Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has been looking at a 1989 ZX-7 that's for sale. It's overpriced ($4300, 40,000km), but it is in good shape and I know the guy that's selling it, so I think I can get the price down. Anyone have specs and performance numbers for this bike?

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I don't have the spec off the top of my head. But I used to own one. :)

While it was a good bike for it's time $4,300 is WAY over priced for that bike. I would not offer anymore than $2,000 max.

I'd be very shocked if he could get anyone to pay more than $3,000 for it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That price ($4300) is in Canadian dollars, but yes it's still quite high. I'm thinking $3000, at the most, might be reasonable for the bike.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert said:
I don't have the spec off the top of my head.
Can anybody tell me something about these bikes? I'm wondering about the hp, top speed, weight etc...

S

·
0 Posts
I owned the '89 ZX6R which I think was the same except the motor ? Is it the black with red stripe scheme ?

It's pretty quick, kinda heavy and top speed should be in the 130 MPH range. HP , Maybe 80 ?

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I owned both an 89ZX7 and a 90ZX7 and I was MUCH happier with the 90. The 89 just felt like a dog while the 90 (for the time) felt like a beast on wheels.

But then in 91 they went back downhill, made the motor smaller (harder to work on) and less HP. Didn't get the ZX7 right again till 94.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, I dug thru my old mags and guess what? I couldn't find the test on an 1989. I do have a test and comparo on the '88 from motorcyclist mag. Back then, changes were not that drastic between years (generally speaking). Info follows:

Price new 4999.00
11.2:1 comp with 34mm Keihin (average that year)
462lb dry, 495lb wet
Projected 1/4mi [email protected] 119.0mph (best was GSXR [email protected])
Top speed 147mph (think I remember some mags posting higher)

Most staffers thought it was much more comfortable than the FZR and GSXR, but no one selected it as the favorite. Most thought it had the smoothest engine. On the track most thought it had the quickest steering due to the 16in front wheel. It placed 2nd at the track. Any questions?

I also think the bike is over priced. If it had low miles (under 20K) and has never been down or moded much and has been garage kept...it may be worth $3000.00

I'm not ashamed to tell people my bike (1987 FZR1000) cost me $2700.00. It had 13K miles and was in excellent shape. My advice is to pass on the bike unless he comes down on the price.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info wayno. I know it's an old bike, but I wanted to see if if was a good bike in it's day. $3000 (Canadian$), I think, would be reasonable...It's the guys wife's bike, and she's it owned since new...plus it is in exce. shape. I'll have to take a good look at it. The only mods I know of are a full (Muzzys? or Yoshimira) exhaust (loud as hell!!).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts