Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Someone who tries to ride beyond their abilities, to show off, is in the game just to look cool, puts others at risk, usually not wearing the appropriate gear. That kind of stuff defines a squid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I am a squid too. I like being a squid, its fun.

Why is it called being a "squid" though? I mean, why Squid?

P

·
0 Posts
milzie said:
Why is it called being a "squid" though? I mean, why Squid?
Some say it's "squirrely kid" shortened. Others say it's because the blood stain on the road looks like a squid's ink cloud.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Squids (the sea creature) also tend to move around by darting in straight lines, stopping, rotating, and taking off again.

In much the same way, squids (the motorcyclist) are known for their ability to twist the throttle and go fast in a straight line, but having to slow to a ridiculously low speed to complete a turn.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Spitfire said:
Squids (the sea creature) also tend to move around by darting in straight lines, stopping, rotating, and taking off again.

In much the same way, squids (the motorcyclist) are known for their ability to twist the throttle and go fast in a straight line, but having to slow to a ridiculously low speed to complete a turn.
Good somebody got the real definition correct. "Squid" just describes a style of riding. It does not refer to riders that are irresponsible and dangerous.

Good job Spitfire

·
Registered
193 Posts
Real Squids...

Well guys, I live near the largest Navy base in the world, and even though I "sorta" knew the squid definition, let me say that I have seen more than a hundred "navy squids" on sportbikes and almost all of them fit the forum definition.

I also hang around the local bike shop sometimes on Sat morning and I have seen more than a dozen almost new sportbikes come in trashed. The salesman just shakes his head saying "I knew that squid was going to throw it away". I've seen brand new riders sitting on, and signing loan papers on a ZX9 and a 2001 GSXR1000 in the last 2 months. Guess what, both were Navy guys! I forgot! I need to ask the sales guys whether either has come back on a truck lately! Hope they haven't.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I am not a squid then as I tend to go really fast around corners and lowside sometimes...well only once so far.

P

·
0 Posts
VYPIR said:

Good somebody got the real definition correct. "Squid" just describes a style of riding. It does not refer to riders that are irresponsible and dangerous.
Mr. Daniel Webster has spoken. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: Re: 748

748 abuser said:

Until you're wearing the kevlar reinforced riding shorts and tank-top, you can hardly call yourself a squid.
LMFAO!

I wear a carbon fiber g-string and ride down the coast. No shirt. I also hang my helmet off the side of my bike in case I impress a local chick and she wants to go for a ride. If I see any cops along the way I usually just flip em off.

bRad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts