Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a good slip-on for my VFR? I want it for sound. And since it's fuel injected, no other modifications are needed, correct?

------------------
Karl - Denver, CO
'00 Honda VFR800FI
'99 Subaru Outback

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I went with Two Brothers High Mount CF one. Of course you should really go with a full exhaust not just the slipon regardless of the manufacturer. Honda put on too much emissions crap which adds a bunch of weight and I'm sure it saps power.

I love the sound of my 2 brothers pipe. It is getting louder by the day. Two Brothers reported a 13 hp difference with their full system and a K&N Filter, plus it saves close to twenty pounds.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

·
Registered
52 Posts
I highly recommend the Leo Vinci setup. Check out my post http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000535.html

It is only the slip on and it is for an F4, but the quality should be the same for your bike.

If you have the money go with a full system, if not, you can upgrade later with the Leo and with the Two Bros.

I plan on getting the headder later on and rejetting.

I stayed away from Two Bros. because everyone and their mother has one on their Honda. I have only seen one other bike with a Leo Vinci on it. (Which surprised me)

------------------

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:
Two Brothers is to Honda like skids are to underwear. :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're right; I don't have either. :p

------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
tigerblade,

Do you not have skidmarks or not have underwear. Pete wants to know. :p :D

I would go for the M4 for the VFR. Great price, excellent quality and IMO the best sounding pipe on the VFR. I have heard it on the 750 and 800 VFRs. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am also in the market for a slip on for my VFR800. I've heard that full systems take away from the mid range power of the bike and make it not as pleasurable to ride. I mostly want it for the sound and the look. I've heard that staintune are very unique and good quality. I want a high mount pipe but I don't want to lose any passenger footpegs. I also have a tailocker on my bike so the wolf system is out. I also want to keep my center stand.

Let me know what you get and how you like it.

Luke

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
The high mount two brothers pipe doesn't lose the rear pegs. So that's not an issue. The full system just fits exactly where the old system did. The pipe even has a rest for the centerstand machined in.

I think the two brothers is the best out there, along with Erion for Honda's.

I don't like the look of M4's. They look stubby and cheap IMO.

I don't think I've felt any loss in power in the mid range after I installed the system. The only thing that I would have changed is the fact that my FI light has been on for 4,000 miles. But it's running as good as it ever has. And the bike just keeps getting louder as I pile the miles on.

check this http://www.twobros.com/VFR/y2kvfr800/y2kVFR800dyno.html

I don't see any loss in power there. Except a little at 6,000 rpm but then it makes it up by 7,000. I don't cruise at 6,000 rpms so that's not an issue.

Just my two cents.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

[This message has been edited by 2000VFR (edited July 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
tigerblade,

Do you not have skidmarks or not have underwear. Pete wants to know. :p :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is Pete a full-fledged member of NAMBLA yet? :p

Sorry man, I don't go commando...
------------------
"We don't got any beers. We got tequila, it's like beer."

[This message has been edited by tigerblade (edited July 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tigerblade (edited July 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone told me to go with MICRON Carbon Fiber for a slip-on.....said it's the best for the VFR. I called 'em and they said I could install it in less than 15 minutes. $399/round $429/oval
ready to ship of course :)
Now I just have to decide if that is where I want to drop $450 w/shipping! :rolleyes:

------------------
Karl - Denver, CO
'00 Honda VFR800FI
'99 Subaru Outback

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NinjaBNL:
Someone told me to go with MICRON Carbon Fiber for a slip-on.....said it's the best for the VFR. I called 'em and they said I could install it in less than 15 minutes. $399/round $429/oval
ready to ship of course :)
Now I just have to decide if that is where I want to drop $450 w/shipping! :rolleyes:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess no one is going to talk you out of it, but the full exhaust is the way to go. There is too much crap that Honda puts on the VFR's for emissions. I think you would be happier in the long run if you plan on keeping this bike to go with the full exhaust.

I guess some people want the the most performance possible while others don't.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

·
Registered
47 Posts
How much of a difference ya think are we talking about between the full system and a slip on. If I had any other bike I'd get the slip on and not worry about the half HP that you gain with a full system. I don't know how retrictive the converter is. If you lose the O2 sensors then wouldn't it be running in open loop mode and hence not as efficient and not able to compensate for variables that happen over time??

A closed loop FI system is much much better for a car and I think that's where honda was going with this. It kind of irritates me that two brothers didn't put some ports in the system to accomodate the O2 sensors. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I don't want to spend a bunch of money for something and have to look at the FI light on all the time knowing that it's not working properly.

Call me silly but I don't like the idea of putting the bike into open loop mode.

I hate these terrible choices in life.

Luke

------------------

[This message has been edited by Troublemaker400 (edited July 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow thanks for the info. I don't know if I necessarily believe it all since my bike seems to run pretty strong, but I probably will look into getting the wells welded in for the O2 sensors.

Thank god I kept the original stuff. :)

Thanks again.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troublemaker400:
How much of a difference ya think are we talking about between the full system and a slip on. If I had any other bike I'd get the slip on and not worry about the half HP that you gain with a full system. I don't know how retrictive the converter is. If you lose the O2 sensors then wouldn't it be running in open loop mode and hence not as efficient and not able to compensate for variables that happen over time??

A closed loop FI system is much much better for a car and I think that's where honda was going with this. It kind of irritates me that two brothers didn't put some ports in the system to accomodate the O2 sensors. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I don't want to spend a bunch of money for something and have to look at the FI light on all the time knowing that it's not working properly.

Call me silly but I don't like the idea of putting the bike into open loop mode.

I hate these terrible choices in life.

Luke

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I didn't like the fact that the FI light stays on but oh well. For the sound, weight savings and power it was worth it for me. The bike is running fine. I have taken off the headers and the residue is a chocolate color, which is what you want.

I wouldn't want the O2 sensors blocking air flow. You can keep the O2 sensors plugged in and put them under the frame or something.

Like I said originally, with the addition of the K&N filter the '00 VFR gained 13 hp while it lost like 20 pounds. That's worth it in my book. They have no data on the slip ons for '00, though the 98's got a 6hp increase.

You could see the difference in the size of the headers also, not too mention getting rid of that henious looking cat.

Just my opinion.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

[This message has been edited by 2000VFR (edited July 25, 2000).]

P

·
0 Posts
Karl, Ian, and Luke,

Just FYI, and maybe of some help to you, there have been several related discussions about the O2 sensors and closed/open loop debates on the VFR mailing list. You may want to search the archives: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~lists/archive/vfr/

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've read stuff on the VFR mailing list until I was crosseyed and I never seem to find anything relevant to what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know who else makes full systems for 2000 VFR's that include the mounts for the o2 sensors?

I did manage to find out that the 2000 models are the only ones that have o2 sensors. That's why they don't have a choke lever, it's a closed loop system and it will compensate for a rich or lean condition. Lets say you put in a K&N filter, the 2000 will know and compensate for it with more fuel. the 1999 model has no way of knowing.

When you put the TBR system on and take the o2 sensors out then you are putting the system into "Limp home" mode and it runs rich to get ya home. apparently this is making good power but it is by no means running properly.

I don't want to resort to this.

Luke
Please help

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i haven't seen the o2 sensor on the vfr, but a lot of car guys buy normal headers and have the header drilled a nut welded in for the sensor to go into. maybe you can do this with the vfr. and unlike a v8, they usually end up measure one cylinder and teh other seven could be in trouble. aftermarket bike headers are usually similair to stock, just made of better materiels.

a good exhaust shop wouldn't charge much compared to the price of dealing with a $800 full exhaust you which you didn't really want to buy. but you bought it because of the sensor hole being in it while brand x that you really wanted didn't.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troublemaker400:
I've read stuff on the VFR mailing list until I was crosseyed and I never seem to find anything relevant to what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know who else makes full systems for 2000 VFR's that include the mounts for the o2 sensors?

I did manage to find out that the 2000 models are the only ones that have o2 sensors. That's why they don't have a choke lever, it's a closed loop system and it will compensate for a rich or lean condition. Lets say you put in a K&N filter, the 2000 will know and compensate for it with more fuel. the 1999 model has no way of knowing.

When you put the TBR system on and take the o2 sensors out then you are putting the system into "Limp home" mode and it runs rich to get ya home. apparently this is making good power but it is by no means running properly.

I don't want to resort to this.

Luke
Please help

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mailing list said Erion's full system has the wells already in the collector.

I would go with them if I had to do over again.

BTW, I don't think it's "limp mode". It might be running in a default setting but it is in no way running in a less powerful mode. At least mine isn't. I wonder if just remapping would do the trick.

Ian

------------------
'00 VFR 800

TBR CF High Side Exhaust

·
Registered
47 Posts
by getting rid of the o2 sensors you've pretty much made it a 99 VFR... It's running on a default map. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not in limp home mode. The o2 sensor changes the map as needed when your air filter gets a little more clogged or other variable may occur.

this is what i've gathered off of the mailing list anyway. You can always get the power commander and change the maps accordingly. I know a guy with a 98 VFR and he has a K&N filter and a slip on. he put the power commander on and he told me which map to use and he claims that the bike power wheelies as easy in 2nd gear as it used to in 1st. He can't say enough about it. I'm gonna worry about exhaust first and then maybe see if I can fit in a power commander with my tailocker.

Luke

------------------

1 - 20 of 29 Posts