Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the linky to the article:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8721&feedId=online-news_rss20

Here is the article for the lazy people...

US and Canadian skiers get smart armour
• 16:52 14 February 2006
• NewScientist.com news service
• Will Knight
A futuristic flexible material that instantly hardens into armour upon impact will protect US and Canadian skiers from injury on the slalom runs at this year's Winter Olympics.
The lightweight bendable material, known as d3o, can be worn under normal ski clothing. It will provide protection for US and Canadian skiers taking part in slalom and giant slalom races in Turin, Italy. Skiers normally have to wear bulky arm and leg guards to protect themselves from poles placed along the slalom run.
Skiwear company Spyder, based in Colorado, US, developed racing suits incorporating d3o along the shins and forearms and offered members of the US and Canadian Olympic alpine ski teams the chance to try them out several months ago. "Now they love it and won't ski without it," claims Richard Palmer, CEO of UK-based d3o Labs, which developed the material.
Although the exact chemical ingredients of d3o are a commercial secret, Palmer says the material is synthesised by mixing together a viscose fluid and a polymer. Following synthesis, liquid d3o is poured into a mould that matches the shape of the body part it will protect.
Brief impact
The resulting material exhibits a material property called "strain rate sensitivity". Under normal conditions the molecules within the material are weakly bound and can move past each with ease, making the material flexible. But the shock of sudden deformation causes the chemical bonds to strengthen and the moving molecules to lock, turning the material into a more solid, protective shield.
In laboratory testing, d3o-guards provided as much protection as most conventional protective materials, its makers claim. But Phil Green, research director at d3o Labs, says it is difficult to precisely measure the material's properties because the hardening effect only last as long as the impact itself.
However, Green believes it may be possible to alter the properties of d3o for new impact-protection and anti-trauma applications. "There are certainly opportunities to dabble with the chemistry and enhance the effect," he told New Scientist.
Another potential application may be sound-proofing. The propagation of sound waves should generate a similar strain to an impact, so it may be feasible to create a material that becomes more sound proof in response to increasing noise. "It could have some very interesting, unexplored properties," Green says.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps the next generation of DragginJeans will utilize this technology, for those who won't let the safety get in the way of their fashion...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like its showing good potential for motorcycle gear. As with other technologies, if it proves itself useful, then, as smart and creative people think up new uses for it, it will spread into different markets. This stuff would make good armor plating. Rather than this stiff, bulky stuff that makes the back of your jacket, elbows, knees feel all uncomfortable, our gear would be comfy and flexible. Sounds like a great idea to me. The article did say, though, that the chemical ingredients are a commercial secret. That would mean that either someone else would have to come up with the same kind of stuff, or the company would have to see that it has potential in other places, other than just ski protection.

Now, if only I had that stuff last night. My friends and I decided to go snowboarding at the last second, and were totally unprepared. Needless to say, I'm all bruised and sore. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed there is no mention of flexibility returning after stress bonds the material. That would make it a replacement for removable armor, most likely.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its virtually the same memmory foam you've seen everywhere... this is not a new material, rather a new application for an old material....

·
Registered
227 Posts
The article states that the material hardness only lasts during the impact. Sounds like the old corn starch and water trick. Should be a neat product for M/C armor.

·
Registered
892 Posts
so does kevlar work on the same principal? just wondering

·
Registered
227 Posts
Kevlar uses very tightly woven polymer threads each of which has an inherently high tensile strength to provide protection. What you end up with is a material that can "catch" high velocity objects in the fibers without distorting much. As a bonus, the material is durable stuff and doesn't abrade easily. It will however transfer energy beyond the fabric, and that is why police who have been shot while wearing Kevlar still get massive bruising and broken bones. So by itself Kevlar will not do much good for blunt impacts like smacking your elbow on the pavement at 100mph.

So no, Kevlar doesn't work like the material in the article. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If it can fit as armor & be loose then a one shot deal to be replaced after, for instance as an armor only. A m/cist could not have a tight fit.

Interesting thing is about how it is woven for what helps to stop a h/gun bullet will NOT stop the point of a knife, so what stops the point of a knife is that different in how it is woven to not be able to stop a bullet.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Kevlar provides considerably more protectoin. This stuff works on relativly mild impacts, it will prevent some bruising, but thats about it. No bullet stopping powers here.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The amazing thing is when an ex-police officer looked around for safety equipment it was the use of Kevlar & the firm was called "First Chance".

He had been badly wounded, in the line of duty, with several hits to his body. So his LIVE demonstrations to police officials was to set up five bowling pins about the distance of when he had been shot. Take a revolver, ask the police to supply him with six regular rounds for his revolver.

Obviously having been shot from a short distand it was so easy for him to hit sit bowling pins & then put the last shot into his chest to stagger back a few step showing he had not been injured due to his Kevlar vest. I have seen it on video & several RCMP constables have seen it in real live so YES it was shocking to me (the video) & more so in real live to the few RCMP constables that saw it. YES Kevlar protective gear, now called "soft protection gear" by the RCMP, does stop bullets.

Since they they have improved them along with ones that ward off the point of a knife to even pockets to hold ceramic plates for hearier loads. No ALL RCMP & most police officers have some form of "soft body armor" under their shirt or on the outside of the shirt.

I probably know a bit more about the above, then the average civilian, though I am not nor have I ever been a police officer, but often I have target shooted with them from regular Constables to Staff Sargents (often they work out in the same gym as I do) & YES, the matter of protection comes up often to even more bulky jackets that a Staff Sargent can put on quickly to go out at some shooting matter though the long jacket will be fitted with Kevlar along with pockets to slide in ceramic plates in case a rifle is being used. They weigh a lot compared to the soft body armor a regular constable wears still both give a Constable a chance of taking on a hit from a h/gun. While the "plates" can help when hit be a rifle bullet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts