Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW

This weekend i rode with a group of guys i really didnt know,.....well n e ways,.....one of the guys when we came to park pulled head into his parking spot and then got off of his bike lifted it so the only thing that was supporting it was the side stand and spun it arround so it was not facing forward any more,.......he claims it is easier then backing it in,...........:confused:

I was wondering what everyone else feels about this practice. Personally i would be afrain oof even trying this,............

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pretty neat ain't it ! I saw a guy we were riding with do that in his driveway. I think he used a clockwise rotation of the bike to keep the stand from folding up.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I've done it because I had seen it done like you, but I do agree with Robert that a person would feel pretty stupid if they dropped their bike.... or better yet if you tweeked the kickstand somehow and had to hold your bike for the rest of the day at every stop! lol!

I dont think it would be even worth trying once with a aluminum kickstand like on junk Ducatis :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can do it with my medium sized bikes, but the ST1100 is a handful.

When we put away the training bikes in our 40' shipping container, we push them in, lower the sidestand and spin them so that they are just past perpendicular with the sides. This allows us to store 15 bikes and other supplies. When we get them out, we just cut left and push and out they come. We can even leave an aisle and get one bike out from in back if we turn them so that they're about 20 degrees past perpendicular. Of course, this is with 125's and 250's.

As a rule, I just back in to a parking place on my own bikes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think its a real bad idea. One of the things im most sour about with my bike is the previous owner used to do that( I know cuz he did it in front of me when I was loading it on the truck to take it home ) and the edges around the bottom part of the stand are all bent up almost perpendicular. Bike lost a little stability, not too much tho. The most annoying part is since its lost surface area the stand is much more likely to sink into hot asphalt or any other soft surface you park on. Sometimes when I stop places with my buddies they can all go off while I'm still at the bikes trying to get a crushed soda can to put underneath. Now I just carry a small piece of wood, still annoying tho since F2's don't have any storage space.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Because I park my bike in the basement and I don't have much room to turn it around, I do it all the time. I'm small (5'6" - 135lbs) and I have never had a moment where I thought I was going to loose it.

Some people say that it's bad for the stand but I have had no such expirience.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i used to do it on my 98 gixxer 750,

from my own experience, it can messed up the stand, especiialy if you do something in excess. It also creates more play between the two pieces of metal where the kickstand resides thus making your bike lean farther over when the stand is down.

you mess it up more while learning how to hold your bike so you can spin it around, after learning you put less stress on it so its not as bad... my freind does it on 929 with out any real problems, and i knew a little guy like 5ft 5in spin a ducati 998 on that aluminum.. :eek:

if anyone should not do this, its him wit his exhorbitantly priced paint job.. :D
he did it well tho,

at any rate, im with robert, im not lazy to back it up, it takes two seconds to curve this way and back it in while still on it. ..:rolleyes: ;)

*looking at my post* man i explain things too much...:rolleyes: :twofinger

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Wally said:
Sometimes when I stop places with my buddies they can all go off while I'm still at the bikes trying to get a crushed soda can to put underneath. Now I just carry a small piece of wood, still annoying tho since F2's don't have any storage space.
Try those AOL CD's instead of a crushed can, you get great looks!:p

Spinning a bike on the side stand is standard industry practice, it seems your always fighting a lack of maneuvering room and this trick fills the bill nicely. I'll post a few other "tricks" another time.;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, seen my brother do that a thousand times, on everything from R1's to custom Harleys, and it still scares the ever loving bejesus out of me.
He did it to my new R6 yesterday and I almost cried.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How do you do it? I've never seen it done but it sounds like it would be really wierd to see. can anybody give a quick "how to"?

I brought my ninja to a shop once to get the front end checked out and one mechanic just lifted the front wheel a couple feet in the air with the clipons while the other machanic looked at it. :eek: WTF! I couldn't believe it ! They just discussed the problem for a minute like nothing was out of the ordinary while the guy held the front in the air. :confused: He wasn't a big guy so I know it must be easy to do. I think he used the sidestand for that too. I need to learn some of these tricks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
With my luck, I would drop it. I'll spend the extra 30 seconds to do it the old fashioned way.:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
How to: Put kickstand down. Stand on same side as kickstand, bend over bike and grab opposite side by tail and clip on. lean bike towards you, balancing on the kickstand. Spin bike to where you want it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts