Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the advantages of installing them, and I want to make the switch to stainless steel lines when I need to change brake pads. The only manufacturer I've found for the VTR is Goodridge; the only supplier Motorcycle Accessory Depot. (http://www.motodepot.com/street/brakes/goodline.html)

My question...They offer a couple options:
1)Stainless Steel lines- steel or aluminum fittings?
2)Stainless Steel-2 lines- are these really worth twice the money? The only difference I see is in tube diameter and stainless steel fittings.

What would my best choice be? I don't race the bike, but it does see relatively aggressive street use. Ridden almost year round, if that matters. Weather can be sh*tty here, so I was wondering about corrosion on the plain steel fittings.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
What's your thoughts on kevlar brake lines? I have to get new brake lines and I thought about going with them instead of SS

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm running the SS lines. I don't know anything about the Kevlar lines. I think Kyle put some on his bike (if I remember correctly) I could be wrong. You might want to ask him. Sorry. :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
jk6672 said:
What's your thoughts on kevlar brake lines? I have to get new brake lines and I thought about going with them instead of SS
I have SS brake lines and I'm told that Kevlar will not last as long. I don't know if they have found ways around that or not so......... :confused:

I like the steel it looks cool feels great. Go with Goodridge

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I Do have Kevlar lines and I have been very happy with them so far. I've never had SS lines so I cant compare them for you but I havent had any signs of wear from the Kevlar so they must be ok. I can tell you for sure that Kevlar is at least a WHOLE lot better than the rubber OEM lines.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey Enima, or whatever, :D

There's a company called Fastline that makes SS lines too. Aluminum fittings are better because they seal better, due to the fact that aluminum is a softer metal than steel.. The Fastline SS lines are every bit as good as Goodridge, but they are a bit cheaper. I had them on my bike and loved them.

Call 1-800-990-2453 or http://www.starcycle.com

They can give you a price for lines for your bike and they are the cheapest I have found for EVERYTHING for sportbikes. Good luck bro...

P.S. My buddy with a ZX6r put Kevlar lines on his bike after having SS lines and liked the SS lines better. He said they felt a lot firmer than the Kevlar. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks brutha from anotha planet :D
I've got an e-mail into Starcycle to see what prices they come back with (have to watch my phone usage at work).
I'll give Galfer a look as well....

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot~

I also have Aluminum banjo bolts and have not had any problems with them either. However, I would HIGHLY recommend using a torque wrench to tighten them down since the aluminum will strip easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts