Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the wife is on board to "eventually" get a new sportbike. :) Now, I was looking around and saw mention of the Sprint RS. Anyone with any information on the bike? Is it comfortable for a sport tour and can it handle two up riding?

------------------
Richard
'89 EX500
"If you have to ask..."

G

·
Richard, the T-RS is much like the VFR, hell it's a darn copy of it IMO. And, unlike the VFR, you can get factory hardbags for it (which was the only reason it nudged out the VFR in a recent sport-tourer competition done by one of the M/C rags). From everything I have read and heard, it is an excellent bike for it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have to agree with Pete that its a great bike, but it is defianately no copy of anything. It is genuine Triumph. Trust me, ride the Sprint and ride the VFR, if you buy the VFR based on the joy of the ride you are missing some brain cells. In my humble opinion, nothing feels like a Triumph triple, nothing! :p

PS- the only troubles the bike will give you is its tendency to try to get up on it bike tire and walk everywhere you go, It's a wheelie machine. :D
------------------
Colin
2000 Triumph Speed Triple
Roulette Green

[This message has been edited by colin409 (edited February 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think the RS had hard bags... :confused: Isn't that the ST? I thought the RS was more a true sportbike compared to the ST. Just trying to figure where to go with my riding.

------------------
Richard
'89 EX500
"If you have to ask..."

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your right. Just checked my Triumph catalog, and turns out they only have soft bags and a Hard Top Box for the RS. The RS is however in the same field as the VFR, sport-tourer. I do understand, however, that it is a very capable sportbike

------------------
Colin
Roulette Green

G

·
I had the bikes mixed up, too. My bad.

Colin, by saying it was a copy of the VFR, I was only trying to point out that the bike is very similar in ergonomics and design intent to the VFR. Triumph did everything it could to squeeze the VFR out of it's top rating, and succeeded in the minds of a lot of people. I don't play the game of "my bike is better than yours", ever.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Neither will I, it's just that I've never heard of anyone who enjoyed riding the VFR over the Sprint RS. Me personally however, if I was looking at that type of bike, I would buy the VFR. I just think it looks better. However, I don't want that type of bike, I want a sportbike. So I own a Speed Triple.

------------------
Colin
Roulette Green

G

·
Colin, I can easily give you the names of 500 riders who will say that they prefer riding the VFR over the Triumph. There's just two qualifying comments I need to add to that: (1)they are all the type of idiots who refuse to admit that there might be a better bike out there than the one they spent their hard-earned money on, and (2) I am not one of them. ;-)

------------------
Pete
1994 VFR 750
Houston, TX

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's just that if I were to buy a sport-tourer, I would do lots of long trips. The reliability of the Honda would be what I would want, it sucks to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a burnt up wiring harness or something else equally stupid.

------------------
Colin
Roulette Green

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the information. I also just got a call from a BMW dealer. Seems he has a 1999 RS1100S with no miles on it for $15K, but also with 3.9% financing. I am wonderingif it is worth taking a look?

------------------
Richard
'89 EX500
"If you have to ask..."

·
Registered
206 Posts
EEEEKK! No not BMW! I like them, but even the guys I know that ride them say that they ride like "tractors". I don't think a tractor is what you want as a sportbike enthusiast.

------------------
Colin
Roulette Green

G

·
Colin, hope you realize that my post was an attempt, although maybe lame, to get a chuckle out of you.

------------------
Pete
1994 VFR 750
Houston, TX

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pete, It worked! At first I was a little hurt, I felt like man this guy knows that many people that hate my beloved Triumph. Then I saw your points made me laugh whole heartedly. Thanks for the chuckle. ;)

------------------
Colin
Roulette Green

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since the Triumph ST beat the VFR in quite a few of the Euro-Mags. I feel confident that the RS will be at least as capable a sport tourer as the VFR. And if properly optioned maybe even better. The RS has Options such as: Belly Pan, Heated Handgrips, Tank Bag, Hard Trunk, Soft Saddle Bags, Aux. Power Plug Ect. and if you don't like the handlebars they are easily swapped for the taller ones from the ST. All of these options are factory pieces, so you know they will work the way they were intended to work. Something alot of aftermarket items can't say. I have no doubt's the VFR is a good bike, and all of the magazines worldwide that pick it every year as the best motorcycle on the planet can't be all wrong. The Triumph however is more unique and different and isn't lacking much in quality. that in a sea of "Me Too" motorcycles in my opinion makes it a worthy choice.

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
thomas i'm gona hopefully find out sat, if the weathers ok i'm going to test ride a vfr and the sprint s/t i think there both even in alot of things so i'm going to let the ride decide

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have fun: The Triumph has the stronger engine and the options but the Honda has the better fit and finish. The Honda also feels smaller to ride, almost like a 600. Oh the Honda also has a problem with the Regulator/Rectifier overheating. It appears to be fairly easy to fix though, (see the April issue of Rider magazine pages 98 and 99 for the fix.)

K.H.

------------------

G

·
Thomas, you are right about the reg/rec, which seems inevitable. From folks talking on the VFR list, it seems to occur most often around the 15K mile mark from what I recall. I only have 7K on my '94, so hopefully I have a few more miles to go. Thanks for that reference, I had not seen that one yet.

------------------
Pete
1994 VFR 750
Houston, TX

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_Krone:
Have fun: The Triumph has the stronger engine and the options but the Honda has the better fit and finish.
K.H.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who told you that?? I haven't heard one person bad mouth Honda's V4. If anything they are about even, the Honda has more HP where the Trumpet has more torque. Seems like a wash to me.

But then again, I'm just sticking up for my ride. :)

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000VFR:
snip...

The linked brakes are really not that bad and I don't even notice them to be honest. Being this is my first bike it probably makes it easier to ride than without.

Ian

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian, this VFR is my first streetbike, too, so I don't think that I would notice the linked brakes all that much either. It's more of a personal taste issue than one with real basis, though arguments can be made for and against. Hell, Freddie Spencer doesn't seem to mind 'em when he's on the track on his VFR.

Are you on the VFR list? If you want the addy let me know. I'm not on it any longer, but I do read the archives and have learned a TON about VFRs.

There is a lister with the 840 kit in his 96 (I think it's a 96, maybe 95), though it is for sale. I've never read of any problems with the kit, and supposedly, Brian Law of Dynamo Humm is excellent to do business with.

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts