Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it the manufacturer? The model name (GSXR, CBR, Ninja and so on)? The look? The history behind that particular bike? Because it was a new production model? Because it was different? The power? The performance? What?

Just curious.

Mine was because of its overall performance and the fact that Ducati's are unique and because I've wanted one since I was 15 years old because of the way it looked (poser :D )

PEACE!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
In all reality, the 600 sportbikes are very similar performers. So, for me it came down to the little nit picky stuff. I really liked the way the F4i looked and was set on getting one, then I noticed that when the low beams are on only one is lit. To me this has an unbalanced look. Same problem with the zooks(also I never cared for them). Then it was down to the R6 and the 6R. A friend had pointed out to me that everybody has the Yamaha so I chose to be a little different and get the Ninja. Obviously I had to get a green one.

I'm out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't glorify my decision-making process.... It was the easiest, I had enough parts in my garage from having a few of them before that I could've built two....:D

I am DONE w/ gixxers after this one....gotta get onto something I can enjoy!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like black motorcycles and anything that makes a GSXR1100 go fast works on the bandit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
From the first day the bandit hit the magazines, I thought yip i gotta get one of those. It is one of those bikes that makes me go Grrrrrrrr. Every one that owns one gripes about the handling :barf: , well any one that pushes it round the corner does. So it give you lots of choice for modification lots of gsxr parts slot in no problems. Most of the bikes that i have seen have been modified and it makes them a bit more individual. ie not all plastic covered clones of everyone else:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I rode a Ducati 916 years ago and it blew me away how different a V-twin was to a Inline 4.

I was hooked, so i finally decided my next bike would be a V-twin. The sound, power, engine braking is awesome!! I bought an Aprilia because its more comfortable/cheaper/maintenance is easier then a Duke. I ride alot, and if i owned a Duke i'd be a hurting fool hehe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Performance, Performance, Performance, Oh and Performance. I also like the way it looks even though others may not. I like the fact that it looks so close to the 750 and 600 that if I take the 1000 sticker off no one knows. I have also been a mechanic for all 4 Jap companies and they all sucked ass to work on except Suzuki. Well Yamaha wasn't bad either. Plus the support is second to none You'll never have to wait for 3 weeks for a tech rep to call back like the other companies. I guess I'm just happier with the company in general.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well it had to be a Honda, and I was looking for something that would be good for to/from work yet fun in the twisties. I was coming from a 900RR which was beating me to/from work and honestly, thats where I put on most of my miles.

I also liked that the VFR is rare in that its from one of the big four Jap makers yet has a V-Four, single sided swing arm, side mounted radiators and that gear driven cam. I just LOVE the V-Four motor and Im kinda hooked on the V-motors now I think. This bike is so good at everything -except raw power- its amazing. Plus I think its a really good looking ride too. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Namely Performance. I started seriously riding streetbikes on a brand new 92 FZR 600, which, at the time, was a serious bike in the 600cc class. From there I moved up to a 95 GSXR 750,again a class leader, and added quite a few mods. I sold it in 97 for the class leading CBR 900 RR and put quite a few mods on that bike, as I club raced for a while. After bashing myself and the bike up at the track (quite a few times,lol :D ). I sold the stalwart 900 and purchased my brand new blue cruise missle,a 2001 Yamaha YZF R-1. It's performance, handling, and asthetics just can't be beat in my opinion. There are some who would argue with me about that, but they can't catch up with me.:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
All new???

Hey, I'd like to hear some responses from people that are not riding 2K or newer bikes. If I won the lottery, I'd certainly be on another bike besides the one I own, but I still love mine, just the same.

Here are the decisions that made my selection....the FZR1000.
1st money, 2nd money, 3rd money. My budget was $3500 cash, and I was looking for certain things and years.

I had not been riding since 1991 on my GSXR750, but I didn't want to step back down to a 600, so I was looking for a 750 to 1000cc. I had kept up with the mags over the years, so I narrowed it to the following:
86 to 94 GSXR750 or 1100 (minus 1988)
87 to 94 FZR750 or 1000
88 to 94 VFR750 (love the V4)
Sorry, no green machines were on my list. This was because I had never owned one, and that they were always behind in true sporting intent the years I was looking (sorry if this offends anyone, it's just my opinion).

