Sportbike World banner

snow bound

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  gcptc 
#1 ·
I still have 2 feet of snow up here! What's going on where it's hot?(riding,women,or parting?)Life is not fair. GCPTC

#5 ·
I beg to differ. Its supposed to snow today, its the coldest its been all winter. Another example

Jan 2-3rd 90deg and sunny
Jan 4th 32deg.

#8 ·
It is March so what do you expect? Thing is we have not had months of overcast day in & day out for it has been cloudy & some times sunny though still cold---meaning below freezing temp & sometimes a few degrees above said freezing temp in the warmer part of some better days & times of the day.

Yes my bikes are still sitting in the garage with winter storage & none had updated LP stickers or compulsory insurance & I am enjoying my cage. Not the sort of things a m/c should be saying, but that is this so called Spring of '06.

#9 ·
Hi All-

Just watch out for the shaded areas when you do go out to ride this month. It can be "balmy" in the sunshine but still be hovering near freezing in the deep shadows. I've heard how black ice in those areas have surprised a few unfortunate riders during early springtime.

~ Blue Jays ~

#10 ·
Blue Jays said:
Hi All-

Just watch out for the shaded areas when you do go out to ride this month. It can be "balmy" in the sunshine but still be hovering near freezing in the deep shadows. I've heard how black ice in those areas have surprised a few unfortunate riders during early springtime.

~ Blue Jays ~
Ice? On the road? Did someone spill some? How did it get there? And how do you keep it from melting? :confused:

#11 ·
Spring is springing

Ahhh, springtime in the Rockies. Snowed the day before yesterday, sunny and in the 60's tomorrow. Definitely gonna break the bike out Saturday. Then head for the mountains for some skiing on Sunday. Gotta love it!

#12 ·
Not a great looking day yesterday & had to pay the insurance on my home, BUT there are signs that Summer might be comming. For around 1:30pm it was warm enough to roll my bikes out, fire up the compressor & go over the tyres for updating the pressure on them. Though still to early to put insurance on them as Friday is dull, cloudy, bit nippy & the next 3 or 4 days are not claimed to be anything great according to the weather. Oh well so be life but darn it this is the latest season, which has yet to come, since I moved here in '60.

#13 ·
Is it possible....

...to be Iraqbound instead of snowbound? Just sittin' here skimmin' through the March issue of Motor Cyclist.....nice to dream........:D You guys twist ye'ole wrist once for me this Spring! My wife was telling me that it had been quite a bit colder into March than years before! Sorry boys! Ride safe! :thumb:

#14 ·
Hi Vash-

During transitional early-springtime months the temperature can dip below 32*F at night, freezing any condensation on the roadway in the process. When the sun comes up in the morning, ambient air temperature can rise very quickly. The freaky thing is that in deeply shaded areas, the surface temperature can still be cold enough to keep a thin layer of ice in place...even though it might be in the 50's or 60's outside! :eek:

This is probably the same principle that allows people to ski at Killington, Vermont until May. The coldness of the ground enables the snow to stay there without melting too quickly.

~ Blue Jays ~

#15 ·
Blue Jays....

that pretty much sums up my late November crash, three years ago.......same process but the air temp wasn't cold enough and the moisture didn't freeze....it still added just enough condensation to mix with the oil on the road and make for one hell of a slippery surface.........WOW!!!!!

#16 ·
Blue Jays said:
Hi Vash-

During transitional early-springtime months the temperature can dip below 32*F at night, freezing any condensation on the roadway in the process. When the sun comes up in the morning, ambient air temperature can rise very quickly. The freaky thing is that in deeply shaded areas, the surface temperature can still be cold enough to keep a thin layer of ice in place...even though it might be in the 50's or 60's outside! :eek:

This is probably the same principle that allows people to ski at Killington, Vermont until May. The coldness of the ground enables the snow to stay there without melting too quickly.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sounds plausible, but I prefer to think that this place is cursed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.