Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does that crap work? Will it ruin my rim or anything? Anyone try it? I just put a very small hole in my brand new D207 and was wondering if this would work.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if somebody came within 10 feet of my bike with a can o that sh!* i'd beat em with a ugly stick ! come on ! your talking about a Z rated tire, thats also your bike's and your life your risking, get a new tire, don't fool with that crap ! my .02 !

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I have to agree with the above.

While I know it sucks shit to have to purchase a new tire after just buying your current one. How much is your life worth?

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
517 Posts
While I definitely agree, here is some reasoning for it. With bicycles, speedy downhill mountain bikes, especially, the temptation to use Slime is great. I do know some folks who have done this, gotten small punctures and not known it. This is great up to the point that they get so many small punctures, each losing a few psi, that they finally roll a tire off the rim (thinking it is still good, but not adequately inflated). I guess this does beg the question "Which is worse, a tire failure with Slime in it, or a tire failure without slime in it?". Hard to say.

I guess I'd prefer no slime as tire would have pressure or not, not some false sense of full pressure. Dramatic tire failure could happen either way, but slime holding a tire with 1/2 its air for hours/rides on end seems more dangerous (for sheer amount of time you'd spend on it before it went totally flat/failed).

Slime also sees the valve as a hole and eventually plugs it up. Messy when you or mechanic finally does change tire, too.

No matter how much you spend on tires, you'd always kick yourself if you got busted up for trying a questionable fix. $200 to the dealer could end up being $20000 to the doctor (but you could say that about quite a few things...)

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
You could have the coolest rope swing from the tree in your front yard with old new tire.

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was how I always thought about that stuff. I always thought it was crap, but thought someone would have something good to say about it. That's exactly why I asked first before using it.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowazx6r:
That was how I always thought about that stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call bro.

------------------
Robert Basil

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VYPIR:
Ditto!

Green stuff is bad!

According to Kelsie (inside joke)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bastard! (Inside joke between me and VYPIR)

------------------
Robert Basil

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if by slime you mean fix a flat i can share a story here.

in college i used to work at a trucking company changing tires. the stuff sucked ass when you'd break down a tire that had fix-a-flat in it. the steel rims sucked, but al rims (which were on the front only of the trucks) were worse. pluse they appeared to have some corrosion inside (i'm just guess caused by the fix-a-flat, but can't say for 100% sure, jus deductive reasoning).

anyway al truck rims are much thicker than motorcycle. i wouldn't chance putting anything like it on my rims. rim failure could easily cost you your life.

just my .02

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
517 Posts
I used the stuff once. I had picked up a nail in the front and bought a new tire. Well, I had to get my bike to the dealer somehow. It was less than two miles to the dealer and the tire was changed within 15 minutes. Dude cleaned the inside of my rim for me. I s'pose had it been any further I would have had the bike hauled there. I'm not worried about it in the least.

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts