Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
A lot of the Max Power car type of magazines test these types of plugs from time to time. They create a cleaner or hotter spark but they provide virtually no increase in power. The main advantage seems to be longer lasting than standard plugs. If anyone can claim to notice a difference (big or small), they're a better man than me. Advertising hype ? I have the platnium type plugs in the VFR, they are certaintly sticking the pace better than standard so I guess the extra outlay was worth it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know that the plugs in my car are platinum tip and they last for 30,000 miles (they cost 3 times the price of normal plugs) I used to change the plugs in my old cars every 10,000 miles , The dissadvantage of the longer change time is that you dont have to think about them and the plugs in the car seized in the head and had to be drilled out and the threads cleaned up . Nasty Job..:mad: .

I dont know if it is the same story for bike plugs or not . The plugs that i use are the standard ones CR9EK they are twin electrode plugs (different from twin spark I think) and they cost £7.50 each they seam to be perfectly ok for the job i replace them every 3000 - 4000 miles.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
The dissadvantage of the longer change time is that you dont have to think about them and the plugs in the car seized in the head and had to be drilled out and the threads cleaned up . Nasty Job..:mad: .
Try using anti-seize compound on your plug threads before you install them and you'll never have that problem again. This would apply to bikes and cars.

·
Registered
489 Posts
desmo079 said:
Try using anti-seize compound on your plug threads before you install them and you'll never have that problem again. This would apply to bikes and cars.
It was a new car and all the servicing had to be carried out by the dealer for the warranty. I have never had a new car b4 and ussually would change the oil plugs filters etc myself , I have never had problems like this before. i think that the plugs should of been checked every 10k miles and replaced after 30k miles I dont think the dealer ever had taken the plugs out at previous services to check them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts