Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was a close call!

Brad and I were riding home last night and an Escalade almost ran me off the road!

I was in the passing lane about 4 seconds behind Brad doing 50 (the speed limit). Brad passes the Escalade no problem, then I speed up because to stick together and the Escalade speeds up, I click up a gear and give her some gas and the Escalade speeds up again! I'm in my last gear going about 65 and this guy is looking RIGHT AT ME and he's not letting me over, instead he ran me damn near into the gravel before Brad slowed down to a good 40mph to let me pass him and the Escalade! Then the second time there's a passing lane, Brad slowed up a little to let me get ahead and the guy almost ran into him!

We get to a stop light and this guy has the audacity to roll down his window and yell at US! Saying that we need to learn how to ride our "big" bikes (Y'all know I have a 250 and he has a 600) and that we're reckless because he saw us pulling wheelies and "recklessly" changing lanes! Now, ya know, if you wanna tell me I don't know how to ride--go for it I'm a noob, but tell me that either one of us was doing wheelies or recklessly changing lanes--- that's plain stupid... I don't know anyone who can wheelie a 250cc VTR... Boys are cute when they're all protective he yelled at that guy the entire light for what he did with his wife and kid in the car. The nerve of some people!

Okay... my rant is done now... But we're safe and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
some asswipes need to learn to mind their own buisness

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi MeiJin-

The guy in the truck was "projecting" in that he has seen "someone" do a wheelie and now he thinks that everyone on a sportbike is doing the same thing.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I could never figure out why people don't like being passed. Isn't it a better thing than being tailgated?

Some people :rolleyes:

Glad you're ok. An alternative approach would have to simply fall behind him and give him his way. Fighting road-ragers' wills never yields anything good and usually requires creating a more dangerous situation IMO :2cents:

·
Registered
515 Posts
you guys should have just slowed down the 2nd time around and let the dumbass pass. Anyone who shows signs of stupidity on the road I'll either aggressively pass or let them get way ahead of me. just my :2cents: Glad it was just a close call rant and not an accident report :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yeah, and watch out at intersections. Very often, the cars will overlook your presence and start turning left on front of you, even if you have the green.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Some twit on a cruiser or HD cut me off to-day, like way to fast into my slow lane where I was clocking 110kph in a 100kph max speed limit. I just looked at him & thought "well the darn fool cannot judge distance or timing", but being a rider on a bike or in this case driving my SUV that is all I did. "Just thought". Things like that do NOT frustrate me. Sure his exhaust was loud & farting away but so what------that is part of life if you drive or ride.

In the case of this thread it shows how cage drivers can INTENTIALLY become dangerous & exaggerate their believs plus making are arse-hole of them-self in front of possibly their family.

When I was, not of age to drive & even a bit after, I never saw or heard my parents so much as raise a voice. My Father never had an accident in his life of driving & my Mother had one minor one with the truck driver speeding, as she came out of an exit/entrance part, & having just lost her husband the evening before. Besides the truck driver had a reputation for such forms of accidents according to the RCMP.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah I've met up with a few assholes like that on occassion. I'll let them get ahead of me where I can keep my eye on them if traffic doesn't permit me to ride away. What I would actually like to do...now thats another story.:twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Always rest two fingers on the brake lever when riding around cagers.
Or all the time really...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Vash said:
Or all the time really...
If you mean it literally, can't say I agree. I don't get good leverage on the throttle when it needs to open more than 70% with index and middle fingers resting on the lever, unless, I keep adjusting or pivoting my wrist (which becomes nuisance). Or adjust the brake lever right close to the bar, but I prefer to keep some distance.

Also, it's a lot faster to scuff the bike on its side if the palms are closed and only grabbing the bars, instead of keeping the right palm a bit open when it comes to holding on to throttle and resting few of the fingers on the lever.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Actually Fantic I do well with covering the hand levers, the throttle & all. Possibly because I have been doing it since around 1948 as it is something I cought onto in Observed Trials comp, but also when road racing be I riding a 2-stroke bike or I was in the slipsteam of a 2-stroke only suddenly the piston (s) would start to seize up which becomes quite a hairy moment for the 2-stroke rider on the rider directly behind him. Those with short glove size could not handle it as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I only brake w/ my middle finger as to keep a good grip on the throttle... makes it look like I'm flipping everyone the bird :twofinger

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's not the size of the gloves for me, although I am sure riders with XXL or XXXL have better reach, but my XL gloves do fine with the lever adjusted to the middle of its settings. It's a matter of prefence I guess, I've seen most roadracers using all the fingers on the throttle when coming out of corner or straightaways. It gives me the feeling of riding on the front wheel.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
As with Z, I got a tip from two retired Chicago motorycle cops that suggests that brake coverage while moving might not be a good idea.

If you're covering your brake, you can, then, erringly, have throttle as you pull the brake, thus nullifying the effect (at least to some extent).

Their suggestion is one I've internalized. When rolling on the throttle, your wrist should be in a down position. My fingers cannot (and should not) reach the front brake lever. When I want to brake, the natural reach with my fingers causes the throttle to automatically close based on the movement of the hand. Works beautifully for me anyway.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ok, I didnt think about going to WOT, in which case my fingers are not covering the brake. 70% may not be quiet WOT, but its far above anything I'd use on the street, and will think twice about doing on a backroad. So aside from those full throttle runs, I got 2 fingers on both levers at all times, wether its leaned over or not.

As for the accidentally hitting the throttle and brake at the same time, while its possible (I got a friend that crashed that way) it would be a very very newb mistake. More newb than yanking the brakes. I guess what I'm saying is that you would have to be a no-riding-ass-clown to pull that one. Even if you did, the results would not be nullifying the effect. At high speed/ strong braking, you will most likely spin your rear tire and do a cool rolling burnout. At low speed, you will quickly lock the front, and with any luck have the common sense to consider why your front tire is not acting like it should.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yeah, I suppose that is where our experience will diverge. You have a 10r, and I would have to be a manic to wick it up to 50% at most situations. Where as on a 600 like mine (97 rwhp), it's easy throw caution to the wind, and nail the throttle in 2nd coming out until desired speed is met. It's quick before I have to back off and shift, but it's still fun.

Btw, I understand the high speed scenario, but why would the front lock up quickly any more than if the throttle wasn't involved? I figure the rear would spin up even more at low speed like rolling-smoking burn outs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts