Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got an '05 GSX-r600 with a Hotbodies Undertail exhaust, PCIII, and K&N (applause).

My friend recently acquired an '04 R6 with a D&D pipe and no other known modifications.

So I'm confused. Side-by-side, in a race, I beat him every time. My bike accelerates faster, no question. And yet, his is the only one that will pull the front wheel under full acceleration. I know I've read on here that "New stock 600's" will pull the front wheel off the ground under full acceleraton, but I have had different results. But despite the fact that I'm faster, his is the one that comes up.

Any idea why that is? Is it the weight balance of the bike? Possibly suspension settings? I'm not really pressed about it, as I am fine with keeping the front on the ground, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi snakesht-

Have you tried swapping motorcycles to see if it is a difference in who is piloting the bike? Do you weigh considerably more or less than the person who owns the other motorcycle?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No matter how much i trust my friend, he's not taking my girl. I weigh about 40 lbs less.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi snakesht-

Do you have a mutual friend who is a great rider who can ride them both back-to-back to get his/her insights? Perhaps a local shop can advise you on a racer who could help.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've read while back that R6 always had more midrange than any other, with the exception of 636 arriving to the scene between 600 super sports. of course with your upgrades, you have more midrange now.

so my guess is that R6 tends to have 50/50 front and rear weight ratio to make the front end light. while gixxers tend to go for 51-51.4% front weight and 49-48.6% at the rear. so not sure how this will affect power-wheelies, but chasis design and suspension always has something to do with how efficiently bike transfers power to the rear w/o wheeleing. race bikes are set up to avoid most wheelies.

of course rider's individual weight and where you position the weight has a lot to do with keeping the front down or letting it soar.

on technical side, perhaps your PCIII isn't configured properly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My guess is body positioning. The riders weight is a pretty significant percentage of overall vehicle weight. Try sitting back in the seat a bit and keeping your weight back upon full acceleration and see what happens.

If this doesn't change it, I would attribute it to the way both bikes are designed. It really suprises me that your bike won't come up a little under full acceleration if you are not over the tank.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
snakesht said:
Ok, I've got an '05 GSX-r600 with a Hotbodies Undertail exhaust, PCIII, and K&N (applause).

My friend recently acquired an '04 R6 with a D&D pipe and no other known modifications.

So I'm confused. Side-by-side, in a race, I beat him every time. My bike accelerates faster, no question. And yet, his is the only one that will pull the front wheel under full acceleration. I know I've read on here that "New stock 600's" will pull the front wheel off the ground under full acceleraton, but I have had different results. But despite the fact that I'm faster, his is the one that comes up.

Any idea why that is? Is it the weight balance of the bike? Possibly suspension settings? I'm not really pressed about it, as I am fine with keeping the front on the ground, but I was just curious.

I say it's tallent on your part, and lack there-of on his part. You may not realize it... you may subconciously be keeping it down. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
not wheeling is probably helping you win the races...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: Re: Something's bothering me

ZX6R1033 said:
...you may subconciously be keeping it down.
Now where else have I heard that? :D

Snakesht, have you tried to wheelie the bike? Perhaps if you were so inclined, it might make you aware of what you are doing differently when racing your bud that is keeping the front wheel down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This all goes back to my stunting vs riding question I posed a while back.

But as far as straight line racing goes, the front wheel in the air a little bit probably wont slow you down. Now if he has to come off the throttle to control it, thats another story.

A good quarter mile run probably just has your front wheel skimming the ground anyway at best.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all.

In response:

No, my PCIII is not configured properly. I think the mech. said he has a yoshi map in it right now. He recommended that I NOT get the bike tuned at his shop because the guy that does the tuning only set it up one way, and it's not really a good one. However, if I'm accelerating faster, I don't see why the map would matter.

As far as body position, you're probably right. I do hunker down quite early in anticipation of the speeds the bike will be reaching by the end. I have pulled 1st gear power wheelies (let off the throttle, then back on), as well as had the front end pull up on the shift to 2nd at red-line, as well as over bumps etc. at full accel.

Like I said, though, it still surprises me that even though I am pulling away, his front still comes up but mine doesn't. And though I am not the wheelie type, I am intrigued as to what may be causing this.

Maybe this helps ???

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Something's bothering me

ZX6R1033 said:
I say it's tallent on your part, and lack there-of on his part. You may not realize it... you may subconciously be keeping it down. :thumb:
He is more of the stunting type, and I am in it for the speed and twisties. But given my weight advantage, and the apparent power advantage, I still don't understand.

And though I have been on sportbikes longer then he, I wouldn't exactly brag about talent. I still learn something new every ride. But that's half the fun.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Body positioning affecting your weight distribution, bike geometry and any small difference in suspension settings will have this effect. Just be happy you're in front, and you can still wheelie when you want.

Suspension differences would affect wheel-lift greatly, but I'm sure there's someone on this board who could explain the details far better than me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wheelies are for nothing nut show. Picking the front wheel off the ground in any type of vehicle weather its a car or motorcycleis a waste of the vehicles energy. Look at it this way say you and your identical twin whose riding the exact same bike as you are going to have a drag race from a stop. And lets also pretend that you will both launch at the same rpm and let the clutch out at the same pace. But your twin sits further back in the saddle where as you sit more foward than he. Chances are the when the two of you launch you will keep the front on the groun and he will at least be picking it up a little. Your bike is probably just on the hairy edge of picking up the front wheel. You will most likely win (again giving that both you and your twin hit your shifts prefectly and at the exact same rpm). Mabe not by a lot, but you will most likly win because your bike was using more of its initial energy to drive the bike foward instead of using it to lift the front wheel up in the air. Seriously if the bike is generating enough grip to lift the front off the ground, your getting more than enough hook. You may or may not know this but wheelie bars serve a dual purpose. First and formost they are used to keep the vehicle they are installed on from picking the front end up so high that the driver might loose controle. The second function coincides with the first, because they are being used to limit front end lift it is also forcing the vehicle to use more of its power to move it foward rather than up in the air.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts