Sportbike World banner

So finally about to buy a bike

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SoBe 
#1 ·
I know ive been saying this for months, but im finally all settled in. Parents were putting off the bike-buying for months until we had moved into our new place. Im looking at a SV650S, and have been searching for months, they seem to be rarely sold here in south florida.

(2004 SUZUKI SV650S, blue, runs and drives like new, full side fairring, led brake light with turn signals, billet pegs, grips, signal elm, new speedo.)

It has 300 miles on it, and is 4500 dollars. so its fairly new. a brand new 05 sv650s would cost me roughly 7000 dollars out the door.

http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/102/316140/00025647E09.jpg
is a picture of the bike.

I know there is alot of posts like this, (ie should i buy this bike or this bike.) Im not really interested in starting off on a 250 or 500cc ninja or any of those other bikes. I personally dont like how they feel when i sit on them. So im wondering, is this good to buy for the price? I've called the person, and he told me the bike is as-is. there is no scratches or anything.

For those that never read any of my other posts- im 16, ive been riding dirtbikes for a little over a year now (150cc). im about 120lb's. probably 5'11 if not taller, havent really checked. 16 years old. some people ive talked to said i shouldnt even think of buying a motorcycle, why? alot of people seem to worry about me, even though im smart enough to know whats right/wrong. ugh i know its a long post, but im really confused and want opinions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think a 650 is a great starter. Your age is a concern, not from the size of the bike, but simply being on one, not having first had expirienced what traffic is like. I dont say this to be an ass, I was 16 myself not that long ago.
Still I have my doubts that anyone here, myself included, will talk you out of buying a bike. So please keep in mind that regardless of how tall and bulletproof you feel, that bike WILL KILL YOU IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE. It probly wont hurt that buddy of yours that started a d*ck whipping contest.

As for that particular bike I'll let someone else deal with the price, I was never any good at buying used vehicles. The thing that concerns me, is why does it have a new speedo? those things are invincible. Look for signs of it being looped of the front. Pay particular attention to the forks, and see if the show any sign of being bent. If they are, RUN AWAY!
Best of luck

#3 ·
Ok, thanks vash. I know im not bulletproof either, I know bikes can be very dangerous.

Your age is a concern, not from the size of the bike, but simply being on one, not having first had expirienced what traffic is like. I dont say this to be an ass, I was 16 myself not that long ago.
I take no offense to that, because its true. Ive only been driving for a month or so, so im pretty new to how traffic works. but I think ive got a pretty good idea. Im always very cautious, of myself and other people. because there are alot of stupid drivers.

I dont understand the new speedo either, ill have to ask him about that.

#4 ·
Here is my honest opinion and advice...

Drive (cars) for two years before considering a bike. You can be wonderful on a bike but traffic is a completely different ball game. Once you begin to understand how other drivers will act and can read them like a book - then you can switch on over to a bike.

You NEED driver seat time to learn what the public road system is like. Nothing except actual seat time will give you that experience. On a bike is not the best place to learn it either - you have enough things to worry about already while riding... You have much worse chances trying to learn the roads as well as a bike at the same time.

#5 ·
I third the opinion you should get more traffic experience in a car before buying a motorcycle.

Looking back, I probably would have thought as long as I was careful, I could have been ok on a bike. It's natural to talk yourself into these things by saying "I'll be careful."

The truth is, you're going to make A LOT of mistakes in your first year or two of driving an automobile. There's so many different situations+conditions you're going to face. You can be careful all you want, but since you've never faced certain situations, you'll make mistakes...it's just a natural learning curve. Becoming a better driver is as simple as just driving and piling up some miles.

You make a mistake in a car, the car most likely won't flip over, and you're not going to simply fall out of your car. Make a slight mistake on a bike, the outcome is very different.

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, but I really don't believe an inexperienced automobile driver should simutaneously be learning the rules of the road on a motorcycle.

#6 · (Edited)
The above advise about putting in a year or more in driving a cage is REALLY the best way to possibly save your neck when you get into the m/c world for believe me you REALLY have to learn a lot about traffic & once you are riding a m/c you have to learn so much about staying upright & out of the way of crazy cage drivers that simply do not see you or cannot judge your pace.

I was fortunate as I spent like 6 months of riding a bike in the dirt & 5 months of driving my cage & that of my parents PLUS so often to work I rode along with this small city m/c cop & his sidcar rig. Believe me he fed me a maze of info.

#9 ·
Why don't you consider an on/off road bike for your first one? Then you can sell your dirtbike for insurance money, and be able to ride off road with your friends and on road when you feel like it. Power is still decent and learning to ride with traffic may be easier on something very similar to the dirtbikes your used to?

Just my :2cents:

i know they are not cool enough for ya, and are not chick magnets right.............

#10 ·
Enjoy your dirt bike for another year and just get use to the traffic.
Well, I can't do that anymore. I moved downtown pretty much. East boca if anyones ever been here. the nearest place to ride trails or anything is about a 2-3 hour drive north of me.

How big is the place you live?
I live in a gated apartment complex - with 2 car garage + plenty of storage space. I nicely fit my dirtbike in with plenty of room for another bike :> As far as insurance goes Mainerdr, i can pay that np myself. most of my friends have already sold there dirtbikes, and moved onto street bikes. one has a gsx-750 (hes 19). other has a dual sport DRZ400. So pretty much i cant ride my dirtbike on the roads legally =/

I've thought about getting a dual sport bike actually, and I think im going to give it another looking into.

#12 ·
I meant how big is the town you live in. Just wondering how much of a traffic concern are you going to have.
Be carefull riding with buddies. It gets competitive quickly, and its easy to take risks you wouldnt by yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.