1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on try out these two new tires

Avon AV45/46:)

Michelin Pilot road:)

Heard nothing but good news about these tires, but no one has put any miles on them yet. They offer BOTH traction and mileage:) . I average about 15,000 miles on my 99 blackbird:cool: , also do some pegscrapping through Northern Pa and W.V.:eek: .
I had the Michelin Macadems 100x's and loved them, still have the front with about 10,000 miles on it with no cupping and about another 4-6 grand left:D . Matched it up with the BTO-20 rear so they should war out evenly;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just at the dealer looking at those very same tires today. It's a hard decision but here in Montreal theres $60 difference in price (Avons are more) since no one can vouch for either yet, I'm going Michelin.

Worst case scenario is the will merely be "good" instead of excellent. Tried D220 Dunlops and they were IMHO "good" but I wouldn't buy them again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm putting Pilot Roads on the XX today based on my results with the FJR. FJR came with BT020's and the front was cupping badly at 12,000 miles so I decided to try the Pilot Roads. It now turns in much easier. Since the FJR already turned in easier than the XX I figure the Pilot Road should do wonders for the XX. I've ridden an ZZ with the Avons and those also turn in much better than the stock tires. Don't think either brand would be a mistake and a Blackbird.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jetboy:) your about the only one that gave me a good reply;) , I got the Roads also but won't be putting them on until June:( , Need to burn off my rear BT0-20 with my 10,000 mile front Macadem 100X:)
If you could keep me posted on your "ROAD"and if you here any more on the AV45/46:) my friend is going to try the Avons> I agree with you that both these tire's are going to work GREAT:) :) . If I was a betting man I would say that the Avons will last slightly longer on because of the deeper tread:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did the Roads and love em. They stick way better than The Bridgestones and don't seem to mind gravel much. Corner almost as well as My sports on the Daytona.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the Roads on my VFR and have put 2700 miles on since November. They work great in the cold and rain so far. Based on remaining tread depth I expect to get around 7000 miles out of the rear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jetboy, it been two monthe since you mounted the Roads on your blackbird, how about an update, got about 200 miles on my Roads, and also have a blackbird (99):D :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm really liking the Roads on the XX. Turns in a bit better and high speed stability seems the same. Not so sure on the FJR. They also make the FJR turn in better but I gave up just a bit of high speed stability. About on par with the XX now. I also put a Road on the back of the 954 with the Sport in front. That seems to be working well also. I will probably stick with the Roadsa for the Honda's but try the Avon 45/46 on the Yamaha next.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put more miles on the Strom and the FJR than the XX so it is a little early to tell. I got over 7,000 on the 205's on the XX by keeping the pressure at 42 and running Ride-On in the tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
VFour800 said:
I've got the Roads on my VFR and have put 2700 miles on since November. They work great in the cold and rain so far. Based on remaining tread depth I expect to get around 7000 miles out of the rear.
UPDATE: I got 5137 and 5407 miles out of two Road rear tires. I don't think they were balance properly and should have lasted a bit longer. One front lasted through both rears.

I have since changed to Avon 45/46ST's. The first rear only lasted 4264 and again I don't think the shop is balancing them correctly. I have 2420 on the second rear and it seems to be wearing more evening around the circumference of the tire. May get over 5000 miles with this one. The front will last until the 2nd rear is done.

I like both the Road and Avons. The tread patterns all seem to prevent cupping very well. I think both are excellent sport-touring tires. I ride year 'round in N. Georgia and have not had issues in rain or cold. You have to adjust your riding style for rain and cold with any tire. I think people who complain about wet/cold performance are unable or unwilling to adjust their riding to suit the conditions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
pilot roads

Just had michelin pilot roads installed on my 99 katana. and wow what a difference over the macadam 100x. VERY nice tires. very nice feeling tire in the corners. Strangely enough the shop changed the rear from what i had (150/70zr17) to 160/60zr17) now i was worried about handling and whatnot when they told me what they did but damn im liking it. the bike seems very responsive to input now. i am not saying that everyone should try it but it worked for my bike. usually i hear that messing with tire size can really mess up your bikes rideability. but the bikeshop gave me a satisfaction guarantee. and yep im satisfied. we shall see what the summer brings! :2cents:

·
Registered
34 Posts
;) i just orderd some shinkos from azmotorsport for 129. shipped raven 009 i hear lots of good about theim that their used to be yokahma. i did my homework on them. going on my gsf 600 bandit and replacing the avon 45/46. best deal i could find and people on the bandit alley forum claim they last just as long or longer than some name brands and if you go with the racing tires they are super sticky im going with the sport tourings 009s. well good luck p.s thats includes the front 120/60 and the back 160/60

·
Registered
264 Posts
My short answer: I've had both, got 11k with both. The Avons turn in quicker, the Roads feel more stable(to me),ie, turn in slower. Both great tires.

Matt

·
Registered
312 Posts
Vfour800,
Which tires do you like better, the Michelins or Avons? I am currently running Pirelli Diablo Stradas which I love but would like to try a few different brands to find out what I like the best. If you haven't tried the Stradas I highly recommend them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts