Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would mention a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I am talking to someone of the general non riding public, and they want to know what kind of bike, they never seem to know what a "sportbike" is. Obviously the make and model are useless to them. So I usually have better luck when I then tell them it's a "crotch rocket". However, personally I am partial to "superbike". It just has a much better ring to it than the others and I would like to see it used much more commonly. Anyone else have similar problems, or other nicknames? - RP

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bleah.

I too hate it when anyone calls it anything but a sportbike or superbike, cafe racer is fine as well. My friends wife in paticular annoys me when she calls it a "rocket bike".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too don't like anything but sportbike.When they ask I tell them " It's a sportbike". Then they ask what kind, even when I know they will have no idea what I'm saying, I will go with the croch-rocket reply just to end it. And I love talking bikes, just not to the ones who think they know, but have NO IDEA.

Chad

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You forgot to mention the worst of them all "Oh you rode one of those Ninja's"

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Harley crowd coined the name 'Crotch Rocket' to denote any type of sportbike. The idea here is to highlight that a sportbike offers ‘performance’ only. This is an attempt to deny any other value or positive quality to a sportbike. The intended assumption here is that a sportbike offers ‘only’ fast acceleration and nothing else. Unfortunately, it is only speed and acceleration that presents any meaningful numbers. It’s a little more difficult to list on paper the other differences between a sportbike and a Harley or cruiser. Again the assumption is that if you want a ‘real’ motorcycle with ‘real’ power, comfort, real world usability, than a Harley Davidson is the only way to go.

Most of us don't realize how effective the brain washing from Harley Davidson really is. Much of it is extremely subtle and appears harmless, but when taken in full measure, it becomes overwhelming. I was in Kroger’s (grocery store) a little while ago and noticed that at least half the customers had Harley T-shirts or some kind of Harley clothing. Even an old lady in an electric handicap cart was wearing a Sturgis T-shirt. While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.

·
Registered
492 Posts
DaveL said:
While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.
Hell it's been working too. How else can you explain peoples' willingness to spend 20k on a POS and get treated like a shitbird at the dealerships?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Crotch Rocket :mad:

I hate the idea that I spent 10K on a devise just to transport my crotch from one place to another really fast. :twofinger

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveL
While the Japanese have been engineering, the Motor Company has been promoting.

Originally posted by kvpZX9R

Hell it's been working too. How else can you explain peoples' willingness to spend 20k on a POS and get treated like a shitbird at the dealerships?
Many forget HD's lobbying ability too, during the 80's when they were in serious financial trouble they went to washington saying japan was trying to put them out of business by flooding the market with cheap motorcycles,

What resulted was a signifigant increase in price for models over 700cc, and another reason for me to not want an HD, other than there crappy bikes that suck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Bullet Bike"

I have always liked the term "Bullet bike" (or would it be one word, bulletbike?, like superbike is one word.) when referring to a sportbike. I also like to use the term Superbike as well. I never use the term "Crotch Rocket", I hate it.:mad:

Another term I don't care for is one I have heard doctors and nurses jokingly use, "Donor Cycles". :mad:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Crotch Rocket :mad:

I hate the idea that I spent 10K on a devise just to transport my crotch from one place to another really fast. :twofinger
What if you're going on a bootie call? :D

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Sportbike...or superbike. Crotch Rocket is gay and played out like I'm in HS or somethin. Some of my friends call it a "rocket"...that botheres me less. Whenever HD riders ask how I like my "crotch rocket" I ask them how they like their "butt tractor". If they don't understand the expression (ie your bike runs like farm implement...masey davidson) then I usually say nevermind and walk away. Not worth the effort. :twofinger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts