Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be news to all, but lately around my area there has been an increase in the number of people rid'n witout a jacket, gloves, helmets, heck, even shoes for that matter! It's going to sandals, shorts, and bikinis, what gives? They must've never hit the pavement, DOH!

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
they seem to be everywhere.

i cannot count the number of kids on bikes i've pulled over that just have no clue about proper riding gear...

pain in the hardest lesson to learn.

------------------
busting bad guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not everyone will get totally suited up just to make a trip to blockbuster or anyother close trip. I know that if I'm in my jeans and a t-shirt, and I want to go get a video or something, I'll go as is with some shoes on. I'm not going to go through all the hassle of getting suited up just to make a 5 -10 minute trip, or for that matter, any close trip.
Ok, with that said, when I do go on more "serious" rides, sure i'll break out the leathers, and the whole nine yards, but for me, I don't have to look like Darth Vader everytime I ride my bike. That's just my opinion.

peace out.

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with sixxer. For just scooting around town and running errands, I will often go in a t-shirt, especially if it is very hot outside like it is now. Putting around town in leathers sucks. Too many red lights to sit and cook at. Of course, when I go for a real ride with my riding buddies, I wear full equipment. I might just add that I NEVER ride without my gloves and foot wear that provides proper ankle protection and has steel toes, no matter how hot it is, or how short the trip may be. Before you ask, yes I have been down, and more than once (three times, if you want me to be specific).

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Man, I hate it like anyone else, but even if it is 105 F I still throw on m heavy armored leather jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans... I throw the leathers on when ever the boyz and I are going out to rip it up... I won't hop on the bike w/out my gear...

Most accidents happen close to home so you know it doesn't really matter to the ground if you are going down the street or are only going to be on the bike for a minute... It doesn't matter...

Just my .O2...

KIRSTY!!

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site www.geocities.com/hondahuney

·
Registered
192 Posts
When it's hot and humid out getting dressed properly is a pain, but much less of one than road rash. I usually am in my Draggin' jeans (at least some protection), gloves and my cordura jacket, which seems a bit cooler than my perforated leather AGV Rage. But on a warm day and with a long ride ahead out comes the leather...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Squid
813 Posts
I've ridden a few times around town with nothing but a pair of glasses and a backpack and its made me feel out of place with-out a helmet,gloves, and jacket. I usually wear everything but leather pants and boots unless I'm hitting the trail. Even though I've done it IMO it's pretty stupid to go with-out protective gear, especialy if you have the gear. I think statistically most accidents occur within a few blocks form your own home, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so that and hearing of people wrecking just running an arron is why I atleast wear a helmet, jacket, gloves every time now.

------------------
John
http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/1144987

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could agree T-shirt jeans and no leather but absolutly NOT without a helmet. I was involved in a accident coming home from work and a car pulled in front of me right in front of my house. Let me tell you road burn on the face is the most pain I have ever felt, After a month in the hospital after reconstructive surgery I never had to be reminded to wear my helmet. It's great to have fun but we all have to be safe, remember nobody looks out for us we have to look out for ourselves.

------------------
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much space!

[This message has been edited by GPz750A2 (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like my American Express card, I never leave home without it (my helmet). Besides, its the law in California. But even if it wasn't, I would wear it nonetheless.
peace out :cool:

------------------

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think that 99% of us can agree that the helmet is BY FAR the most important piece of equipment you can wear. Even though I don't believe there should be a law requiring me to wear one, I would NEVER ride without one. The rest of the gear is incremental in it's insurance value. Personally, I never ride without a helmet and gloves, but not always with full leathers. I am fully aware of the risks to my skin of wearing a t-shirt and crashing, and I'm willing to accept that on short jaunts around town. I'd have to say that 90% of the sportbike riders in my town are in t-shirts in the summer. Even if I'm in full leathers heading out for a longer jaunt, I don't think anything less of the guy in shorts I might see. We all live with a multitude of risks in every aspect of life, and it's up to each person to choose the amount of insurance we require. It would be the same debate on some Insurance chat site (Oh, I'm sure there is one!) where people might be arguing about how much life insurance they have! Ha ha!

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya that's what I meant ..... :)

BTW welcome to the forum tafka and jarelj.

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, leather pants (jeans when running less then 5 min. away) all of the time even when is very hot.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm sorry, jeans, boots, helmets at the least (and usually gloves). but full leathers when taking the bike for toilet paper, no thanks.

it's a matter of personnal preference. i wear leathers about 70% of the time. and when not in leather, i ride accordingly. i think calling someone a squid because it's a 105 and they wanna take a ride in the country and not die of heat exhaustion is pretty silly.

if you wanna whine about not wearing proper safety gear, here's a good one--a lot of people i run into wear a helmet that's at least a size too big on them (and usually a snell 90 or 85) and i won't even mention the chrome nazi helmet and skull caps. and don't forget, the chin strap is dangling about an 1" below their chin.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited September 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tuesday on I-75 at rush hour I was passed by a kid on a Ninja (ZX-7 I think).

The whole scene begged for some kind of witty saying... he was wearing Teva's, a T-Shirt, and had Temp Tags... the Four T's?

It was the exact place where I almost got hit by another Ninja (looked like maybe the same bike, but different rider) while I was in my cage...

I was in the center lane, and he was coming onto 75 from the exit ramp on the right.

There was a slow car in front of him on the exit ramp, followed by two tailgaiting cagers, followed by the aforementioned tailgaiting Ninja.

Ninja-boy decides he is going to make a scene and do the superman launch across three lanes from the slow (far right) to the fast (far left) lane, lays on the thottle, and is cutting right behind my cage.

He is way too close (10 feet or so) for the speeds (about 70mph in a 65 zone moving with traffic) by the time he is trying to move accross my lane immediately behind my car.

Problem was, cager one (the slow one) cut abrubtly into the far right lane from the exit ramp. No suprise. Impatient cager two and three, cut past slow cager one across two lanes into my lane (the middle lane), cutting me off totally (I had to mash the brakes pretty hard). Again, no suprise to anyone that has any business on a bike on the interstate. This left squidboy absolutely no margin.

I saw the whole thing develop, and weaved right while braking the least amount I could without hitting the car that cut me off. Squidboy at least had decent reflexes, and weaved left a lot harder then he originally intended.

He (barely) missed my back bumper (which was now well into the right of my lane) on his way to the left, and barely managed to hold it together without going into the grass in the center median (since he had to so radically alter his line to avoid rear ending me).

Had I not swerved while braking, his path would have easily clipped my left rear bumper. He was probably moving between 85 and 90mph at that point. Not a pretty picture.

As for the leathers, I suffered through my jacket several times this week with high temps and higher humidity. As safe riding goes, I am proud to be a whimp.

I'd rather sweat water then blood. Nuff said.

Bill

------------------
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to eventually close it again on something solid" (GK Chesterton)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with cbrf2boy,

I went for a ride last night.. before I got to my bike (in jacket, boots , gloves) I was sooooo wet it wasn't funny... I changed into shorts and a T-shirt...I was only going up the road.

Generally if I am going around town (50 km/h speeds) helmet and gloves is ok.. but on the Highway is a different story. I don't mind dressing up in this case cause you have wind to cool you off.

But saying someone is a squid because they want to be comfortable is stupid.

IMO if you dress up in Full leathers to go get milk in hot weather... you risk passing out, your head is not clear, you are not comfortable,you become irritated,you fatigue quicker.... COMFORT FIRST!

T-shirt and shorts driving respectivly is no danger to anyone but the driver.

T-shirt and shorts driving like and ass is a danger.

Just IMO. I'm entitled to it :)

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Squid
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mongrel Racing:
Whoa!!! I bet ya do get some weird looks. How's the wind, rocks, and bugs on the old genital area :D :D :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I left myself open on that one :eek: I should of clarified myself a little (protective gear) Surprisingly my seat doesn't get hot here, and it's a little hotter here in Yuma than Phoenix.

------------------
John

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart" - e.e. cummings

·
Registered
17 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
I'm with cbrf2boy,

I went for a ride last night.. before I got to my bike (in jacket, boots , gloves) I was sooooo wet it wasn't funny... I changed into shorts and a T-shirt...I was only going up the road.

Generally if I am going around town (50 km/h speeds) helmet and gloves is ok.. but on the Highway is a different story. I don't mind dressing up in this case cause you have wind to cool you off.

But saying someone is a squid because they want to be comfortable is stupid.

IMO if you dress up in Full leathers to go get milk in hot weather... you risk passing out, your head is not clear, you are not comfortable,you become irritated,you fatigue quicker.... COMFORT FIRST!

T-shirt and shorts driving respectivly is no danger to anyone but the driver.

T-shirt and shorts driving like and ass is a danger.

Just IMO. I'm entitled to it :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

everyone's entitled even if their opinion is reckless. read the hurt report again about how many accidents occur close to home, about the avg. speed. what if you lived (i guess you don't) in a state without a mandatory helmet law (a state like texas). would you go charging off without your lid cuz it was too uncomfy? it would be your right, and i'd defend it. but i'd also tell my three year old that you must have forgotten your helmet, and you must be rushing home to get it (we have this discussion everytime we see a helmetless rider) because i wouldn't want to try to explain to him how stupid the rider was, to admit to him that people were capable of such reckless things (maybe when he's 4 or 5 i will). but that's the reason folks around here ride helmetless all the time. too uncomfy.
you say dress for comfort. how uncomfy do you think massive roadrash would be? or having your jaw and skull fractured?

this is just MY opinion, and i'm entitled.

tx

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
everyone's entitled even if their opinion is reckless. true

read the hurt report again about how many accidents occur close to home, about the avg. speed. what if you lived (i guess you don't) in a state without a mandatory helmet law (a state like texas). would you go charging off without your lid cuz it was too uncomfy? No
it would be your right, and i'd defend it. but i'd also tell my three year old that you must have forgotten your helmet, and you must be rushing home to get it (we have this discussion everytime we see a helmetless rider) because i wouldn't want to try to explain to him how stupid the rider was, to admit to him that people were capable of such reckless things (maybe when he's 4 or 5 i will). but that's the reason folks around here ride helmetless all the time. too uncomfy.
you say dress for comfort. how uncomfy do you think massive roadrash would be? at 50 km/h, done it many a time, im still pretty
or having your jaw and skull fractured?Why, Im wearing a helmet(full face, dot and snell approved)

this is just MY opinion, and i'm entitled.yes you are, and I agree with you but....

I think you didn't quite understand my message..

I saw a Cop with no jacket on, riding his bike. Only a T-shirt .. does this make him a squid ???

A helmet can save your life, A jacket can't ..... jacket's save skin ... :)

When I rollerblade or bike, I wear a helmet too! but I don't dress up in full leathers! ;)

Peace !!!!!!!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited September 01, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
POSTED BY MONGREL RACING

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. A jacket can save your life. There was a study done in Australia a few years back. I wish I had the article but it was printed, I think in Motorcyclist. The studied looked at motorcycle accidents for several years and compared survival. What they found was that if you survived and made it to the hospital, secondary infections caused by road rash was more likely to kill you if you were not wearing protective gear. They equated road rash to a 3rd degree burn and it is treated in much the same way. So a protective jacket can save your life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is interesting !!!

"No it wasn't that he lost his arm ... it was that the darn thing got infected !"

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
hope i get the hang of this bold command...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:

I think you didn't quite understand my message..
i think i did

I saw a Cop with no jacket on, riding his bike. Only a T-shirt .. does this make him a squid ???

no. i don't think you got my point. i was following your post directly, and paying no real attention to squidliness. what i'm saying is, people use the "uncomfy" excuse for riding lidless... but that is somehow rejected by you. even though you said you dress for comfort. so you dress for safety when its a helmet, but comfort for a jacket?

When I rollerblade or bike, I wear a helmet too! but I don't dress up in full leathers! ;)

first, maybe we should do more protective gear... maybe. second, there's not a great heavy hot piece of propelled metal and plastic involved. i dunno, but the speeds aren't as high either, huh? and dicing with cars generally less direct?

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry about the peremptory tone. don't mean to be an ass.

------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts