Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not one that like to complain too much but I just can't hold out any longer. Sunday afternoon a group of us (30 or so) gt together at our usuall meeting spot to go tera it up as we do every Sunday in Charleston SC. To make a long story short we were kinda split up passin thru this littl e one street town.........the large group in front was flying thru.....then was a group of 3 with this 19 yr old who has no plates no License no ins ect..... has been to jail twice for this already....I was behind that group a little ways b/c I saw the cop settin olaong the side so slowed down. The cop pulls out behind me and my buddy looks at our plates and precedes on. Well he pulls up behind kid and sees no plate so he turns on lights and the kid takes off....flying. Well Knowing that with no major turn offs ahead and another small town say 2 miles up the road he radios ahead DUH! Well Anyhow I turned around knowing the cop was probably gonna bust everyone b/c the kid was heading right to them......That he did.....little ass lost it and low sided behind the group at about a buck20 or so slammed into my other buddy on his new R1. Totaled the bike completely SHATTERED the back rim I never knew that was possibl! My buddy hurt his ankle he already broke months ago...and sufferd some road rash. They cuffed that kid right there and loaded him to an Ambulance...he i guess broke foot wrist and arm i think.I really donn't care b/c he has been a punk and accident waiting to happen.what sucks is my buddy...damn he has noluck..if the fids parents name are on the loan he is sueing them! Well Just some anger I wanted to unleash.

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
Total drag. You've got to be a little more particular about who you let ride with you. Also, if you are not certain of a new rider's abilities, or common sense, it is better to be behind (like you were), and not ahead (like your unfortunate buddy). I hope your R1 buddy has insurance.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Similiar incident happened here couple weeks ago, one reason why I always ride tail end charlie in the group. I'd rather chat with the local Barney Fife than let someone slam into the back of me...(again*sigh*)

Xert

------------------

·
Squid
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastAssZX6R:
.....little ass lost it and low sided behind the group at about a buck20 or so slammed into my other buddy on his new R1.

Man that sucks, I feel for your friend.

...he i guess broke foot wrist and arm i think.I really donn't care b/c he has been a punk and accident waiting to happen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You or your buddy/ies should of made that punks injuries plural :)

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
See, its crazy riders like that that make it hard on all of us safe speeders.
Sad thing is the kid will probibly not get what he deserves, and then go do it again.
Hope you friend doesn't come out to far behind in the deal.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
That's a really really lame situation. I
can't amagine what's going through your
friend's mind other than kill - more morphine
please - kill! That really sucks! As far
as the super squid... total loser.

I have to admit that sometimes I see posts
about riding with 20 - 30 bikes and it sounds
like alot of fun. At the same time stories
like this make me glad I ride with people I
know, that are predictable, sensable riders.
I don't have the patience for sitting in the
back of a huge pack of bikes - I'm a little
to agressive to be that passive. Just
one more reason to know who you are riding
with.

I hope that you friend gets taken care
of bro - whatever it takes to make it right
for him. As far as the squid goes.. he's
done this time - sounds like it anyway.

Ride Smart!
Chris

P.S. Oh yeah - I'm gonna open this one - Another
shattered R1 rim!!! :mad:

------------------
I really should be working...

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited September 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Now that's 2 for 2 today on "Been there, done that", for me.
2 weeks before the WERA Grand Nationals - an invitation only event, which I had #7, A kid just like the one you wrote about rear-ended me and totalled my bike. No cops were involved, though, and he did not receive any injuries but he had no insurance and my insurance would not repair my bike without a police report and there was no way to get one in time for me to prep another race bike for the event. Punk was riding a Honda Nighthawk 700S when he slammed into my Yamaha RZ350 @ 40 mph. We were on a poker run, in S.C., and were all making a turn into the gas station when Punk ran up into me just before I turned - which would have been worse, and down we go sliding on the street. I went about 100ft, my bike went 75ft and who cares about the Punk and his bike :mad:
I feel for your friend. Hopefully, the law will work and take this kid off the streets for a long time.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That really sucks. I have always said I can take myself out and deal with it but if someone else takes me out doing something stupid, they better hope I can't get up and start beating the pulp out of them! Do some people just not have brains?? :mad:

------------------
Stacia
Administrator
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont place all the blame completely on the squid. Dont get me wrong..I hate squids..they ruin it for all of us and I am, by no means, defending his actions. But what about the other squid, what other squid you ask? Yes the other squid..no he is not on a bike, but he has the same mentality. yes its the cop. Not all cops have this mentality but alot do. He attempts to pull him over for no tag..ok valid. But the squid runs..so what does he do..jumps into the mode...aint no damn kid on a sportbike gonna get away from me. So now he is just as crazy as the squid..endangering public lives..chasing a bike (for a minor infraction) at a buck 20 trying to prove who has a bigger set of tic-tacs. He caused the squid to crash and could have easily killed the other riders and motorists on the road.

I think the officer should have thought about the danger to the public, assessed the risk and backed off. It was not as though the officer was chasing a felon with warrants or a bank robber, this guy just didnt have a tag on his bike. (as far as the officer knows).

Im not trying to be an ass here, or even lawsuit happy, but your friend should also look at suing the police department. Just for the principle of getting them to train thier officers on when to chase and when to just leave it alone. The safety of the public should outway the squid mentality of the officer and his 'I aint gonna let no punk on a rocket get away from me' mentality.

and as for the squid on the bike...at your next stop...BEAT HIS ASS!

------------------

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:

P.S. Oh yeah - I'm gonna open this one - Another
shattered R1 rim!!! :mad:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excuse me if this has been covered, I'm kinda behind. Whatever happened with the Incredible Exploding Rims on the R1s?

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slakkr:
...the other squid...yes its the cop. ...He attempts to pull him over for no tag..ok valid. But the squid runs.. ...So now he is just as crazy as the squid... ...chasing a bike.. ...He caused the squid to ... ...I think the officer should have thought about the danger to the public, assessed the risk and backed off... ...look at suing the police department... ...The safety of the public should outway the squid mentality of the officer and his 'I aint gonna let no punk on a rocket get away from me' mentality.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is sad.

The way I see it, the safety of the public should outway the squid mentality of the SQUID and his 'I aint gonna let no cop in a cage get me' mentality.

"He [the cop] caused the squid to crash..."

HAHA!! NOT, you ever stop to think that maybe the SQUID didnt HAVE to run. The squid caused the squid to crash. :rolleyes:

I think the SQUID should have thought about the danger to the public, assessed the risk and backed off!

"Look at suing the police department..." if you want to mke a fool of yourself. and be just as stupid as the squid. :confused: while your at it, sue the dealer for selling you the bike in the first place. after all its their fault for contributing to all these accidents, deaths, insurance rates, etc. :rolleyes:

With attitudes like this why have cops at all.. After all, it is all their fault that people stop at accidents. If not for cops we could all just go on our merry way and not be endangered by having to divert our attention from the task of driving to having to think about traffic laws. And lets face it, traffic laws are there just to give cops an excuse to cause accidents.

ok, i need to get off of this one before i explode.

:mad:

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited September 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
WOW GreenNinja,

you totally missed the point:

First:
{The way I see it, the safety of the public should outway the squid mentality of the SQUID and his 'I aint gonna let no cop in a cage get me' mentality.}

HOW many people have to die so a cop can catch a speeder??? what about the ones that run the red lights in big suvs and kill families. he only ran because the cop was chasing him...the cop always has to get his man, is that it?..forget about public safety??? Give me a break...yes the squid shouldnt run..but the cop should no when to call off a persuit..

second:
{He [the cop] caused the squid to crash..."
HAHA!! NOT, you ever stop to think that maybe the SQUID didnt HAVE to run. The squid caused the squid to crash.}

yes the squid is responsible for his own actions, but may not have crashed if he wasnt being chased a 120 mph. He probably would have slowed back down and rode with the group, or even caught when the group stopped somewhere for a break. They do have helicopters to follow people like this.

{I think the SQUID should have thought about the danger to the public, assessed the risk and backed off!}

YES HE SHOUDLD HAVE!! IF he would have thought he wouldnt have run in the first place, but he didnt so it is up to the cop. The cop also has to think about the public safety. Apparently the squid wont but the cop (who's job it is to protect the public) should care and constantly assess the risk.

third
{"Look at suing the police department..." if you want to mke a fool of yourself. and be just as stupid as the squid. while your at it, sue the dealer for selling you the bike in the first place. after all its their fault for contributing to all these accidents, deaths, insurance rates, etc. }

You went way off on this one...look these lawsuits are happening every day..same as racial profiling...the only way to make this kind of behavior stop is by suing..otherwise the police dont care..Its not about suing for money..its about changing the persuit policies.
suing everyone else...wow..you went way over on that one..that sounds like california johnny cochran bullshit...as stupid suing the gun manufacturers "cause my son killed him self with a glock". As rediculus as your examples above..

Fourth
{With attitudes like this why have cops at all.. After all, it is all their fault that people stop at accidents. If not for cops we could all just go on our merry way and not be endangered by having to divert our attention from the task of driving to having to think about traffic laws. And lets face it, traffic laws are there just to give cops an excuse to cause accidents.}

attitudes like that :) wow, your way out there on this one. Im not saying that cops shouldnt do thier jobs and not to catch anyone (hell, Ive had alot of tickets)..Im saying that they should know when the risk to the public is greater than catching the speeder. What is the justification of killing a family going to church by a cop who was trying to catch a guy with no tag, or who did a california stop?? It happens every day and without legislation it will continue to happen.

Check out the deaths caused by law enforcement officer in high speed persuits. The majority of the deaths are caused by cops chasing people (motorcycles and vehicles) over minor traffic infractions. When the risk to the public far outweighs the need to catch the violator, the police should back off or back off and use other means (helicopters, road blocks, spike strips, etc) to catch the violator.

