Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you know I am not still riding this season because I need a new motor. I am usually in Florida by now but I am staying in Maine for the winter. I did notice today that here in Maine lately I have seen a lot of bikers still out riding (wish I were one of them). Heres the catch!!! Every single one of them have been a sportbike rider. In the summer the cruisers outnumber the sportbikes 10-1, but I have litererally only seen sportbikers still riding for about the past 3 weeks. Anyone else in sub freezing weather notice a similar trend or is it that us Maine Sportbikers are just that much tougher and more passionate than everyone else???:twofinger :eek:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To deep into winter in my area due to snow & such, but when it comes to colder weather & riders can still function it is the very OPPOSITE in my area & I am basically the only sportbike rider on the hwys. Mind you throughout the season for ever sportbike I see on the hwy (note I say HWY & not in town riding) I see 10 to 20 HD/cruisers as these are the most popular irons.

Are your sportbike riders in town on on a long stretch of the hwy? If just short runs in town then good possibility they are riding their bikes to some cafe & back again. Same here in many cases BUT it is to the beer joint on their HD/Cruisers.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
well jab, i think one part of your observations during the summer that you failed to include is the number of those cruisers that happen to be from out of state. you know yourself that Bah Hahbah tends to be touristy. its kinda tough to rip it up through Acadia NP at 10mph due to traffic.

i'll bet most of the bikes you see now are more locals and most of those cruisers were from out of state. just south of you, the majority of bikes here that are seen are sport bikes. and when it gets cold, you typically don't see cruisers out unless they have a wind shield.

EDIT: i was just up in your neck of the woods last week. too bad i didn't think of getting a hold of you. we could have hooked up for some coffee or a beer. i went hunting up in Vanceboro which is East of Lincoln (2hrs from Bangor)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well most of them have been in town, probably just quick trips, But I did see two guys out on I95 on a couple of triumphs(sportbikes) a few days ago. Your right monkey most of the cruisers in the summer are from out of state, although I am down in portland now so a little mor local riding community down here. Now Im on the hunt, to see howmany cruisers I see out and about. Sorry guys I havent had to go without a bike for more than a day or two for a couple of years now and am getting very bored!! So I notice all these things. Monkey you should have looked me up, I am in portland now. Just one thing though, you said hunting but we didnt hear anything else?? Any luck?? Or did the elusive Maine white tail prevalil again!!!!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
jab said:
Just one thing though, you said hunting but we didnt hear anything else?? Any luck?? Or did the elusive Maine white tail prevalil again!!!!
let me answer your question with a question

:huh: there's deer in maine? :dunno:

in short...no luck at all. didn't even see one. saw some moose though.

portland huh? thats only about 2 hours from here i think, isn't it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id say 1-1 1/2 hours. I havent been around during hunting season for a few years but I've heard they are thinning out! The coyotes are plentiful though from what I hear!!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
monkey said:

in short...no luck at all. didn't even see one. saw some moose though.
You coulda' had a moose! Just tell 'em you're a city boy and didn't know the difference. You always thought Bullwinkle was Rudolph's brother with one of those giant's diseases that the family wouldn't talk about.:)

BTW, more Harleys here when it's cold.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Dad said:
You coulda' had a moose! Just tell 'em you're a city boy and didn't know the difference. You always thought Bullwinkle was Rudolph's brother with one of those giant's diseases that the family wouldn't talk about.:)

BTW, more Harleys here when it's cold.
i can see the humor here Dad but i'm too serious of a hunter.

i saw about 5 moose all week total. the coyote population is very high up there and about 3 years ago, i just learned, that they were logging in the area and the loggers poached about 22 doe's. now if you take the fawn/doe ratio of 2 over the course of the 3 years, thats over 130 deer now missing from the herd. plus it was a very hard winter for them last year.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I drive a lot in Indiana, and a reasonably large amount in Illinois, and I have seen NO motorcycles at all in the past two weeks (or so), after the cold snap passed through. Don't know what kind of area you live in, but here we have high winds (no hills or mountains, and rare forests/woods) and killer wind chill as a result.

If my bike didn't need maintenance during the winter, I'd consider getting electric-warming gloves and a helmet curtain, but that'd be the only way to make riding survivable here. My hands freeze below freezing, with a pair of wicking snowboard gloves and my leather gauntlets over top.

·
Registered
925 Posts
27º here and I`m heading out in about an hour. First day I`ve had the new bike and not had to work so I`m not sitting around :mad:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I try too ride as long as I can. I normally put the bike away after the first heavy snow , since the state of Nebraska puts soo much sand and other chemicals on the roads. I do miss my old job b/c it had a heated parking garage. A few weeks ago I came out and my bike had a nice layer of frost all over it. Can't say I've ever had too scrape my visor with my drivers licence before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, luck ran out today. It's really about time I guess, the first major storm, and a blizzard no less. Put the bike in storage this morning, kinda sucks, but I had a great season. At least I had the chance to ride it there...the clouds had just started to spit a few flurries out as I'm pulling it into the garage. I guess it was all sorta last minute. :)

Now the fun part. Taking it apart for the season to tune!

And to all you who can still ride :twofinger ...have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts