Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any statistical evidence of who sportbike riders are by age? I've been having a "discussion" with a Harley rider and I made the statement, "Most sportbikes are puchased by kids", by which I meant those under the age of 22. Now I'm trying to figure out how to back that up.

Was I right in my assumption, or was it baseless?

EDIT: I suppose this poll tells me something, if I assume we have a simple random sample of the population here, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
kan: I was going to put on the old poll an update that went like this: well sort of only only copied & dropped it on to here with some modifications.

Man that poll started out in '01 & here it is almost the end of '03. Like Hammer said he was amazed the poll was still going along.

Interesting factor is 75% of the names are no longer on this board which tells one some might have stopped riding or are on different boards YET I am also on different boards & some of the names are simply not there either. Ages since start have gone up 1 to 2 yrs since the start of the poll.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is pretty interesting. I've read a lot about ages and motorcycles today, and US studies show a significant increase in the number of over 40 riders out there. By prejudice, I'm leaning toward the opinion that they're mostly riding cruisers, and not sportbikes.

I did find a study in Australia that concluded, based on statistical data, that a majority of sportbike riders were "young", but I'm not sure if its valid to draw an inference about the US based on that or not. Since they have stricter licensing than we do, I'd actually suspect their data to be skewed toward the OLDER crowd, since more mature folks are likely to put up with the bureaucracy and kids aren't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My subjective response is that the largest percentage of sportbike riders are in their 20s, another significant percentage are in their 30s or late teens, and then the percentages shrink dramatically from the 40s on up in age.

I ride with a sportbike club here in Phoenix. The vast majority of the club is in their 20s and 30s. We have a couple of teenagers. And their are a few of us (me included) in our 40s and older.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is quite subjective, but I'll throw in my :2cents: anyway. While I and the guys I ride with are in our mid to late 30's, most of the guys I see riding are obviously in their late teens or early 20's. I don't see too many women on sportbikes around here unless they are on the back; the neighbor's 20yo and his GF, for instance. Although I did see one on a hot-pink CBR a couple of months ago, and she was in her 20's as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1: where is the pole you were talking about? I would cast a vote, and I would like to see where it stands. I guess I have misses it. I will look.

Here: I would estemate an even number of >40 and <40, the difference is All the <40 are on cruisers. I have to say myself that I plan to make the change over at around 35 - 40. Just because I would imagine my knees will make me. I don't have any illusions about keeping my eyes and reflexes forever either. I figure after retirement, cruiser for local and goldwing for cross country. If I make it to retirement. There are several of those that have made it pulling out in front of me. I will say this though. The numbers for <25 and 25><40 are pretty similar until you look at accidents. I can definatley see the riding maturity in the later group.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Tippmann said:
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12400

When i voted on the pole i was in the "below 20" catagory. Now if i were to vote again i'd have to vote 21-30. Ah how time fly's.:crying:
Pretty soon your voice will start changing, you'll get hair in funny places, and maybe even start liking girls. ewww.....:twofinger

I'd guess it'd be hard to get anything more specific than just "motorcycles" in anything. Maybe not though, any luck so far?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
BikesRToyz said:
1: where is the pole you were talking about?
Here.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, the poll is linked in my original post about it. What's linked here is the Australian study I found. So, sh, yeah, I got some info, but its not US-based, which would be ideal. And I actually find that incredibly surprising. What I really need is a marketing contact with one of the makers (H,Y,S,K); surely they know their target markets!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Lets consider the looks of a sportbike, and who they appeal to the most..They are race replica's for the most part, young people are usually atracted by race anything, be it cars, bikes..so they tend to select a race replica rather than a crusier, for the most part..all ya have to do is look at the sale figures..But, here where I live, you can go to the Rock Store, on any given Sat. morning, and see quit a few of us older riders on some slick sportbikes, everything from Aprilla RSV's to Duc 999's, gixxers, Honda's, Yam's and even a few Kawi's in there, they are usually modded for spirted riding...prolly a bunch of older X racers...;) with ground down knee pucks, ect..If you went by the #'s at the above mentioned hang out, I'd say that the over 40 crowd would likely be in the 20, to 30 % catagory...prolly closer to 20, but as a whole, I doubt, it would be even that high, as you get older, and depending on your situation, priority's become changed...usually $$$ is very high, along with family, and business...Most younger people, place Fun as a high priority..:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well boys I'm 62 and you won't catch me on anything but a sportbike. This was taken this year at Laguna Seca.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
never2old said:
Well boys I'm 62 and you won't catch me on anything but a sportbike. This was taken this year at Laguna Seca.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
My hat is off to never2old for how many others can claim the same?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Smitty said:
My hat is off to never2old for how many others can claim the same?
Thanks Smitty, I'm just trying to keep up with you, you've been enjoying these things longer than I have. I believe you are somewhere around 70 if I recall correctly. Keep it up my friend.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Here's the information from the Motorcycle Industry Council's statistical annual:

1998 (most recent census information for this particular study)

% of Total Owners
18-24 = 10.6%
25-29 = 10.9%
30-34 = 11.5%
35-39 = 16.0%
40-49 = 24.6%
50+ = 19.1%
Not Stated: 3.2%
Median Age: 38
Mean Age: 38.1

The 6.57 million motorcycles in use in 1998 were owned by approximately 5.70 million owners.

*This study does not differentiate between types of motorcycles (i.e. sportbikes, cruisers, ATVs, etc.).

·
Registered
103 Posts
kanwisch said:
I've been having a "discussion" with a Harley rider and I made the statement, "Most sportbikes are puchased by kids", by which I meant those under the age of 22. Now I'm trying to figure out how to back that up.

Was I right in my assumption, or was it baseless?

EDIT: I suppose this poll tells me something, if I assume we have a simple random sample of the population here, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption.
When I was 22 in 1980 there were no sportbikes. The closest thing back then was a standard with lower bars. I did have a '75 Honda CB550F. The "F" meant it had a four-into-one exhaust, but a big heavy one. I also had a '79 CBX. What an engine. Six chrome pipes comin' outta there....it was a work of art, but a little wiggly in the corners.

You're probably right about most sportbikes, but I suppose the big open-classers are not nearly as affordable (including insurance) to those under 25. Here's something I found from the NHTSA:

"A recent analysis of age trends shows that over the past 10 years, fatalities in the 20 to 29 year old age group, the group with consistently the highest annual number of motorcycle fatalities, decreased, while fatalities in the 40 and over age groups increased. During this time, however, there were more driving age individuals in the 40 and over age group in the United States.

Since 1980, motorcycle ownership among the 40 and over age group has increased significantly, from 15.1 percent in 1980 to 43.7 percent in 1998."

Obviously, Harley Davidson is largely responsible for this last change.

Here's my bike history:

At 15 I bought a '69 Yamaha DT125 Enduro
At 19 I bought the '75 Honda CB550F
At 20 I bought a '73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
At 23 I bought the '79 Honda CBX 1000
At 25 I bought an '82 Yamaha 550 Seca
At 25 I bought an '82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
At 27 I bought an '82 Yamaha 550 Vision
At 38 I bought an '81 Honda Goldwing Interstate
At 38 I bought an '85 Honda VF1000R
At 44 I bought an '81 Yamaha 650 Special II
At 45 I acquired a '73 Kawasaki Mach II 350 triple

I still have the last four, and miss all the others.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
slaintedan said:
Here's the information from the Motorcycle Industry Council's statistical annual:

1998 (most recent census information for this particular study)

% of Total Owners
18-24 = 10.6%
25-29 = 10.9%
30-34 = 11.5%
35-39 = 16.0%
40-49 = 24.6%
50+ = 19.1%
Not Stated: 3.2%
Median Age: 38
Mean Age: 38.1

The 6.57 million motorcycles in use in 1998 were owned by approximately 5.70 million owners.

*This study does not differentiate between types of motorcycles (i.e. sportbikes, cruisers, ATVs, etc.).
That's some really cool information. I wonder why there's no differentiaition between types. There's certainly a presumption out there, I think, about ages and types of bikes, but I'd sure like to see the facts.

The data you present backs up the Australian findings I had looked up online, which were that there were a large number of riders over 40.

Next time I'm in The Big City, I'll buy you a round or two, slaintedan.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
kanwisch said:
That's some really cool information. I wonder why there's no differentiaition between types. There's certainly a presumption out there, I think, about ages and types of bikes, but I'd sure like to see the facts.

The data you present backs up the Australian findings I had looked up online, which were that there were a large number of riders over 40.

Next time I'm in The Big City, I'll buy you a round or two, slaintedan.
The way the report is structured they only differentiate between street-use, off-road, and dual-sport motorcycles. I'd like to find a study that breaks down the street-use category into specific subcategories.

As for the offer to buy a round or two...no need to twist my arm. Just be warned, one or two rounds usually leads to ten or twelve, which is when I call the car service and we end up at a Craps table in Atlantic City at 4am. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts