Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just found out about this board today, seems like a good place for us northern virginia people. I was thinking of riding skyline drive monday or tuesday, and have never been there before. Do you think there'll be a lot of leaf coverage on the roads? If anyone would like to come, let me know!

Larry

·
Registered
591 Posts
LTrain said:
I was thinking of riding skyline drive monday or tuesday, and have never been there before. Do you think there'll be a lot of leaf coverage on the roads?
Wouldn't mind joining ya, but I just got back from a 3-day trip close to the area. I don't think you'll find many/any leaves on the drive, since the tourist traffic seems to blow 'em off the road well. What little part of the BRP I rode (Otter Creek area) didn't have a leaf on it.
You might want to check out the link below. I've spent very little time in the mountains of Western VA and almost no time in WV. My 3-day trip was to enjoy the roads, and scout out attractions in the area I'd like to visit when they're open to the public (Cass Railroad/NRAO).
http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=138036#post138036

The roads in WV are so nice (gravel aside) that I'll definitely be headed back spring/summer. I'm sure you'll enjoy Skyline Drive, just be sure not to mix sightseeing with serious roadwork. People tend to screw up when they try to mix the two. :eek: :crying: You also better watch out for Rangers with radar, although it's been my experience that during the week you have less to worry about. They seem to abandon other duties on weekends when most tourists show up, and set up radar then.
Leave time to check out the big visitor's center at Big Meadows. You can probably spend about an hour? there (includes a 20 minute film with lots of old pix on building Skyline Drive). Food is reasonable and always good at the lodge at Skyland (10 miles north of Big Meadows). For some good maps in PDF, see http://www.nps.gov/shen/pphtml/maps.html
Mebbe I'll catch ya on the road this spring/summer? It would be my honor to ride with someone having such obviously good taste in bikes as yourself! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts