Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on going the prescribed beginner route: MSF, Ninja 250, Gear, etc. Just have a few questions

1) I've heard the Ninja 250 is pretty much the only 250 that can sustain highway speeds. I just wanted to verify that this is true and that I would be able to say, ride it home from school. That's approximately 100 miles of freeway that moves between 0 (hey, it's Los Angeles...) and 85 miles per hour. Doable? Is that enough power that my weight is pretty negligble?

2) Do bikes go up for sale in waves or something? I'm only seeing a couple Ninja 250s popup that look interesting at all on ebay and craigslist. I'm not looking to buy just yet, I was just wondering if anyone knows how the market for bikes tends to fluctuate over the course of the year.

3) This bike will be my primary source of transportation. I don't want to be the guy that wears his gear everywhere, but helmet/boots/gloves/jacket can be fairly easily removed and stored. Pants are the trouble. Are jeans ok?

4) Aero leather jackets. I've heard nothing but good things about their leather jackets from a non-motorcycling standpoint, but I don't know how their motorcycle jackets are perceived. Still great stuff? Anyone have any experience with them? Here's the link to the one I'm interested in: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=33&prodid=1277 . It's a bit pricey, but I've always wanted a jacket from them and I might be able to kill two birds with one stone here.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Planning on going the prescribed beginner route: MSF, Ninja 250, Gear, etc. Just have a few questions

1) I've heard the Ninja 250 is pretty much the only 250 that can sustain highway speeds. I just wanted to verify that this is true and that I would be able to say, ride it home from school. That's approximately 100 miles of freeway that moves between 0 (hey, it's Los Angeles...) and 85 miles per hour. Doable? Is that enough power that my weight is pretty negligble?
A 250 will be just fine.
2) Do bikes go up for sale in waves or something? I'm only seeing a couple Ninja 250s popup that look interesting at all on ebay and craigslist. I'm not looking to buy just yet, I was just wondering if anyone knows how the market for bikes tends to fluctuate over the course of the year.
In California I imagine the bike market remains pretty steady. Where I'm at, there are usually good deals at the beginning and ending of each season, both from dealers and private sellers.
3) This bike will be my primary source of transportation. I don't want to be the guy that wears his gear everywhere, but helmet/boots/gloves/jacket can be fairly easily removed and stored. Pants are the trouble. Are jeans ok?
Acceptable, but is convenience more important than your skin?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
...3) This bike will be my primary source of transportation. I don't want to be the guy that wears his gear everywhere, but helmet/boots/gloves/jacket can be fairly easily removed and stored. Pants are the trouble. Are jeans ok?...
In the event of your legs scraping on bitumen in an accident, you might as well wear nothing.

Have a look into buying yourself some overpants. I have a pair of Dririder textile pants that fit over any other pants I might be wearing. I use these for riding to / from work.

I switch to leather for all other riding and take different pants in a rear / tank bag to change into if it's really necessary.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I've not heard anything about Aero jackets with regard to crashes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts