Sportbike World banner

Sport-twins & gas mileage

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Ronin369 
#1 ·
I'm really wanting to get a twin for my next bike and I have heard a few things about big sport-twins like the TL1000 and the Superhawk getting crappy gas mileage.

For everybody who has a TL or SV650 or a Superhawk, what kind of mileage are you getting and is it any kind of factor in getting a twin vs a four?

Thanks,
Eric

#2 ·
My husband's TLs was pretty hungry for fuel and my SVs doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, but then I don't do anything to "save" more fuel either. 130 miles to the tank is fine by me.

MPG was absolutely NO factor for either my husband nor I when we bought our V-Twins. As long as your rides have gas stops factored in, you will be fine. I have yet to run out of gas on an all day ride in the sticks. :)

#3 ·
Can't speak to the liter twins, but my SV gets about 45 mpg after putting on a less restrictive pipe and conservatively (one size up) re-jetting. When stock it got 45-50 mpg. Still get about 140-150 miles before the fuel light comes on blinking with about one gallon left in the tank. Are you worried about $$/mile or miles/tank? If it's miles/tank, most twins have a big enough tank to go at least 130+ miles.

#4 ·
It's more curiosity than anything. I'm leaning more to a Superhawk or TLs and was hearing 100 miles to a tank on the Superhawk and was wondering if it was a small tank or crappy mileage or both. I was also curious if that was something common to all the big sport twins.

Elo, how was your husband's TLs in terms of comfort? I've heard they were a little on the racy side as far as ergos, but you could put on a set of heli-bars and make it relatively comfy.

I'm really more concerned with the seating position than gas mileage since I ride to work most days.

Thanks,
Eric

#5 ·
I would add an Aprilia to your consideration. Great quality, bullet-proof motor and superb performance. The Falco has a bit more comfy riding position and the company is cutting very good deals right now. Mileage runs in the mid-40's.

The style and uniqueness are a plus too.

#6 ·
Hawkman said:
It's more curiosity than anything. I'm leaning more to a Superhawk or TLs and was hearing 100 miles to a tank on the Superhawk and was wondering if it was a small tank or crappy mileage or both.
it's both. I can get about 120 miles to a tank. If riding hard, drops to 100. I'm looking for gas by then anyway- I'm getting old, I need the break to stretch legs, wrists, back, so the crap gas mileage doesn't really matter.

#8 ·
Hawkman said:
Elo, how was your husband's TLs in terms of comfort? I've heard they were a little on the racy side as far as ergos, but you could put on a set of heli-bars and make it relatively comfy.
I never rode the bike personally, I didn't have my permit before it was stolen. :crying: My understanding is that the ergos are on the side of a racy sport-touring bike, about as comfortable a sportbike as you're going to find. I can see where the tubular bars would help a lot. My husband found the bike quite comfortable, my SV which is styled after the TLs is very comfortable for me.

If you did get a TLs, I have three words for you: Suzuki Gel Seat!!!! Suzuki is the only manufacturer that makes a gel seat for it's bikes, and it's the best $120 I've invested into my SV. :)

I also second what Tahoe said, the Falco, Futura, Pegaso and CapoNord from Aprilia (http://www.aprilia.com/ridezone/ing/models/ridefr.htm) are more sport-touring v-twins that are definitely worth looking at.

#9 ·
The worst mileage I got on the VTR was 115 miles (ran out). The best was almost 160 (all interstate 75ish). Average is 120-130. I've got pipes and jetting is a bit rich; I don't ride slow...
Used VTR's are a dime a dozen, but if you can swing a Falco or Mille I'd go for one of those.

#10 · (Edited)
98 vtr

100 miles before the low fuel light comes on. I dont push it too far beyond that. Mine has slipons, k&n and jet kit. The seat sucks, I think I would be glad the fuel was gone so I could stop if I ever rode 100 miles straight. Awesome bike though, I love it. Its a great "in town" bike. V-twin sound and power. Since Im never far from a gas station fuel is not a factor. Touring is obviously out of the question unless you go for that Rat Patrol look and tie some Jerry cans on it. If stopping every 100 miles is not for you, dont buy one.

#12 ·
I got 150 miles to a tank once, but with the way I usually ride I get 120 or so, on my TLR. Not sure how the ergo's compare to the TLS, but the R is pretty good, I think. I did 350 miles last sunday (about 6 hours with a stop for lunch) and the only thing that was sore was my right hand (I need to get one of those throttle rocker things).

#14 ·
I have a Mille R, don't get one they suck. It handles like ass, has shit brakes, and everyone will bug you about it ;) :twofinger

Ok really..

My reserve light comes on about 120 usually. The most I ever went on a tank is 163 miles, and she took 4.608 gal. to fill up..that was close :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.