I agree that squids suck ass. They should all be caught and ticketed. But its not going to happen, so why should people die in an attempt to accomplish this?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Slakkr (edited September 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Slakkr (edited September 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I gotta side with Green Ninja here, the only person responsible for the squid crashing was the squid. If you re-read the original story, it only says that the cop turned on his lights and the kid took off. It says nothing about him chasing at high speeds. I agree that no tags is minor, but the kid made it into something else. It's just too bad that someone else had to suffer for it!

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have to say, Slakkr, from the information given I don't agree with your assessment of the cop as a second squid.

Only one person was breaking the law.
That was the squid.

Only one person made the decision to run. That was the squid.

Only one person wrecked.
That was the squid.

Three strikes against the squid. Hopefully, he'll stay out.

------------------
Austin Bikers on the Web

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would be great if he would stay out...But you know he wont..I just hope next time that he only injures himself and not anyone else.

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
interesting. seems the govt in colorado agrees w/slakkr.

denver..
denver city police are no longer allowed to engage high speed chases unless the suspect is fleeing the scene of a felony involving a weapon. not even stolen cars can be chased.

a while ago i posted how some riders i have ridden w/but did not know were in denver for the weekend. a stolen car being chased by cops rearended one of the bikes.. rider & his g/f died instantly.. teens left & as far as i know are still at large... this and another similar case has prompted the new law.

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slakkr - you are what is wrong with this country. I can't believe I'm the only one with the [email protected] to tell it like it is. Why don't you go live in another country where the police are more forgiving to criminals instead of "killing" them by pursuing them? Sue the police department? Pull your head out of your @ss! I guarantee the next time you need the police because you are the victim of a crime or you need one to write an accident report on the cage that just flattened your sorry @ss you will be thankful the police were there.

P.S. I'm not a cop.

------------------
nohenrys

Life begins at 150.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok, so Nohenrys was a bit brutal in his post, but honestly slakkr the whole point you were making is a bit silly. Lets be responsible for our own actions....if we run, we are braking the law and putting other innocent people at risk. If you crash into someone it is your fault, if the cop crashes into someone it is the cops fault.

Look at it this way. The cop chases you and runs over your sister, or mother or whoever. According to your theory the cop is innocent because it was you he was chasing and he wouldnt have chased you and killed anyone if you wouldnt have run, but he did and you caused it so you are going to jail for the cop running over someone..

UGH

:rolleyes:

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm, Slakr is reading a WHOLE lot into this one. Guess he has a major hard-on with police pursuits.

So, lets look at what we DO know. Squid riding without plates in a group ride. Most of group has already passed cop. Cop pulls out, checks a few bikes, notes that Squid has no plates, flips on the lights to pull squid over. Squid takes off. Cop radios ahead to next town, 2 miles up the road. Does cop engage in high speed pursuit? Doesn't say, but the implication is not. Squid is doing 120mph, which means he covers the 2 miles in a bit over 30 SECONDS!! (hey, he had to get up to speed) Slams into other riders who are stopped by the cop ahead... No turn offs? Why ever in the world would the cop bother with a high speed pursuit when a) he's got buddies up at the next town and b) there's no place for the squid to go unless he's got them neat MI:2 morphing dirt tires?

(BTW, given the speed of the cops' response in the next town, my guess is that the local constabulary had already coordinated to pull some bikes over, and squid had a near terminal case of stupidity.)

BBTW: my ride's not registered either. But it is insured (well, liability) and I've got my endorsement. Of course, the only way it can do 120 is by dropping it out of a plane, without a parachute, so.... no running for me, I could barely outrun a police dog! (I wonder what a cop will say when he pulls me over for no plates and I hand him my insurance???) The only reason it isn't registered is I don't have the title sorted yet.

Police pursuits, yes cops must excercise more wisdom. Once they have a chopper on the pursuit, there is little reason for high speed hijinks. You can't outrun a chopper (unless you're on a Y2K Superbike), and you can't outrun a radio (unless you're on the Millenium Falcon!). Of course, the only problem is, cops are not the most intelligent members of society (true fact, people who are too smart make lousy cops, they get bored too easily), and the sort of folks who usually run would have a tough time passing the intelligence/wisdom tests that cops have to face!

Why didn't somebody just trip the squid in the parking lot? I mean, what was he doing on that ride?

------------------
"It came to pass..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you guys are being too harsh, and taking what Slakkr said out of context.

True, maybe he did read too much into this particular case, it seems the cop may not have engaged in a chase at all (the Squid took off at the mere thought). But Slakkr raises a valid point which I agree with. Everything in life must stand the cost/benefit challenge. And high-speed chases (though rare) where I cop is chasing someone for a minor infraction is something far more dangerous to society than the infractor (who may be your ordinary Joe Schmoe, not a hardened criminal). Cost vs. Benefit.

Indeed, cops do have a lot of information to process in a small amount of time, but when lives may be at risk, we must hold them to a high standard.

------------------

1 - 20 of 30 Posts