Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everybody? Well i got my first ticket the other day on a bike. It was a state trooper on I -10 in madison county , Florida. Between tally and jacksonville. On one hand i should have known better, because madison is like riding through a hornets nest. However, on the other hand, i think this is bullsh-t.
I'll give you the breakdown. Im on my way back to gainesville to get back to school from spring break. Im doing 80 most of the way there. To get some clearance from the cagers, I sped up to 95 for a stretch, maybe 2 miles or so. As i approach an overpass with an ON ramp i see the black and tan S.O.B.. I slowed quickly but it was too late apparently. He quickly put on his lights and i pulled over. I was wondering how the hell he got me like that(From an on ramp). I made small talk with him while he was giving me the ticket and mentioned something about the way these guys(troopers) pull people left and right in madison. He said "yea....Airplane got you: man you stick out like a sore thumb" with this disgusting grin on his face. That pissed me off nicely. Man, that shit isnt fair!!!
Anyhoo, i guess the point of this story or my question now is, why do they even bother pulling over motorcyclists in the first place. I mean your sitting under this rocket that can easily go 160, and 95 feels like 70. whats more is, if you do crash, who are you going to hurt other than yourself. Certianly not the cagers. So i ask, what the f-ck!
And ill give a loving :finger: to the florida highway patrol.

phillyblount.:cussing;

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
phillybb said:
place. I mean your sitting under this rocket that can easily go 160, and 95 feels like 70. whats more is, if you do crash, who are you going to hurt other than yourself. Certianly not the cagers. So i ask, what the f-ck!
I'm all for making up excuses to get out of, and rationalize tickets. Ninja's, bomb diffusal, taking my friend out of suicide, etc.
But your reasoning for why you shouldn't be pulled over is bullshit. Just because your bike can go 160 doesn't mean you should. And just because you "feel" like your going 70 when your going 95 only means that you don't have your bike under controll. And how do you think it will look for the rest of us, not to mention our insurance companies, if you get to jet around town as fast as you want just because you can and kill yourself? This probably isn't what you were hoping to hear. Sorry man, I ain't buying it:2cents:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
phillybb said:
...However, on the other hand, i think this is bullsh-t...

...I'm doing 80 most of the way there. To get some clearance from the cagers, I sped up to 95 for a stretch, maybe 2 miles or so...
And you're wondering why you got a ticket? I'm not aware of anywhere that those are legal speed limits. Not trying to be a dick, as when riding I speed too. I only do it in areas that I know are generally cop free.

phillybb said:
Anyhoo, i guess the point of this story or my question now is, why do they even bother pulling over motorcyclists in the first place. I mean your sitting under this rocket that can easily go 160, and 95 feels like 70. whats more is, if you do crash, who are you going to hurt other than yourself. Certianly not the cagers. So i ask, what the f-ck!
And ill give a loving :finger: to the florida highway patrol.

phillyblount.:cussing;
Just because it can go 160 doesn't mean it should be able to, on public roads anyway. Regardless of what your speed feels like, it looks like reckless driving in comparison to those around you. The cop was right about us sticking out like a sore thumb, which is exactly why we have to choose carefully the time and place of our not exactly legal activities.

As far as who you will hurt? It may only be yourself, if you happen to be on a deserted road somewhere in the desert. Otherwise you can cause tons of damage by wrecking. What if you wipe out with a car behind you? They will either run your tumbling-down-the-road ass over, or take evasive actions which could cause them to wreck, run off the road, hit other vehicles, etc. Also, don't be disillusioned about how much damage you really can do. 400-500 pounds of motorcycle and rider moving at 70+ mph as you mentioned above will hardly go unnoticed when it hits anything.

I think it sucks that you got a ticket, but man up and take your medicine and be smarter about how you ride and where in the future.

I'm guessing this is probably not the reply you were fishing for though....call it a hunch. :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Re: speeding ticket (long)

spicersh said:

I'm guessing this is probably not the reply you were fishing for though....call it a hunch. :)
Ah scott, we sound more and more alike every day. I think we may have been seperated at birth.:crying:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Re: Re: Re: speeding ticket (long)

Tippmann said:
Ah scott, we sound more and more alike every day. I think we may have been seperated at birth.:crying:
Oh god... did I get the good twin or the evil twin???? :crying:

I'm going to agree with spicersh on this one (and thus by proxy, Tippy), sorry you got a ticket, but the situation sounds air-tight to me.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
this is the second thread this week regarding someone doing 95 on their bike and getting caught. i gave my take then and Tippman and Spicersh gave the same here with Spicerke and myself in agreement with them.

its no wonder why the general public have such a piss poor opinion about sportbikes. the only thing left to say is SLOW THE F*CK DOWN!

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
:eek:

<SNIP> I had a response, but it was a personal attack, so I deleted it.

Wow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah philly, i also got my first ticket this past weekend. 95 in a 65 AND reckless driving. I know I shouldnt have been going that fast, so really the only thing I can do now is get a lawyer and hope to get it reduced some. It sucks.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That is life, especially on a m/c & even more so if one is riding a sportbike. We stand out like a bloodied sore thumb & unfortunagtly cops love to nail us.

I have been nailed for speeding when some 10 to 12 cages were on the passing lane doing 40 to 42KPH on an 80KPH road & with no cage or vehicle on the slow lane I was scooting down only to obtain a speeding ticket.

Twice I have been hit on almost baren roads with speeding tickets-----in fact in both cases no vehicles in site. Still I was going over the max speed limit & so I was in the wrong.

The above means $380.00 in said tickets & my compulsory insurance will be hiked up around 40% for the next two yrs as long as I do NOT obtain any speeding tickets, but if so then the addition cost of insurance will be added on for more & more yrs along with costs of said speeding tickets.

So do not whine ----------- we all learn the hard way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I once shared your opinon about bikes not being a hazard to cars, but seeing a 16yld girl in a van be killed by bike kinda changed my mind. I did a little reseach into it, here is a chart I came up with that you might find of interest.

http://www.edgefield.k12.sc.us/jjw/KE.jpg

here is the excel sheet if you want to enter an exact wieght.

http://www.edgefield.k12.sc.us/jjw/ke.xls

Take a look at this.

http://www.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=rant&Number=696224&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

also

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12092

There are many other examples to be found on the web, a bike at speed can easily kill a non-rider.

James.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Just because the bike goes that fast doesnt mean you need to...

We have all done it. Got out on the highway and pushed it some. I do it from time to time. I think the thing to do is to be reasonable. When you are looking to really go at it on the bike the place for that is not on a public roadway, it is on a closed track.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
o|||||||o said:
Just because the bike goes that fast doesnt mean you need to...

We have all done it. Got out on the highway and pushed it some. I do it from time to time. I think the thing to do is to be reasonable. When you are looking to really go at it on the bike the place for that is not on a public roadway, it is on a closed track.

I hit 150 on mine (stupidity and boredom are a great thing). I don't do it anymore. I admit that I have gone a tad over. I was pulling 85 in a 65 last week, saw a car sitting on the side of the road, I slowed down. It was a Chippy, I just waived as I rode by. He did not come after me. I know that we all push it a little at times, I call bullshit if someone says they never have.

If i were given the chance I would love to go on a track, Laguna Seca mostly though :drool: . Would I be any good, yeah right... probably not.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Jester said:
I hit 150 on mine (stupidity and boredom are a great thing). I don't do it anymore. I admit that I have gone a tad over. I was pulling 85 in a 65 last week, saw a car sitting on the side of the road, I slowed down. It was a Chippy, I just waived as I rode by. He did not come after me. I know that we all push it a little at times, I call bullshit if someone says they never have.

If i were given the chance I would love to go on a track, Laguna Seca mostly though :drool: . Would I be any good, yeah right... probably not.

Ride safe!
I hear you jester. I've had mine up to 150(topped out) on a public road. 4 lane divided highway, 2 lanes all to myself, no exit or entrance ramps for at least a mile. Just grass along the side and no where for cops to sit without being in plain view. Will I do it again? Probably:rolleyes: Like you I would love to try a track, but it's just not an option for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ticket

yea you guys are right.....it was just a bit of rage after the fact i guess.... but now i have learned my lesson and i will apply it. I was feeling invincible up until now but im sure it makes their(cops) day to pull over bikes. oh well

ill keep riding!!!:burnout:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Parts of the USA should have highways with no speed limits. I heard that Montana does have some highways with no speed limit. Does anyone know if that is true? There are several highways in NM, AZ and TX that I have seen that there is no cross road or potentially dangerous condition for miles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Snake said:
Parts of the USA should have highways with no speed limits. I heard that Montana does have some highways with no speed limit. Does anyone know if that is true? There are several highways in NM, AZ and TX that I have seen that there is no cross road or potentially dangerous condition for miles.
MT. used to have a law that said your the judge of your speed just make sure its good judgement for the weather conditions. The did however get rid of that law because the US government threatened to cancel their funding for their transportation service. So that means no more funding for road construction any more. So they decided to adopt a speed limit. If that made any sense at all I am glad. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts