Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
actually glocks are a little more expensive, as i have seen about 100 bucks more expensive. one of my frat bros has that exact same gun, but with the stainless slide, and he only paid a little over $400 for it at a gun show, brand new.

i personally am in the market for a handgun right now, but since i am not 21 yet it is hard to buy since i have to find a used gun that i want, in michigan. i am pretty much set on a glock 19. i went to firing line the other day and LOVED the 19, its a wonderful gun and i have heard great things about it. i have been on www.glocktalk.com asking around, and the consensus pretty much is buy a g19 for concealed or target or anything. everyone says it's a great piece. right now im torn between the 19 and 23, the only difference being caliber (23 is a .40) and i think i'm just about set on the 19 due to cheaper ammo, as it will be primarily a range gun until i turn 21. but my buddy that has the xd really likes it, and his is .40. he is a larger guy, but you can never tell when he's packing or not; it seems to be a pretty good concealed weapon.

maybe simon will chip in his :2cents: since he has been pretty much the most influential source in my gun search.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I have heard good things about it....the bi-metal will set you back a bit more than 400......and 9mm and .40 cal are the same price....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i held it at the store and it was very small it has 2 types of clips. one short and another with built in extender. Without the extender its a little too small to hold. If i get a gun it would have to be a sub compact in case i decide to get ccw permit later on. Springfield is the oldest gun manufacturer and they offer lifetime warranty on their guns. The only reservation i have would be the accuracy of the gun since it's a 3 inch barrel. I would like to shoot it and see...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah i might be going to firing line tonight, and i might actually shoot one of those and see how i like it. it seems like a well made gun, i would like to see how it compares in my hand to the glocks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
MIBUSA said:
i held it at the store and it was very small it has 2 types of clips. one short and another with built in extender.
these guns come with clips now too? I'd pay extra for those. I saw they have a couple different kind of magazines available too.

-=bmacd=-

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
MIBUSA said:
i held it at the store and it was very small it has 2 types of clips. one short and another with built in extender. Without the extender its a little too small to hold. If i get a gun it would have to be a sub compact in case i decide to get ccw permit later on. Springfield is the oldest gun manufacturer and they offer lifetime warranty on their guns. The only reservation i have would be the accuracy of the gun since it's a 3 inch barrel. I would like to shoot it and see...

Accuracy should not be a problem considering more than about 10 yards you should not be shooting anyway.....trust me if you ever get a ccw and end up needing to fire...make sure you are 100% certain that you are in the right or you will screw yourself for life....but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
and if thats where you mean, then i was in there the other day and i held the xd, didnt shoot one, felt odd in my hand for some reason, and when i aimed it, it was like hard to center it with my grip, it didnt seem to fit me quite right, but i would like to shoot one and see how it fairs against the g19

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Actually, Benelli is the oldest gun maker in the world, already being 300 years old when Eli Whitney built his first arms factory in Connecticut in 1798.

Also, the term is "magazine", never clip. Semi autos do not use clips, they use mags.

Springfield is an excellent firearms company as are many others.
You cannot go wrong with many of the pistols that are made today.

If you like a Glock, great. If you like something else, great as well.
Try it out and find the one (or the many) that fit you comfortably and you can shoot well and inspire you with confidence.

What other people think about a particular pistol is fine. Then, just go and see what you like.

A 40 cal is not a "powerful" caliber, if you are referring to recoil. Many women shoot them well. Their recoil is somewhat more "whippy" or "sharp" compared to the 9mm. This is because it is basically a 9mm with more powder behind it and a different type of powder as well.

As an example, a 45 cal is more of a "push" while a 357Sig is very "sharp", much more so than the 40.

Good luck in whatevery you choose! The Firing Line is a nice range.

Doc was thinking of getting a group together to go shooting there and then some food after. Maybe he will set that up soon.

Simon is also having another CPL class soon, so perhaps you can join that, if you are close to being 21.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
and if I am not mistaken..they will not rent one out unless it is used or in their rental area.....and I have not seen one in their rental guns yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats the store off of hix that i went to. Judge if and when i do get a ccw it would just be for the fact that it would be much easier to purchase a gun and transport it when i need to. I highly doubt i'd be carrying a gun around much less i'd point it at someone and shoot. :eek: even with a ccw

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hmm judge, so they let you shoot the used ones? that would be excellent, because their rentals are somewhat limited. im taking the ccw that simon teaches next weekend. if you guys are going to go shoot sometime let me know i would love to go, im thinkin about going tonight actually.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I could be wrong...but having a CCW will not make it easier to purchase......you still need a "greencard"

and as far as pointing it.....that was a blanket statement.....I see so many people talk trash about carrying...but do not believe any of them have any clue what would happen in the case that they felt it necessary to shoot......

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Judge said:
I could be wrong...but having a CCW will not make it easier to purchase......you still need a "greencard"

and as far as pointing it.....that was a blanket statement.....I see so many people talk trash about carrying...but do not believe any of them have any clue what would happen in the case that they felt it necessary to shoot......
somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but that CWP IS your greencard, passport, and visa. That's your ticket to the yellow brick road.

-=bmacd=-

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Judge said:

you are wrong the permit will make it easier (as far as paperwork goes)

and another thing that Aus's classes is excellent for is teaching you the what will happen "AFTER" you use your pistol for self defense...

Fadi.. I took the class and am getting the permit for the same reasons as you.. I do not ever plan to carry for personal protection :2cents: also I tried that particular pistol and it was nice except for the fact that it was too small for my hand to fit comfortably.. even with the extender my pinky still felt sqooshed...

Hey Aus - is this next class your advanced one you were mentioning? I wanted to sign up for that one but you never replied to the question before on details :(

E.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
getting a ccw will make it much easier to purchase a gun. You do not need to get a permit from the cops or even apply for one at the store and come back. If you find a gun you like you can buy it right then and there the only thing you would still have to do is take it to your local police stationa nd get it registered (2 seconds)
I would rather not carry a gun the laws are too tuff on that. If you get pulled over you have to mention that you have a gun, etc... you can't be drinking and have a gun, you can take it here but not there, etc... If you point the gun without being threatened you're in trouble. It is not worth it to carry a gun unless you have reason to believe someone is out there to harm you.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Neller0414 said:
hmm judge, so they let you shoot the used ones? that would be excellent, because their rentals are somewhat limited. im taking the ccw that simon teaches next weekend. if you guys are going to go shoot sometime let me know i would love to go, im thinkin about going tonight actually.

they charge 15 bucks plus you buy a box of ammo from them (15 is a cleaning fee.....if you buy it they do not charge to clean it....)....and like I said....I could have been wrong about purchasing with a CCW...I thought it only made it easier if it was purchased from private owber rather than store.....but hey...I cannot get one so I do not know

1 - 20 of 58 Posts