I stopped at 1994 because that was about the latest year that would be in my budget. Then I started looking on the internet. It just happened that the best buy I found happened to be my FZR. My first choice was an original 1986 GSXR750 limited edition with 8K mi, but it sold before I could get to it on a weekend. My FZR had fallen on the right side in a parking lot, but was perfect besides a couple of scratches. The bike had 13K original miles. I drove 500mi (each way) with my mechanic to buy it.

I don't ride as hard as I used to (with a wife and kids to think about), but I still ride with guys on new bikes and can hold my own most of the time. Other times I just have to let them by, I just don't think it's worth it to push too hard. I just ride for fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are many things to look at and go over when selecting a bike. I had a kawi and it felt like a rock to ride. The F4 was good, but the Gixxer was the most comfortable for me. It handles awsome in the corners. I have confidence when I lean that thing over! I also then thought about style and colors. I liked it because I have not run into another rider in my area that has the blue and black color scheme. Most have the yellow and black(which gets old after seeing it a hundred times in one day) or the blue and white(which is still nice looking). I also like the fact that I can have some storage space this is easily accesible under the rear cowel! This is also a nice looking feature that was a deciding factor. Most of all though, it was how the bike felt to me!! That should be the deciding factor because everyone has different builds and feels. Comfort was #1.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I wanted a twin and Honda had one on its way to production so I decided on it after seeing the pictures from the first unveiling at the "motorcycle show". I was considering a few models including the Gixxer 750s and new 929s but the looks of the RC got me and the fact that they were going to be "limited" imports. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've pretty much always been a Kawi fan. Last year, when I decided to replace my 7R with a liter bike, I looked at what was out there and decided on the 9R for a couple of reasons. Being relatively tall, it was the most comfortable and still has plenty of power. I also like the way it looks. I seriously thought about getting an R1 but there are so many around here.

In the end, the 9R just a better fit for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
everything.....

I have owned Kawas, and my brother has two Suzuki's. I come away with, you cannot beat Honda and Yamahas reliablitly. We just over the weekend had to sit on the side of the road, so my brother could get the truck to pick up his wife's "suzuki" that was broken down . My brother has had major carb problems, with his Suzuki. Not raggin guys just telling you the truth. They still LOVE the Suzuki even after ALL the problems they have had. They don't like what I ride, depsite I have never had any problems with my Honda or Yamaha. GO figure, just die hard fans..... If my Yamaha stayed broken down, the die hard SH#@ would wear off....

In my opinion, I want performance, power, handling, but I also want reliability. I trust Yamaha, and Honda. The DUCATI? Well, ( in my opinion so I won't hurt feelings) is just plain ugly and not reliable. I read in to many magazines were they are not very reliable, and belt driven whats up with that????? They also have a price tag of "to much" on the side. I love the blue and white, so far the R6 has been just reliable as the Honda. So far so good. So, what attracts me to "certain" bikes...... "realiabilty" :):D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats easy.

The colour. Black and Silver (Euro colours), 2000 GSX-R750

And the looks, in my opinion anyway, it looks real sleek. Everything else is just a bonus hehe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What i liked about my bike is that its long and has one hell of a take off. I dont know where you guys ride but around were i live there is no corners to take fast that doesnt have 20 lbs of gravel
so your rear end slides out. All straight line rodes here so alot of street racing which i have been doing for 13 yrs. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Re: everything.....

richardr6 said:

In my opinion, I want performance, power, handling, but I also want reliability. I trust Yamaha, and Honda. The DUCATI? Well, ( in my opinion so I won't hurt feelings) is just plain ugly and not reliable. I read in to many magazines were they are not very reliable, and belt driven whats up with that????? They also have a price tag of "to much" on the side. I love the blue and white, so far the R6 has been just reliable as the Honda. So far so good. So, what attracts me to "certain" bikes...... "realiabilty" :):D
Ok, not start an argument, but I've put 7,109 miles on my 748 since I bought it new on March 23rd of this year and the only extra cost that I've had are tires and oil and first service. I've not had the first reliability problem. I'll be honest, the older Ducati's had reliability issues but the 2000 and 2001 models for the most part are in tip top shape. Out of owning 2 CBR600's, 2 ZX-7R's and 1 TL1000R, my 748 has been the best of the bunch.

Now, you may think the Ducati is ugly and that's fine by me (I don't care for the looks of Yamaha's either) but you still can't argue that since the 748/916/996 came into production that they have been the most sought after motorcycles in the sportbike world. :D

And one more thing....my bike is chain driven not belt driven. I don't know a Ducati that is belt driven.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts