Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok how many times have you heard this one. So my deal is aggravating my gloves are Kids, my helmet is a xs my jacket is a s it's so difficult.

I've been ridding cruisers for years now I'm ready to switch. I've ridden bitch way to long. Time to get on my own 2 wheels.

So here's the deal I currently own 2 bikes
Kawi Vulcan 500 2003
Kawi Ninja zx6rr 2003

The Vulcan is perfect i can touch and feel comfortable.
The ninja even lowered I can't fit. Plus putting in links is out of the question so this bike is becoming my other half's new toy.

He's been riding nearly 10 years too.

So I'm looking at every bike every year for a bike that I can touch and ride comfortably.

Here's my stats.
I'm 5'3 about 125 lbs.

What i've been told is i just don't have the uper body for a 600. So I'm searching for riders across the globe to give me advise.

I've looked at the 250r's there a little ehhh well you know I wanna keep up. But the new ones are pretty nice.
I hate banana seats to FYI.

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok how many times have you heard this one. So my deal is aggravating my gloves are Kids, my helmet is a xs my jacket is a s it's so difficult.

I've been ridding cruisers for years now I'm ready to switch. I've ridden bitch way to long. Time to get on my own 2 wheels.

So here's the deal I currently own 2 bikes
Kawi Vulcan 500 2003
Kawi Ninja zx6rr 2003

The Vulcan is perfect i can touch and feel comfortable.
The ninja even lowered I can't fit. Plus putting in links is out of the question so this bike is becoming my other half's new toy.

He's been riding nearly 10 years too.

So I'm looking at every bike every year for a bike that I can touch and ride comfortably.

Here's my stats.
I'm 5'3 about 125 lbs.

What i've been told is i just don't have the uper body for a 600. So I'm searching for riders across the globe to give me advise.

I've looked at the 250r's there a little ehhh well you know I wanna keep up. But the new ones are pretty nice.
I hate banana seats to FYI.

PLEASE HELP
Looking for a straight up crotch rocket? Maybe try sitting on a few of the less track ready 600's (ZX-6R instead of ZX-6RR, YZF-R6S instead of YZF-R6) odds are you'll need to get it lowered and even then you probably still won't be flat footing it. Alot of sportbike riders can't flat foot but it's not a big deal if you have experience, confidence, and the ability to get one foot flat if needed. Outside of crotch rockets you can try out the 650's and the likes of those, they typically have a shorter seat height than the race reps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yea I want a sports bike so. I've sat on most gsxr's regular 636's r6 etc and I don't touch on any I come close to a 04 cbr 600rr. But not quite I'm always on my tippy toes.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I think spicerke had a CBR 600, and had a custom seat made for her to be able to ride it, and I think a few other custom touches.

Paging spicerke to the white courtesy phone! :laughing:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
The new Yamaha FZ6R has a really low seat while maintaining a nice 600 engine on it. If its still a bit high I'm sure you can do the links thing and drop the forks to compensate.

On the street you simply don't need a supersport anyway. Go cheap and get a good fit. I'm sure that ZX-6R was pretty funny looking with you trying to touch down; they're high horses for sure!

EDIT: BTW, we rarely get this kind of question. We're more used to, "I'm 6'10" and weigh 300#, will a hayabusa be powerful enough for me?" Your request for recommendations was refreshing!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sounds like the exact situation that my fiancee/wife/s.o. is in. Fits all kids gear. She gets top of the line gear for cheap because it is youth sizes. When I first met her I wondered how she could afford all of this top of the line gear and then she let me in on the secret of fitting youth sizes.

Anyway, bikes can be modified to what you need. Seats can be shaved, suspension and parts can be adjusted up and down, etc... When I first met my other half, she was man handling a 2001 CBR 929, just had a little trouble flat footing it, and a CBR F2. She is 5'2"not sure of weight because women never tell the truth about it, but small frame fits the bill. I must say the F2 fit her really really well. She could touch no matter what the terrain.

Go sit on bikes that you like. Find something that has a slim and narrow seat. Wider the seat, the less footing you will have. Just make sure it is a machine that is not over your riding experience, you can handle well, but also grow into so that you don't feel bored and have the need to jump to something big in a short period of time.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Sorry Jester, I was out at a preschool picnic. Which is a total misnomer because there's no way it's a picnic with 12 three year olds. Grr.

Anyhoot.

I am 5'1" with a 29" inseam and was just over 100 pounds when I started riding. I started out as a curb monkey on the back of my ex's various bikes and loved them, but learned to ride on a Buell Blast as it fit me very well. I had a bad case of bike envy with spicersh's 2000 F4, so when he got his XX, we looked into options to get me on it.

We wound up taking it to a racing suspension place by Monterey and had them lower it as much as they could, which was I think just under 2"? No seat shaving, and I was able to get soildly on the balls of my feet, which was enough to feel stable.

I miss my bike. :crying:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Oh and Kelley? The asshat that told you that you don't have the upper body for a 600? Totoal horseshit unless you have no arms.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Try the gixxers. They seem to be the most friendly for shorties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so...

I sat on a 250R today I can touch and move the wheels comfortably. Might still need to have it lowered. Haven't driven one yet. But it's like some of my friends have said that I will probably never use the hourse power that a 600 will give me. But.... I can sit on it at the right angle and seems to fit me well as a 600 looks like the bike's driving me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It sounds like someone has found a bike. :D

I wouldn't worry about the horsepower, etc. side of the argument. Yeah, you might do a little more rowing through the gears, but for street purposes, practice and experience will give you plenty of power to work with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same ordeal, I'm 5'3 and a 1/2. I have an r6 which I'd get slapped on here for getting it as my first bike. ;) It was to good a deal to pass up on. An 04 r6 with 7,000 miles in perfect condition with some mods for 3grand. The seller is my close friend she took payments had her paid off in like four months.

I had to have it lowered 3 inches (which is ridiculous) and replace the "sidestand" with an adjustable one. I'm not on my tippy toes but im not flat footed ethier. Which considering I know how to ride now I'm comfortable. Learning on the tippy toes does suck though. Yeah I dropped it a couple times in the parking lot before I got it lowerd while a friend was just basically getting me aquainted......thank god for frame savers....

·
Registered
38 Posts
we have a girl here in vegas who rides a yamaha R1 (looks lowered).
She is like 4ft 11. So i'm sure you can ride many bikes if they are lowered.

I am a short kid 5 ft 4in. But I am built as i powerlift. I have bulky thighs and a "heavier than typical" body. This will determine if you can fit on a bike too.
If you're heavy, the shocks travel down. How thick your thighs are determine your reach to the floor with the bike between your legs.:drool:

oh yea...and i think the new ninja 250r is a sexy bike.

·
Registered
338 Posts
we have a girl here in vegas who rides a yamaha R1 (looks lowered).
She is like 4ft 11. So i'm sure you can ride many bikes if they are lowered.
The R1 has a lower seat height than the R6, which has a higher than average seat height higher than majority of all well known sport/supersport bikes so.....If you can fit a lowered R6 you can fit most lowered sport bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to ask how much riding, as the operator, experience do you have.....
Yea I got years 9 years experience. But broken down.
01-03 Reble 250 in Hawaii
04-05 Moped lol yea I know
then 08 current a Kawaisaki Vulcan 500
My experience is not with these types of bikes I'm used to slower more heavier bikes.

As for R6' I don't even begin to touch on Yamaha's
GSXR I did get my bf a 600 I touch but it's a little hard for me to move it around.

Think I will go for a 250r they have a great re sell value and look good for a 08 and up. There gettin eatten up by the racers in the 250 class too so. Might just be the best investment.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm 5'4 130lbs so I feel you dillema. I currently ride an F4 and it seems to be good for vertically challenged people like us compared to the other bikes. After riding it for almost 2 years though, I've sat on CBRrr, r6, gsxr, and zxr and tippy toing any of them didnt seem to bother me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts