• Though it and did it

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling you out bitches who throw you cigs out the window!

Some old guy at a stop light in front of me at an off ramp (airport bld/I40) threw a cigarette out the window. I parked the bike, walked up, picked up the cigarette, and handed it to him saying "sir, you dropped this". Then I got back on my bike and he proceeded to go 35mph in a 45mph zone for like a mile, he prolly thought I was an off duty cop or something. Funny as hell. He was stunned and held the cigarette in his hand for the whole way. His wife was in the passenger seat too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Throwing cigarette butts out of the window is littering. I just recently picked up the old bad habit, but one of my first actions was to purchase an ashtray that extinguishes cigarettes and keeps them there until I can dump them in trash. When I smoked in the past, I used to throw them out of the window, but now I am a more conscientious citizen.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You misspelled thought:twofinger If someone pitches something substantial, like a cup or a bag or something I usually will make a remark or a gesture of some sort:rolleyes: but cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary), so if it doesn't hit me in the face or something then its no big deal.

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm with sepias. Rapidly decomposing stuff isnt nearly as big of a deal and a bottle or a bag of chips. I'm guilty of throwing butts out the window (I'd like to say that I dont do that, but I'd like to say that I dont smoke) As for bigger trash, I'll mention something to my friends, and wont do anything like that myself, but as far as total stranges, I dont bother.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's also a fire hazard in our area so it could start a forest fire. Besides, I hate ppl who do it cause I've been hit quite a bit of times from cigs. I usually pull up next to them, flick them off, and do a wheelie but they are usually moving. This guy was stopped and wanted to "return" his property. Also, the cig wasn't even half used, what a waste of a cig (even though I dont smoke).

·
Registered
427 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
...cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary), so if it doesn't hit me in the face or something then its no big deal.

Sepias
I may be off on this subject, but when you smoke all the way to the filter, the filter does not burn, but rather melts, which indicates to me it is made of synthetic material. Paper and tobacco will decompose naturally, but the synthetic material will not. Then again, I may need to do a scientific experiment of my own to verify the theory.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
...cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary)...
Perhaps the butts you tested in elementary school, but not these days.

Taken from the 'net:

Cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate, which can take decades to biodegrade. An average butt will take 15 years to decompose.

They're rarely viewed as a litter problem because of their size, however over 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide each year.

Cigarette butts can smoulder up to three hours when thrown from a vehicle. Globally, every 12 minutes a fire starts due to littering.

Discarded butts are also carried by rain into our sewer systems where their chemicals can seep into our water supply.

Finally, they pose a threat to wildlife, as birds and fish often mistake them for food.
It's a filthy habit made more filthy by the ignorant f*cks who choose to not dispose of their trash in the proper way. I f*cking hate smokers who throw their butts from cars. :finger:

I've always had a desire to do what JBaz did, but it's just not safe, in this age of road rage (hey, I'm a poet!), to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
veektor said:
I may be off on this subject, but when you smoke all the way to the filter, the filter does not burn, but rather melts, which indicates to me it is made of synthetic material. Paper and tobacco will decompose naturally, but the synthetic material will not. Then again, I may need to do a scientific experiment of my own to verify the theory.
Not true. Aside from the common synthetic myths, simply consider that hair and feathers melt when burned

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I guess they have switched over the last 10 years then, but it makes sense. Almost everything is synthetic now in days. But if you think about it, sending it to a landfill is worse that tossing it out the window in some ways (I'm not defending the habit just stating a fact). Stuff in landfils does not decompose. It is compacted so tightly that there isn't enough oxygen to allow the bacteria to decompose the materials. If you dug out a peice of newspaper from the 1960's in a landfill you could still read everything including the fine print (I've seen it, damn people and not recycling!). But then again, in a land fill you wouldn't have to worry about it starting a fire.

Sepias

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm going to have to call :bs: on the "Discarded butts are also carried by rain into our sewer systems where their chemicals can seep into our water supply." That's just a little too extreme. If the butt's chemicals "seep" into the water supply from the sewer then what about the shit? Or oil drips from cages.

Then again the gators that live in the sewers could be affected...

-M-

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
cookeetree said:

It's a filthy habit made more filthy by the ignorant f*cks who choose to not dispose of their trash in the proper way. I f*cking hate smokers who throw their butts from cars. :finger:
Heh, looks like we found something that makes cookie mad! LOL I've never seen him angry typing! But I think MS is right about the leaking through sewers thing. Those would have to be pretty crappy sewers. Was your source one of the "Truth" sites? I hate those people...

Sepias

·
Registered
295 Posts
well put me in the guilty category. i throw buts out the window all damn day long. ha. but i am very cautious about when i throw them out, as in a bike is behind me or a car, and i always throw them low.

i hate fags that throw them all up in the air then they just whoosh back onto my nice car.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
Heh, looks like we found something that makes cookie mad! LOL I've never seen him angry typing! But I think MS is right about the leaking through sewers thing. Those would have to be pretty crappy sewers. Was your source one of the "Truth" sites? I hate those people...

Sepias
Yeah the truth compaign does more harm than good. By making all those outragious claims they are taking credability from their movement.
And would someone please stop the "The corporations are out to kill us" bullshit. Everyone knows damn well that smoking isnt good for you. A bigger warning isnt going to make a lick of difference.

And yea, I'm sure some chemicals leak into the water supply, the question is how much. Look a brand new toothbrush has human shit on it. Sure does, ever single one. But not enough for anyone to worry about.
One thing that really pisses me off is the whole labeling things with scary chemical names (or acronyms) and then scaring people with it.

Be carefull. You food contains sodium Iodide. Maybe even acetic acid! Scary shit there

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Vash said:

Be carefull. You food contains sodium Iodide. Maybe even acetic acid! Scary shit there
LOL dont forget the sperm killer, Yellow #5.

Sepias

·
Registered
746 Posts
LOL Vash!

I do think the little claymation cartoons of the guy/girl sticking cat puke or a dead skunk in thier mouth then trying to kiss the other one is funny as hell. They need to come up with some new ones though, after seeing the same two 300 times it loses its value a little...

-M-

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am a cigar man myself but I dont smoke in the car so I am not guilty of throwing them out the window. I think its funny now that when you buy a new car, you have to pay extra for an ashtray.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd like to add about the part of them "smouldering for up to 3 hours" Have these people ever left a cig unattended for like 5 minutes even? They burn out and most times you have to relight them. Or they burn to the filter and go out too. I'd like to see one burn for 3 hours, I'd be impressed:2cents:

·
Registered
746 Posts
jeffmorton said:
I'd like to add about the part of them "smouldering for up to 3 hours" Have these people ever left a cig unattended for like 5 minutes even? They burn out and most times you have to relight them. Or they burn to the filter and go out too. I'd like to see one burn for 3 hours, I'd be impressed:2cents:

+1 on that. For something to "smolder" for 3 hours takes more than just the cigarette.

-M-

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
SepiasSoul - Landfill is sometimes worse than littering? C'mon, you're kidding, right? It's better to throw rubbish onto the street, then have it wash into drains and pollute our creeks, rivers and oceans???

mstrand_68 - The "sewers" referred to are not the same ones that carry your sh*t. They're stormwater drains that you see in the street, not the sewerage pipes that run from your house. These drains, as I said above, run to creeks, rivers and oceans. And yes, the oil drips do end up in these places. It's all pollution, no matter which way you slice it.

SkinnyJ - So, you're a litterbug with a conscience? Congratulations. :rolleyes:

apuddy - Aussie cars come with an ashtray as standard. Should be called "coin and key trays" though, as the vast majority of smokers never use them for their intended purpose, hence this topic.

jeffmorton - The 3 hours claim may be excessive, but I know that a sh*tload of fires are started in Australia every year by smokers who flick their butts onto median strips on roads. On hot days, when they get into the dry mulch, they smoulder away for a while before combusting. Causes the Fire Dept no end of hassles.

The crux of this argument is that discarding ANY trash in an inappropriate manner is disgusting and a pox on society. People that wouldn't dream about dirtying their own house seem to think that it's okay to do so in public.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
cookeetree said:
SepiasSoul - Landfill is sometimes worse than littering? C'mon, you're kidding, right? It's better to throw rubbish onto the street, then have it wash into drains and pollute our creeks, rivers and oceans???
No I'm not kidding. Landfills are just as bad or even worse in most cases. The only thing about a landfil is that its out of mind. Toxins still leak into ground water even through the small plastic tarps. But the worst part is that the crap doesn't decompose. I would rather see a ciragrette butt on the ground than have them go into a landfill. If its on the ground it will be covered very rapidly, within a few days, by natural erosion and then it will decompose, even if it takes the 15 years you stated. Its still decomposing unlike the ones in the landfil, and its still out of sight! So whats the advantage of the landfil in this case? So long as the cigarrette is out when it gets chucked. But thats just my :2cents: BTW not trying to start and arguement with ya Cookie, just stating what I know.

Sepias

1 - 20 of 129 Posts