Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are (again) teaming up with Team Arizona to offer our members (and visitors) a discount on the next Team Arizona Track Day!

(This will be my last track day in AZ, so this is your last time to come out and beat up on the old slow Sportbike World webmaster!)

Details:

Price $95 (Normal Price is $135)
Date: Aug, 25th 2002 - Sunday (5:30am to 11am)
(Gates open at 4:30am)

Team Arizona
(480) 998-9888
Make sure you tell them you are with Sportbike World to get the discounted rate!

To get this special $95 rate you must call 14 days in advance! (By Aug 11th) Sportbike World reservations after that date will be $120!!!

We need a set amount of riders to reserve the track, if we do not have enough riders to pay for the track by Aug 11th we will have to cancel this date. Our last track day (July 14th) was canceled because we did not have enough riders signed up 14 days in advance. Make sure you call early!

Set-Up and Machine Requirements:

For you:

Crash-worthy riding suit. We do not require full leathers, but they are strongly recommended.

In the Novice/New Rider/Slowest Pace group, a two-piece suit that has a zip together flap in back is O.K.

For the two faster groups all two-piece suits should have full zippered connections and riders are advised to wear spine protection as well Full gloves, gauntlet style preferred Boots, at least 8" high, your ankle joint should be fully covered Helmet: full coverage, no damage

Your ride:

Good mechanical condition
Good tires
Properly operating controls
Liquid cooled motorcycles must not use glycol based engine coolant (antifreeze). Distilled water with Redline Water Wetter is O.K.
Mirrors removed or taped over
Lights removed or taped over

More answers to your questions:

Track dates have Sponsors, the Sponsor may bring merchandise to the track for you to see or try. They also provide lunch for all of our paid riders.

TrackTime rents the entire facility, so you will be able to bring with whatever pit support you would like.

Spectators and speed groupies are welcome at the track, so long as they are reasonably well behaved. There is no admission fee.

There are no open concessions at the track. Fuel is available within 10 minutes of the track. Although lunch will be provided, you should bring with extra food and snacks.

Extra Services available:

On-Track rider coaching at no charge, just talk with one of the TrackTime staff. It's not a class, just solid advice from experienced riders & racers.

Suspension set-up help and advice.

A track photographer is usually available as well.

Groups:

Group 1 (Black) is for street riders. This group is for anyone on any bike. Black group riders can opt for the "Don't Pass Me in a Turn" vests. The pace is monitored by on-track Coaches and our cornering crew. Riders who are faster than the pace get invited to the next group.

Group 2 (White) is for experienced sport riders and amateur racers on lighweight class machinery. As in the Black group, when you build speed, you move up.

Group 3 (Red) is the fastest group.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the track!

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aug 25th status

We are pretty close to being able to lock in on August 25th. We still need 8 more riders to register by Aug 11th. If we don't make the minimum, we will cancel the date. Registrations made after the 14 day lead has expired will be full-fare, no discounts.

Mark
T.E.A.M. Arizona
480-998-9888

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Aug 25th status

Mark Weiss said:
We are pretty close to being able to lock in on August 25th. We still need 8 more riders to register by Aug 11th. If we don't make the minimum, we will cancel the date. Registrations made after the 14 day lead has expired will be full-fare, no discounts.

Mark
T.E.A.M. Arizona
480-998-9888
Mark,

Instead of working the corners and riding for free I will pay this time to try and up the rider count. I'll be calling with my credit card info later this afternoon.

Come on people call!

·
Registered
56 Posts
One more thing

We got the track to agree to earlier hours (you gotta love new management). They have agreed to open the gates at 4:30am, we'll have a rider's meeting at 5:30am, and the track will go green at 6:00am.

That's an extra hour of riding for us.

Mark

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: One more thing

Mark Weiss said:
We got the track to agree to earlier hours (you gotta love new management). They have agreed to open the gates at 4:30am, we'll have a rider's meeting at 5:30am, and the track will go green at 6:00am.

That's an extra hour of riding for us.

Mark
I'll start calling a few friends today and threaten them with bodily harm unless they sign up. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
trackday

I just signed up today, and for anyone else who is interested you better sign up now, there is only 4 or 5 spots left and once they are full no one else is able to get in..so for the people who show up at the track on the day of, your gonna be SOL! :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in... After doing the track day last weekend at California Speedway on the full AMA Course, rocketing down the 1 mile front straight at 150 mph on the TZ and then navigating the tight stuff on the other side of the track, i'm happy to say im now officially comfortable on the bike.

Im anxious to see just how much better my lap times will now be at Firebird, vs my first outing there a few months ago...

If i manage to exceed my own expectations, i will seriously be considering a CCS license.

WooHoo!

·
Registered
97 Posts
trackday

Hey TZ250!! Cool! I was wondering if you were gonna make it out! Cant wait to hear about the AMA trackday, im sure it kicked some serious butt!! See ya out there...in the white group, right? You better not be in the newbies!!:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Kim,

i dunno what group ill run in... the newbies is fun because its a bit tame.... but ya i hear ya... i may go to the white group... after all, if youre there itll be a bit more fun. I think we were running pretty close last time at Cali.

:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trackday

TZ, i might start in the beginners just for the fun of it..and plus there might not be as many people in there as the white group...Yea, its a bonus when were on the track together..this will be a good one!! Slowest lap time buys the beer!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll be there... Signed up last week. Not too sure what group, they didn't ask. I wouldn't mind warming up in black then moving up to white. But if the black group is small, I'll stay there and hangout with RacerXgirl (if I can keep up!). Got two other friends to sign up. Hopefully, I'll meet some of you this time. See ya.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aug 25

So far, the Black group is the biggest. I expect that I'll probably kick a bunch of you sandbaggers up a group or so. I'll circulate for a while at a nice moderate pace. If you pass me, off you go!

Maybe I'll paint my tailpiece green so that you'll think that you are passing a ZX-6 and won't recognize me.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm there!!!! Look forward to visiting Firebird again. I signed up last week or Monday, I don't remember. See you all there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aug 25

You will probably ride with the red group. The time splits between the groups is not hard and fast, but the white/red split is about 1:18 or so. It's not just lap times, but also cornering speed and rider comfort.

The white group often gets to be the biggest group, so I like to have anyone who is able, to move to the red group. You will probably learn more with faster riders anyway.

I don't remember where the black/white split falls. I think that it may be about :28 or so. RacerXGirl has been riding right about where the split should be, so whatever her recent lap times have been will be the beginning of the white group.

Course Control does not check lap times anyway. What they rely on are the observations made at the corner stations. If they see someone who is consistently making much better corner speeds than is average for the group, a corner worker notifies Control, who then notifies the rider at the end of the session.

This makes it very easy to keep things moving smoothly and no one is out there chasing people off of the track.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will be calling in tomorrow (Friday) to sign up. I've done 2 track days so far, my first day I ran a best lap of a 1:24.5, my second track day I was down to a 1:17.8. What a world of difference feeling comfortable and getting the bike set up better.I just get killed on the straights by the bigger bikes since I am only running an SV650. I bought it as my track bike since I want to start running CCS lightweights next year. I plan on running in the white group this time, I was in the black group last time and was getting way too held up. Towards midday I was bumped to the faster group.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AZ-Mille said:
I will be calling in tomorrow (Friday) to sign up. I've done 2 track days so far, my first day I ran a best lap of a 1:24.5, my second track day I was down to a 1:17.8. What a world of difference feeling comfortable and getting the bike set up better.I just get killed on the straights by the bigger bikes since I am only running an SV650. I bought it as my track bike since I want to start running CCS lightweights next year. I plan on running in the white group this time, I was in the black group last time and was getting way too held up. Towards midday I was bumped to the faster group.
Looking forward to seeing you out there again Alan!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts