Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
virus zip file

Just an FYI;

Today I recieved 4 e-mails from 4 different people,
3 of which I never heard of, with the text messge "you have won!" and a "zip-file" attachement with a password to
"unzip" the file with "win-zip" utility. After I unzipped the file,
and tried to open it, I was prompted that the file contained
a virus and my system forbid me to open it (thankfully) .

I replied to all of the e-mails individually inquiring about the obvious, and I am waiting on a response........ So
BEWARE OF "YOU HAVE WON! / PASSWORD/ZIP FILE"

-VFRD

·
Administrator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Responding to those that sent it is worthless. The virus "spoofs" or takes a fake return address and uses it. The person you respond to more than likely will not know what you are talking about and may not be infected.

If you want to learn more see www.symantec.com and you'll see links to the trojan horse virus descriptions and technical info.

That is why you NEED a good up to date virus protector.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
We just recently lost our computer to a virus (actually about 60 when all was said and done) because we let out Norton subscription run out.

After reinstalling XP and upgrading to dsl, we bought Norton Internet Security which has a firewall and antivirus. You'd be amazed how much people try to break into your system. Our firewall prompts us whenever someone is trying to get in and it happens a lot. Seems to always come from Europe too.

Anyway, we're living proof that you need at the very least up to date virus software! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
spicersh said:
We just recently lost our computer to a virus (actually about 60 when all was said and done) because we let out Norton subscription run out.
i've heard this before. i thing the government shold check in on that. i think Norton bombards your computer themselves if you don't renew. they know what your computer is already protected against. they do it to make you go back.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
monkey said:
i've heard this before. i thing the government shold check in on that. i think Norton bombards your computer themselves if you don't renew. they know what your computer is already protected against. they do it to make you go back.
Perhaps we could have Julian Solos investigate this conspiracy for us? :laughing:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
spicersh said:
Perhaps we could have Julian Solos investigate this conspiracy for us? :laughing:
you call him.:twofinger

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
monkey said:
you call him.:twofinger
What should I call him? I've called him many things, but the one that keeps coming to mind is:

BANNED

:laughing:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just had my computer crash due to 4 viruses last week. Spent $400 rebuilding it. Had to buy a whole new hard drive and start all over. That was $400 I could have spent on new tires for my bike. I got the NortonProfessional for $100 with the firewall. It work's great! After loading Windows XP onto the new harddrive I was able to partitian the old drive to the new one and salvage a lot of the old files. Oh well, Thats Life I guess.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i really like spam. i especially like that yellow colored jelly substance that sticks to it when you take it out of the can.

:drool:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
monkey said:
i really like spam. i especially like that yellow colored jelly substance that sticks to it when you take it out of the can.

:drool:
Monkey brains :barf2:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
monkey said:
Seems like there's some common ground here. :huh: I wonder if the spammer got our addresses off this site? Prolly not? (Don't be mad Robert.:) )But it makes me wonder.

I get hundreds no..... thousands of the previously mentioned worms/viruses. So far Norton has taken care of it.

I'm thinking of changing my e-mail address

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use AVG and Zonelabs.

Both are free.

I also learned the hard way. I picked up a trojanhorse virus and was immediately taken to a spamware protection site.

I think the bastards infected my system to get me to buy their product. I really do hate that type of crap.

Anyway, now I don't have to deal with it.

That and I keep this oldie, but goodie OS up-to-date with the critical software updates (Windows '98).

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
mac020 said:
Seems like there's some common ground here. :huh: I wonder if the spammer got our addresses off this site? Prolly not? (Don't be mad Robert.:) )But it makes me wonder.

I get hundreds no..... thousands of the previously mentioned worms/viruses. So far Norton has taken care of it.

I'm thinking of changing my e-mail address
Oh, I think so...my e-mail addy I use on this site, is the only place I display it....and I get lots of spam....

Gotta Love the Delete All box.:D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Hey guys, I hate to deliver bad news, but to those of you that havent already heard, there is a new spyware/adware program out there called "Tangent"........its extremely hard to wipe it from your PC once it gets dug in. Be on the alert for this one:2cents: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts