Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

At some point, the obsession with saving weight on motorcycles will lead to strength problems. The same concern applies to shaving a few ounces & grams from wheels...which is why one typically sees modern wheels dented from potholes but older wheels appear to handle them fine. I'll endure a slightly heavier motorcycle to gain an extra degree of safety and durability.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Bluey: Assuming this guys story is true, this is still not a weight issue. It could be the improperly drilled hole, or irregularities in the alloy, unussual stresses, or a combination of all three.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think I remember seeing a story on the news about the same thing happening to a guy in the middle of a professional race.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Makes me wonder if a experienced rider could keep that on two wheels long enough to slow down.... my bet is yes if enough parts kept working.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kypdurron62 said:
Makes me wonder if a experienced rider could keep that on two wheels long enough to slow down.... my bet is yes if enough parts kept working.
With the frame broken in half? Its not a matter of expirience it a matter of luck and faith.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

It doesn't appear anything slowly bent out-of-place during this incident, so I'm feeling it was a sudden, unexpected, and catastrophic frame failure. Just as Vash stated above...the pivotal factor would be how much "good luck" one is having that day.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
217 Posts
ya, i remember about six months after ppl started having them, there were floods of stories about frame failures. i remember one where a harley and gsxr 1k collided head on (25-35 mph combined spd), the harley had bent forks, the gsxr was in 2 pieces...frame failed.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is it just me, or does the picture of the break in the frame look awfully smooth? It looks like it was cut, or a weld or something failed. If it was due to excessive stress or metal fatigue, wouldn't it tear with jagged edges like the Titanic? Thats just my opinion on it though, but man, does that have to suck. Also... it's an 05' GSXR-1000 that snapped... & the report sayed that it was touted as the fastest production bike when it was released... weren't the Busa's already out in '05?!?!

Sepias

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dunno it would depend how many systems in the bike were still working when the frame broke. I'm assuming it didnt look as bad as it does before it went down, it might be possible to slow down and stop a bike if there are still some random parts holding it partially togethor. Besides I was just musing while bored at work.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kypdurron62 said:
I dunno it would depend how many systems in the bike were still working when the frame broke. I'm assuming it didnt look as bad as it does before it went down, it might be possible to slow down and stop a bike if there are still some random parts holding it partially togethor. Besides I was just musing while bored at work.
you gotta be kidding me. Lets go over this. What is the purpose of a frame? To hold the bike together. Which parts? The suspension mounting points in relation to each other and the engine. What provides braking on a sportbike? Front brakes. How are those braking forces transfered to the rest of the bike? THRU THE FRAME. which is broken right where the stearing head is attached to the motor mounts.
Imagine this if you will. You are going down the road. Poof your forks dissapear. Do you think you can stop?

Unless he manages to wheelie it at the exact moment his frame breaks, and then land it on a trampalene, his only hope is that the remaining frame spar would somehow hold his bike together (and those spars are meant to work together), which goes back to that luck or faith thing I was talking about earlier...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That was pretty common news on the '05 Suzy GSXR bikes last year especially early in the start of the '05 bikes. Not that breakage, but fractures to some severe enough that they had to be corrected & rider could feel the bikes acting strange to some minor prangs & up would show said fractures even though the bikes did not go down at high speeds.

I think in '04 Honda Goldwings had a fracture in the frame. I remember this for a lawyer friend of mine was worried about his bike (this was a FACTORY RECALL) as he had just handed over his older Goldwing for the Honda shop to sell for him.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I like how it says "less than 100 yds from his house", and after several months in intensive care.

Wonder how fast he got moving w/in that 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
the report sayed that it was touted as the fastest production bike when it was released... weren't the Busa's already out in '05?!?!

Sepias
I know I've read a few places where the Gixxer 1K is the fastest production sportbike in the 1/4 mile. This includes the Busa. Don't know if this still holds true for '06, and whether or not the ZX-14 will come into play.

·
Registered
860 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
Is it just me, or does the picture of the break in the frame look awfully smooth? It looks like it was cut, or a weld or something failed. If it was due to excessive stress or metal fatigue, wouldn't it tear with jagged edges like the Titanic?

Sepias
I've seen a few pictures from the guy who wrecked his bike on the track. The impact broke the frame just like in the story (I think it was from one of the Suzuki boards). It looked like it had poor weld penetration. The bead looked like it was sitting on top of the metal.

I wonder. How many bike makers still have humans doing the welding on their frames?

Hopefully RCJohn sees this thread. If I remember correctly, he was or is a welder in the Navy.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:

I wonder. How many bike makers still have humans doing the welding on their frames?
All the Chopper shops.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
It's hard to tell by looking at the welds if they are done by person or by robot. I really don't know. That photo doesn't look like a weld issue. Aluminum is a pain in the butt to weld and weld well. Especially cast Al.

In the photo it looks like there is some design flaw with the cutouts(as mentioned previously). That is also a bad area for any kind of metal flaw for the guys that do repeated "bad" wheelies. That looks like some type of fatigue failure... not "it happened just when leaving the house".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts