Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on polishing the frame on my 98 ZX-9 this winter (If you can't ride it you should be working on it). I also wanted to get an aluminum under body peice made to replace the stock plastic one that does not match the bike. The problem with this is that the best price I could find on getting one made was $800! What I need to know is if any of you guys know a way to get plastic to resemble chrome/polished aluminum. I tried buying that chrome paint for bumpers but it just looks like silver paint even with clearcoat over it. I called tapeworks and the chrome decals they have can't be contoured like the under side of the fairing is. I've thought about getting one made out of sheet metal then getting it chromed but I still think it will cost more than I want to spend. Have any of you guys had experience with heating decal plastic up to get in to follow the contours of something? Some sort of shrink wrapping that is chrome looking would be the best thing but I've never heard of such a thing. Anyway I know I'm a loser for asking but this is really the last thing I want to do to my bike (engine already done...). Any help would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Squid Question.

Hey, have you looked into Mylar film and other types of
covering for RC airplanes? They have many colors and types
that may meet your needs. Just my .02$ Lots of luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey buddy, I have a ZX9R ('00). Are you talking about that gray piece of plastic on the bottom of the bike? I had that piece on mine too. Actually it's still on there but after I dropped the bike in my garage and it cracked, I had it repaired and painted green to match the rest of the bike. My point is that you may be able to paint that piece. Try going to your local bike shop. If they don't do painting or body work, check with local body shops, they may be able to help you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have 3 questions- WHY? WHY? WHY?!!!
Now that I got that outta my system, I don't think mylar or any type of decal would work unless you never ride the bike. Do you trailer to your poser hangouts? I'm not surprised a fabricator wants $800 to replicate the stock piece. Your best bet is to have one made of aluminum sheet (probably one eigth inch thick) in a simpler "V" shape.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
There are companies that are now chroming plastic. I have seen helmets, and bodywork that has been chromed. Maybe someone else has seen this stuff, and knows where it can be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about Neon Colors and Neon Speed Screen to match?
It adds 5-10 Hp i hear...

Kidding aside, Motorcylenews.com did an article of an R6 with chrome looking plastics. The picture did not do its justice because i heard from people that saw the bike say it looks totally metal chrome. Just go to the website and maybe do search for the article. It was posted maybe in September sometime.

Wasn't cheap though....3K plus for the plastics...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY TRISTAN

Don't worry about me my friend, if you'd like to come to the East Coast to learn how to ride and make your bike look great when you can't ride it in the winter, we won't hold your poor attitude against you, we'll just beat it out of ya!!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You asked for "HEAT."

machman said:
Don't worry about me my friend, if you'd like to come to the East Coast to learn how to ride and make your bike look great when you can't ride it in the winter, we won't hold your poor attitude against you, we'll just beat it out of ya!!!
Hey machman,

You're barkin' up the wrong bush! :D The title of your thread is "Squid Question!!!...Bring the Heat!!!" So why are you getting defensive?

I've ridden with Tristan, and I can assure you that he's an extremely fast and talented rider. I think if he did come to your neck-o-the woods, it would be Tristan doing the 'schoolin'! ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Check this out machman.

http://www.headhunter-racing.com

click on helmets and go to the chromeffx link. They've got pictures of helmets and an entirely chrome busa. They are located in Minnesota which isn't exactly the east coast but it could be worse. Click on the busa and pull it up full size. The look is pretty convincing.

Also, I don't understand why somebody has to be labeled a poser because they wanted to make their bike unique. Motorcycling is supposed to be about freedom and self expression. Are we all supposed to just ride them around like they came from the factory? Baaaa Baaaaa, little sheep looking all the same in a little herd. NO THANKS!! It's your bike and your money machman, you do whatever blows your hair back.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Birdman said:
Check this out machman.

http://www.headhunter-racing.com

Also, I don't understand why somebody has to be labeled a poser because they wanted to make their bike unique. Motorcycling is supposed to be about freedom and self expression. Are we all supposed to just ride them around like they came from the factory? Baaaa Baaaaa, little sheep looking all the same in a little herd. NO THANKS!! It's your bike and your money machman, you do whatever blows your hair back.
Well said, James! I get shit from the Ducati *purists* all the time for having an orange and black bike. I think I'll take it to the World Ducati Weekend next year, just so I can turn the stomachs of the "Ducatisti!" Your reply also aligns well with the thread regarding stock vs. custom bike paint. I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a used bike that wasn't wearing the factory paint. I prefer a ride that is slightly different from the rest of the herd. Go to any track and see how many factory paint jobs you see.

As for chromeffx, they do really quality work. I have a friend with one of their helmets jobs...nice stuff.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Does that mean fur is OK?:D:D Nothing beats a tiger striped gixxer!! They're grrrrrrreat!!!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
A sheet metal shop might be able to help you with that. The technique you are looking for to do a custom piece like that is hammerforming. One of those custom car tool supply houses had a book or maybe a video tape about how to do this but I can't think of their name offhand. I have fooled with this a little bit but it's a lot of work and requires the right tools. You need to use a soft aluminum (1100 or 3003)which is readily available from metal supply houses but you also need an oxy-acetylene set to anneal with and a host of body hammers, dollies, and a shot bag to work the shape. You might also be able to make a back-up die out of something as crude as concrete using your existing piece as a mold or, if you really want to get in to custom panels, purchase an english wheel. Sound like too much yet? I don't know of any suppliers but... they do chrome plastic?!

·
Registered
468 Posts
748_abuser said:
Go to any track and see how many factory paint jobs you see.

[/B]

Yeah, that's because pretty much all the bikes at the track have been crashed, at least once, and are wearing aftermarket racing plastic. No racer is going to pay big $$$ to replace his fairing with OEM stuff after a crash. where do you think most track bikes come from? There are four sources. 1) crashed street bikes (too much damage to make them plateable, or saleable) with aftermarket fairings on them 2) stolen bikes 3) factory supplied race bikes (rare) 4) bikes bought new to be raced on the track (by far the rarest of the rare). Numbers 1 and 2 account for over 90% of the bikes you see on the track.

[Edited by Rossco929 on 11-16-2000 at 04:23 PM]

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Rossco929 said:
Yeah, that's because all the bikes at the track have been crashed, at least once, and are wearing aftermarket racing plastic. No racer is going to pay big $$$ to replace his fairing with OEM stuff after a crash.
That's not the point I was trying to make. However, thanks for your incredible insight. I was having a difficult time sleeping, knowing that there must be a reason for all those "non-factory" paint schemes.

Thanks Rossco! You're the shit, man!

G

·
748_abuser said:
Rossco929 said:
Yeah, that's because all the bikes at the track have been crashed, at least once, and are wearing aftermarket racing plastic. No racer is going to pay big $$$ to replace his fairing with OEM stuff after a crash.
That's not the point I was trying to make.
Paul, oh, you meant that if given the chance and the means, a lot of riders do like their bikes to have a unique appearance. Man, I sure am glad that this discussion continued so that I could put my mind at ease, because I wasn't sure what your point was. <Sarcasm mode off> :D

[Edited by Pete on 11-17-2000 at 08:54 AM]

·
Registered
468 Posts
748_abuser said:
That's not the point I was trying to make. However, thanks for your incredible insight. I was having a difficult time sleeping, knowing that there must be a reason for all those "non-factory" paint schemes.

Thanks Rossco! You're the shit, man! [/B]

Blow me, fool. If you want to paint a perfectly good bike, destroy its resale value, and look like a squid to boot. Go right ahead. It's your life.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts