Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so when did sportbikes (the actual bikes, not this site) come into being. And what was their closest predecessor?

I'll find something to send for the best answer. hmmm, a Track Day Handbook.

SEE IT HERE

Just wanted to stir some interest in this section:cool:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
sportbikes said:
OK, so when did sportbikes (the actual bikes, not this site) come into being. And what was their closest predecessor?

I'll find something to send for the best answer. hmmm, a Track Day Handbook.

SEE IT HERE

Just wanted to stir some interest in this section:cool:
The BSA Rocket3/Triumph Trident.

The engine was based on Edward Turner’s Triumph two-cylinder 500 cc Speed Twin of 1937 and the next year's sports model Tiger 100. Although the three cylinder design was started in 1962, they never hit the showrooms until the summer of 1968.

They were one of the fastest bikes then available and were also labelled the best road bikes of the time.

Incidentally, they held the title for a whole four weeks, when Honda released the CB750K...

·
Administrator
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumbs2: Congrats!

The term cafe racer - I think it came from europe and grand prix racing. Any idea on the origin....

In fact the 1983 Kawasaki GPZ series was the first in what we now call sportbikes, but was billed as a cafe racer style. (at least I'll say that until someone proves me wrong:dunno: )

Firefox - send me your name and address and I'll get you the prize.

·
Administrator
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 750 was a true turning point in history, but did not have the sportbike look or feel. You rode the bike sitting up... not learned over.

Question was vague... depends on if you can remmeber the old day ;)

Xx954HxCafexX said:
If anything it would be the 1969 CB750

4 cylinders
Disc brakes
electronic start

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have a ton of respect for the old days, i rode my 550 all the time and turned it into a cafe racer myself.

waiting for next weeks question...!

·
Registered
352 Posts
cafe racers are not "actual sportbikes". cafe racers were customized bikes, customized by their owners. and to the purist cafe racers, the bikes were old brit twins and whatnot but 60-70's UJM bikes fit in too. and a cafe racer was when theyd racer around town from cafe to cafe, coined probably in englands "Ace Cafe"

sportbikes come all souped up and pretty much race ready, stock from the factory, so im gonna quote from a book here:

"The orginal gsxr750 was the bike with which modern japanese super-sports motorcycles were invented."

Definition of a sportbike taken from wikipedia.org

"Sportbikes have comparatively high performance engines resting inside a lightweight frame. The combination of these help maintain structural integrity and chassis rigidity. Braking systems combine higher performance brake pads and multi-piston calipers that clamp onto oversized vented rotors. Suspension systems are advanced in terms of adjustments and materials for increased stability and durability. Front and rear tires are larger and wider than tires found on other types of motorcycles to accommodate higher cornering speeds and greater lean angles. Fairings may or may not be found on a sport bike. When used, the fairings are shaped to reduce aerodynamic drag as much as possible and less as wind protection for the rider. The performance of some stock sport bikes is so great they can be used on a race track right off the showroom floor. It is commonly said of these motorcycles that you can race them on Sunday and ride them to work on Monday."

which i think more accurately answered your question of "When SPORTBIKES came into being." maybe your qeustion should how been about streetfighters or custom bikes came into being.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow, some good info there... If you want the book that bad, go ahead and take it!
I dont really know that much about motorcycle history, I just recalled it from a post I read.. But, it's up to Sportbikes to decide the winner...it IS his contest...

·
Administrator
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Xx954HxCafexX said:
cafe racers are not "actual sportbikes". cafe racers were customized bikes, customized by their owners. and to the purist cafe racers, the bikes were old brit twins and whatnot but 60-70's UJM bikes fit in too. and a cafe racer was when theyd racer around town from cafe to cafe, coined probably in englands "Ace Cafe".......
Well, OK... you did your homework, so I'll give in and send you something to. PM me.

I was unaware of the name Cafe' Racers origin, and I'm buying the cafe-cafe ride for now.

But I still believe that it was the "cafe' racing" that promoted pre-made (race ready) sportbikes, hence they were the origin... without getting into a specific bike.

By the way.. we are starting a Wiki here for sportbikes in particular. http://sportbikes.com/sportbikeWIKI.aspx
If you are family with how they work... be my guest to help out. We are still setting it up, but it is live and open to contributions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts