Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if the late model GSX-r750 owners could let me know what slip-on pipes in their opinions sound the best and perform the best Thanks. im getting ready to purchase a 2001 750 and the first mod i want to do is a pipe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Slipon

I have a Yoshimura Tri-Oval for my 2002 750. I personally like the sound, and dealer re-mapped the box to make power delivery smoother -no significant gains though. As for the sound, it is quiet (kind of...) at partial throttle, and VERY loud when you open it up. The Akrapovic is much louder, but it also sounds the sweetest. Performance wise, I don't know about slip-ons. The dealer told me I may have picked 3 or 4 HP and maybe 2 or 3 ft/lbs of torque. You may want to post this message in one of the other high traffic forums.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
cmjackso said:
I was just wondering if the late model GSX-r750 owners could let me know what slip-on pipes in their opinions sound the best and perform the best Thanks. im getting ready to purchase a 2001 750 and the first mod i want to do is a pipe.
First of all, WELCOME to SBW..:D

Kind of a tough dicssion on which pipe to use..but most of the guys that I know of that ride 750's use the Yosh RS3, power gains might be in the 1 to 2 hp. range, as for the sound, the yosh has a nice sound, not to loud, ya don't want it to be to loud, the cops can hear quite well..:D I had one on my 600, and liked it..good luck with the new Gix..ride safe..oh, and let us know what you got..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcome and the advice. in the end ive decided to get the Jardine RT One Race Slip On Titanium Can with the race baffle. i've already ordered a new countershaft sprocket 1 tooth smaller and plan on adding a PCII and k&n later.

SBW is awesome!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
cmjackso said:
thanks for the welcome and the advice. in the end ive decided to get the Jardine RT One Race Slip On Titanium Can with the race baffle. i've already ordered a new countershaft sprocket 1 tooth smaller and plan on adding a PCII and k&n later.

SBW is awesome!!!!
Kewl...

Can I make a suggestion..? Instead of going down 1 on the countershaft, go up 3 on the rear sprocket, I know...more$$, but the chain doesn't have to turn a tight radius, as with going 1 down, and unless the bike has very few miles on it, it's best to change both sprockets, and the chain at the same time..

Sounds like your on your way to building a nice ride...:D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Hammer 4 said:

Kewl...

Can I make a suggestion..? Instead of going down 1 on the countershaft, go up 3 on the rear sprocket, I know...more$$, but the chain doesn't have to turn a tight radius, as with going 1 down, and unless the bike has very few miles on it, it's best to change both sprockets, and the chain at the same time..

Sounds like your on your way to building a nice ride...:D
normally i'd agree with ya hammer, but the gsx-r has a HUGE 17-tooth front sprocket. 16 isn't a bad size (i think it's the same size as the stock 96-99 front).

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
FZR400Tony said:

normally i'd agree with ya hammer, but the gsx-r has a HUGE 17-tooth front sprocket. 16 isn't a bad size (i think it's the same size as the stock 96-99 front).
Yep, your right..forgot about the 750 having a 17 tooth up front..my bad..and thanks, I stand corrected....and yep..the stock 600 is 16.....:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why a slip on?

Why the slip?? Of course everybody has an opinion on exhaust, but the 750 has some heavy headers!!

For the price of a yosh tri-oval slip, you could pick up an M4 full system!! That's the choice I made on my 750 and never regretted it (Although several 929 and R1 owners might disagree!!)

For the 1000, I went with the slip on for looks reasons only....

In terms of sprockets, the 16 tooth switch is a good move. Boosts your low end ability noticeably.

Be Safe and Welcome to SBW!!

P:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
M4?

Hey Paul, what is an M4 system? (Dumb question prolly) The tri-oval was included in the deal I got from the dealership, so I was kinda stuck with it. Can headers be put on along with the current slip-on? If so, does the FI need to be re-programmed?

Oh by the way, the price on the Tri-oval Titanium was $380 at the dealership.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: M4?

Needa916 said:
Hey Paul, what is an M4 system? (Dumb question prolly) The tri-oval was included in the deal I got from the dealership, so I was kinda stuck with it. Can headers be put on along with the current slip-on? If so, does the FI need to be re-programmed?

Oh by the way, the price on the Tri-oval Titanium was $380 at the dealership.
M4 is an exhaust company based in TX. Partly owned by Michael Martin who once raced for Valvoline Suzuki(among others) and currently teaches in the Team Hammer Racing School(unless he has retired). They make a great product at a reasonable price.

A Yosh header could be installed with the current slip-on if Yosh would sell you just the header. I don't know if they would. A full system will pretty much require reprogramming whereas a slip-on can survive without the reprogramming. Even with a slip-on, reprogramming will be needed to get the full advantage but not completely necessary.

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Why a slip on?

Paul 750 said:
For the price of a yosh tri-oval slip, you could pick up an M4 full system!! That's the choice I made on my 750 and never regretted it (Although several 929 and R1 owners might disagree!!)

Paul, I am curious as to why they might disagree.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: Re: M4?

RCjohn said:

M4 is an exhaust company based in TX. Partly owned by Michael Martin who once raced for Valvoline Suzuki(among others) and currently teaches in the Team Hammer Racing School(unless he has retired). They make a great product at a reasonable price.

A Yosh header could be installed with the current slip-on if Yosh would sell you just the header. I don't know if they would. A full system will pretty much require reprogramming whereas a slip-on can survive without the reprogramming. Even with a slip-on, reprogramming will be needed to get the full advantage but not completely necessary.
Good info on M4.

So far as the Yosh head mating to the slip on it's important to differentiate between a slip on and a bolt on. If I am correct, the 750 is a bolt on cannister, thus making a slip on unlikely from a dealer. As a result, the bolt on can will not be compatible with the aftermarket headers. So, if you're looking to move to a full system, you'll need a new can also.

Now in my situation, the 1000 has the bolt on and the slip on capability (with or with out the SET valve) so should I decide to switch to a full system, I can simply purchase the headers and "slip" on the can!

Good riding,

P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts