Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new Sl 1000 Falco this week. I can't wait, too bad it is freezing outside. I guess this means I'll have to dress warm so I can get at least one ride in this year.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Corse said:
Picking up my new Sl 1000 Falco this week. I can't wait, too bad it is freezing outside. I guess this means I'll have to dress warm so I can get at least one ride in this year.
Congrats! Which year are you getting? This is no shit the best overall bike I have ever ridden. Comfortable as hell, handles as well as the true repli-racers, blah blah blah.... If I were you I would ask the shop to do the de-restriction for you while you are there. It makes a WORLD of difference (22hp worth). That, combined with an Evoluzione air filter, 2.8 gear ratio change, and the Factory-pro chip are the only mods I have made so far. I would recommend them HIGHLY, especially the chip. It completely gets rid of the 3k stumble and the 5k hesitation on the stock one. When I get home I'll post some links that should give you some pretty good information, if you haven't found them already. You are going to love this machine :cool:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Here you go:

www.rideaprilia.com
www.apriliaforum.com
www.geocities.com/sl_mille/
groups.yahoo.com/group/falcoforum

Any questions let me know. I'm tired of listening to all these Ducati owners yapping about how great their bikes are when they just don't know :)twofinger )

(I really do like the Duc's too, but don't tell anyone ;) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The bike is a yellow 2001. I was planning on derestricting it and I was thinking about using the Factory pro chip after I looked at their website last night. Lots more power

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at a 900ss but the I liked the riding position better on the Falco and the fact that it makes a lot more hp. How much do you pay for maintenance or do you do it yourself? Thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Corse said:
I was looking at a 900ss but the I liked the riding position better on the Falco and the fact that it makes a lot more hp. How much do you pay for maintenance or do you do it yourself? Thanks again for the info.
Talk about a coincidence. I walked into the store with the intention of buying a 900ss and walked out with the Falco.

My first maintenance I had done by my dealer, only because they recommend checking the valves (I called Aprilia to verify this and make sure they weren't trying to rip me off). Since then I've done everything myself. The labor rate, should you go to a shop, should not be any more than their normal rate for working on jap bikes. If they try to charge you more I would find another shop. Speaking of maintenance, I was talking to the shop manager the last time I was there and he told me the only repair work they have done on any of the Aprilia's they have serviced was on a Mille that had a bad weld on the oil tank, and that was under warranty. Pretty good track record so far...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the parts guy at the dealership he hasn't seen anything brake on the Aprilia's that they have sold, makes me feel better. Not like those finicky Ducati's. I can't wait to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Re: Oh yeah

Hammer 4 said:
Thanks for all the info. I assume all this talk re: reliabilty will apply to the Mille, that I'll be gettin next spring huh:D
From Everything I've heard- yup :)

Corse,
Let me know if you do get the Factorypro chip. I rigged a toggle switch in my "trunk" space to switch between map 13 and map 14. I'll post some pics if you want.

Over the winter I'll be putting on a set of Renegades and a Penske rear shock. :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have to say that Stake was looking very smooth and fast at the track a couple of weeks ago. Hey mike, did you tell them what the CR said about the falco?
I love the Mille and spoke at some length with a dealer. He told me that they have not had one single bike come in with any sort of problem. I test rode a mille and loved it. The gearbox felt a lot smoother than mine, loved the power!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Ducatilimey37 said:
I have to say that Stake was looking very smooth and fast at the track a couple of weeks ago. Hey mike, did you tell them what the CR said about the falco?
Why no, I didn't :D

At my last track day I asked one of the control riders to take my bike out and verify the suspension settings. This is what he said:

Him- "Dude, what a machine! The bike is COMFORTABLE, the powerband is AWESOME, the handling is PHENOMINAL. I tried to upset it going into the turns and I couldn't. The only time it got twitchy was coming out of the bus stop (a 180 degree right hander at Pocono East) when I got on the gas at real low rpm's, but I did that on purpose. Get this thing off the track and get yourself a beater... Oh yeah, your suspension is sprung a bit stiff in the front for your weight."

Me- "Thanks for taking it out and for the feedback"

Him- "No, thank you"

I love listening to that. :D :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are making me feel better and better about the bike.

Stake, if you don't mind I would like to see the pictures of the toggle switch, and let me know how you like the Renegades when you get them as I am looking for an exhauts system too.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Ducatilimey37 said:
i dont mnd being your stooge in the audience!!
I appreciate that. You always did kind of remind me of Larry. I guess that would make John Curly, or maybe Shemp :twofinger

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Corse said:
You guys are making me feel better and better about the bike.

Stake, if you don't mind I would like to see the pictures of the toggle switch, and let me know how you like the Renegades when you get them as I am looking for an exhauts system too.
I have heard nothing but great stuff about the Renegades. I had narrowed it down to about 3 different manufacturers, and then I saw this regarding the events of 9/11 on one of the Falco boards:

"I wanted you all to see the email that I got from the people at Renegade
exhausts. They must have remembered that I live in New York from when I
ordered my pipes almost a year ago. I'm posting it because I think it was
also directed at all of us here in the States. Great folks.

<Hi Nick,
What a terrible things happened today, and hope you and your families are
ok......
It's the saddest day for your country and can not comprehend what sort of
human being can do things like this to other human being.
Our thoughts are with you all, and let us know how you are...
Best wishes,
Jorge/Tomoko>

Any company that gives this kind of attention to its customers gets my business.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was checking out the renegrades for my bike as well. They look great, even some performance improivments, but i heard that they are VERY loud. I dont know how true it is, i just picked it up on a couple of msg boards.

But hey, they are a limey company so you can be assured of a hi quality product!:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up the Falco yesterday. It ROCKS. The dealer already derestricted it. I love it. Too bad it rained this morning or I'd be riding it now.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts