Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my SV650 and I've had it in the picture post for a couple of weeks and I've had about 6 calls on it. I kid you not three of them were exactly like this:

Caller: Do you still have the bike?

Me: Yeah, still for sale.

Caller: It's a crotch rocket right?

Me: Yeah, it's a sportbike.

Caller: How fast will it go?

Me: Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?

Caller: Yeah, I've been riding 1000s.

Me: Well, this is a 650 twin, it's not gonna have the power that a 1000cc inline four has.

Caller: What's a twin?

Me: The engine has 2 cylinders in a V instead of four cylinders in a straight line.

Caller: OK (Doubtful Tone)

Caller: All my friends have Gixxers, will it keep up?

Me: Well, stoplight to stoplight, no, it's gonna run about 2 or more seconds slower than 1000, but through a twisty road a good rider can keep up fine.

Caller: How high does the speedometer go?

Me: 150, but it'll top out about 125 or so.

Caller: OK, (Doubtfull Tone) What would you take for it?

Me: I'll go as low as $4K.

Caller: I got a bank loan for $3K, would you go that low?

Me: No, $4K is as low as I'm going.

Caller: Has it ever been layed down?

Me: No, it's just like new.

Caller: Could I come and take it for a test ride?

Me: If you put $4k in my hand, you can take a nice long test ride, and if you don't like it, I'll give you your money back.

Caller: OK, well thanks, I might call you again to come look at it.

Me: Yeah, Thanks.

I don't know what's worse, someone being that ignorant about something that they're willing to spend $3K on, or the fact that one of their "friends" is willing to let a total squid ride their GSXR1000.

I bet his friend has given him a ride on the back of his bike, and now he feels like he has to have one. Peer pressure is probably the strongest force in the universe.

I feel bad for this kid, when his $3K only buys him a 7 year old 600 and all his "friends" give him shit about buying such a POS.

Anyone else had these kinds of calls when selling a bike?

I don't remember quite this many when selling my other bikes in the past.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I sold one of my first Bultaco 250 SherpaT trials bikes to a chap that sold it to a friend who told me it was the shits & would not keep up with a Suzy or Yamaha 250MX.

Before that I sold a VINTAGE LE Velocette 175cc with flat opposed pistons though SV heads & liquid cooled, chassie & not a frame, hand start, hand shift, shaft drive, though s/arm rear suspension, for a nothing price, & he had built a dirt ramp & was trying to get air with the poor old gal.

True it had alloy wheel rims, but not for competition & only to cut down weight. I nearly cried when I saw the above, but I was in dire need of money to keep the farm going.

For some yrs now I have given a m/c shop, where I am buying a new bike from them, the privilage of selling my bike at my price. True not as much if I had sold it at home, BUT not facing all the twits like you have or those wanting to test ride it or only pay half now & the rest next month to all the other crap.

Then sometimes you run across a darn good buyer & you will bend your back to make them happy like my '87 TZR-250 where I gave him a slightely used r/tyre, a new r/tyre, new chain, steering head brgs to other small things not even mentioned in the price.

In turn when I want there is a new r/tyre waiting for my 600r at the shop he works at.

·
Registered
88 Posts
:D I feel your pain, when I listed my Zx-7 I got all kind of stupid calls. One was some old dude who called me 3 times wanting to trade my bike for one of his tractors (WTF?). :dunno:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Squid Call

At "What's a twin?", this guy would've gotten a dial tone from me.

What a clown.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Until now I've only bought and sold cruisers, and I've never had an experience close to that. Old people tend to not be affected by peer pressure. Funny as hell though. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smitty said:
Then you do have a sweet 250 & isn't that gal the easiest thing to flick around on the roads?
The sweetest bike I've owned and the most fun I've had since my old RD400 Daytona. Its certainly not a bear like the RZ500...that thing had to be wrestled into corners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
usually people know what "twin" means before they call for a 1000cc bike! that reminds me of when i got out of the theatre after watching "biker boyz" and this guy kept asking a guy on a sport if he could rev up his bike and he says "im calling you out!"...hahhahaha

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The crotchrocket term is the part that annoys me most of all. I get some remark to that just about everyday, and I have to expaint each time, that crotchrocket is a not so great term for a super sport, which my bike is not. Ussually this entire explanation goes to waste.

You ever thought there is a limited ammount of IQ in the world, and the more of us there are, the less there is to go around?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These guys are getting worse and worse.

The new picture post comes out every thurs. and I'm getting to dread Fridays because of all the boneheads that call.

Today was classic.

Caller: Is it Crotchrocket?? Is it Crotchrocket?? (I can barely understand him from his accent)

Me: Yes, it's a sportbike.

Caller: Does it have clean title, no liens, or nothing?

Me: No, I have a lien from the bank that I'm financing it with.

Caller: Oh, Oh, Oh, uhhh, how much you owe bank?

Me: That's none of your business.

Caller: Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, I need to know, uhhhh, how much you owe on bike.

Me: That's none of your business, if you buy the bike, I take the cash and pay off the loan and get a release of lien, and you take that and get a new title.

Caller: Ok, Ok, is this your phone number?

Me: Yeah, you just called me at this number and I answered.

Caller: Ok, I call in morning and come see bike.

Me: I'm trembling in anticipation.

The call was so weird, he kept cutting away to another line and the phone kept beeping like someone was pressing the buttons while he was talking to me.

Freakin' weirdos, I'm gonna keep the damn thing if I have to keep on messing with people like this.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another one,

I just get another freakin' nutcase on the phone.

Caller: I'm calling about the bike, do you still have it?

Me: Yeah, still for sale.

LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG PAUSE

Caller: Is it a crotch rocket?

Me: Yeah, it's a sportbike.

Caller: Has it ever been layed down?

Me: No. It's just like new.

Caller: My bank is closed, can I get the VIN?

Me: That's not a problem. (I fetch the title and give him the VIN)

Caller: Ok, my bank's closed now, so I'll call them in the morning and get the loan value.

Me: OK, just let me know if you want to come see it.

Caller: OK (Hang Up)

I swear, of all the calls I've had, almost every single one has asked me if it's a crotch rocket. IT'S THE F**KIN' PICTURE POST! THERE'S A PICTURE OF THE BIKE RIGHT THERE! CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT IT'S A DAMN SPORTBIKE?

What's with CROTCH ROCKET? Why is everyone using the words CROTCH ROCKET? Are they trying to act cool? Like all the sportbike riders out there are calling their bikes crotch rockets, and they don't want to appear like they're the non-riding teenage punks that they are?

I'm getting tired of talking to these idiots. The next call I get, I'm gonna try and record it and maybe I can attach it so you guys can hear that I'm not exaggerating a bit.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
LOL, some are simply unaware of the term sportbike, and misunderstood "crotch rocket" as the official designation. while others consider it cool to say so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the people callin it a crotch rocket are probably the same squids that will ride with out a helmet, just a wife beater and some shorts.. yea thats gonna work. road, meet head.. head meet ...splaaaaaat. :squid:
sorry your not having good luck selling the bike man. :(

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fools, all of them

I've never had problems like that selling a bike, but I put a car on Ebay (actually ended up a good deal for me) with MANY pictures from all angles, and a VERY detailed description of condition and options. I got this 19 yo kid calling me like twice a day to ask "Does it have a sun roof?" (there are a few pictures where it is clearly visible) and "What transmission is in it?" (The first line of the description was "3.0 Liter V-6, 5-speed manual transmission"

People just don't/can't read.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts