

I've once broke traction when doing a wheelie half way up. It was kinda scary cause it yanked up like it should, then about a foot off the ground the rear tire spins when the engine hits 10k and the front end flies back down unexpectingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kornface13 said:
how can you cover the rear brake during a stand up? Your foot would be pointed towards the sky....
I have mine set up in a way where when I slightly tap it only little brake gets applied, I'm sure you could do that to your bike by bringing it up a little so that when you are in that position you'll always be able to cover your rear break so you won't loop the wheelie. As far as your comment " your foot would be pointed towards the sky"
so will the position of the peg thus the rear brake, I hope you understand what I mean by that??? If it all fails you could always get one of those complete hand brake kit
you'll needed if you are planning on getting into the advance stunting scene for all those high chair wheelies/flamingos/ tank wheelies, you just apply that hand brake that controls your rear, usually fitted to be below your clutch so you wont loop. ( I know a website that sells them and for that matter everything you need to do to prep your bike BEFORE starting to stunt, but i don't want to list it here since it's my first post and I don't want to be banned for spam). In regards to stand up versus
sit downs that a matter of preference, althought some people find it easier to do stand ups because they can see better in front of them (smart idea) you could just as well ride a long wheelie sitting down you could look to your sides or if you set up you bike
right remove some fairings if you don't want to, try to peek through them there is sometimes an opening depending on you bike.
To the person that has the R6 you should be able to power wheelie with that bike no problem, once you get used to the feeling of your front wheel coming up then you can clutch it up
(just slip the clutch) and once you are comfortable with that then
you can shift thru the gears for a super long wheelie. REMEMBER
TO ALWAY COVER YOUR REAR BRAKE!! because when the bike comes up especially by clutching it (which is more harsh for the bike) it gonna be very fast and you do not want to be caught unpreparred and panic and do something silly like shut the throttle and hit the rear brake at the same time!!!and let me tell you why,when you shut the throttle the bike will come down really fast and you'll learn the definition of a TANK SLAP:eek: and if you do not have a good steering damper you are likely to wobble out of control and get aquaintted with the pavement:crying:
same principle applies when you SMASH the rear brake, the bike will come down really fast. these mistakes are very common amongst new wheelie riders. because of PANIC, you need to cover the rear brake like it's your new best friend but don't get over jealous with it either until you have a good throttle control so that when you smash it you could control your decent by using a bit of throttle until it touches the ground smoothly believe it or not this is by far one of the biggest mistakes some riders make, their wrist movements are way too drastic and this may cause you to loop the wheelie or mouse trap. This is for all the fellow riders that want to pull wheelies and minimize the chances of a crash by as much as possible. this doesn't mean that you won't crash, so dress for the crash if you still want to attract the opposite sex:cool:
Before you try any kind of stunt YOU NEED TO PREP YOUR BIKE by getting a pretty damn good steering damper installed in your bike It helps to dramatically eliminate head shakes,(aka tank slapping) it also helps with wheelies,endos,cornering and most important of all in case you sit you front wheel down CROOKED....) Also you have to go lower on the psi because too much air pressure in your rear tire= DISASTER. This is a huge problem and misconception from alot of street wheelie riders. They run like 40 pounds in the rear tire. Thats ok for normal street riding but if you are going to be riding wheelies this is very dangerous because when you wheelie with a tire with 40 to 50 psi, this causes tire to pavement contact point to be very thin. Its like wheelying on a tight rope. And causes the bike to wobble very very easily. Dropping it down to say 25 psi helps alot by widening the tire to pavement contact area,get a wheelie bar, crash cage,frame sliders,steel lines (helps against brake fading) You should also stiffen up your forks a little. just turned it a few clicks harder so the suspension will not dive too much when you put your front wheel down while doing a wheelie!(also helps with endos but that's another subject) make sure your gas tank is less that half full (easier when you are just learning) having a bigger rear sprocket and/or a smaller front sprocket will make them a whole lot easier
also once you become good at them then there are other things you could do to your bike, it depends how far you want to take it (be careful it's contagious) things like 12 o'clock bar,shorter muffler.... many things. I don't want to overwhelm you so start with that and let me know how it goes I hope this helps :)
Here are the steps again in this order:
1- Prep your bike with the stuff I mentionned before (your bike will thank you and so will your bones and noggin)
2-Wear gear (do not be a KALAMARI or squid as you call them)
3- Find a nice empty parking lot and practice (you do not want a CAGER poping in front of you while you are learning, remember we are trying to MINIMIZE your chances of a crash)
4-learn how to power wheelie (1st gear roll on the throttle gradually until the front comes up, no need to keep looking at the RPM's keep you eyes looking ahead you need to start doing it by feel and engine noise since the begining (it's a good way) .if it doesn't come up keep at it until the fear goes away because that's what's usually keeping you from opening it up, gradually you'll build enough confidence to do it (it's better to try it 20 times and fail but succed on the 21 time) than doing too much the 1st time and crash). since you are only starting, as soon as the bike lifts lets say by a foot or so, roll off the throtte GENTLY to sit it back down and everytime try to bring it higher and higher (do not rev the NUTS OUT OF YOUR BIKE).once you are used to the feeling of you front wheel up, you can move on to the next step
-5 Slipping the clutch to bring it up is very easy so follow the power wheelie advice first and let me know how it goes. do not worry about standing for now just sit tight on your seat and practice until it's like second nature then we'll move on to the next steps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts