Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first single sided swingarm on a production motorcycle? (And this is sportbike trivia, so I don't want to hear about some 1935 shit pooper no name that I have never heard of :D )

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
RCjohn said:
91 VFR 750. I don't remember when the RC-30 came out and I don't really consider it a production bike. :)
get 'em john.

btw, bimota tesi (if it was a production bike) had a sindle sided swingarm about 1989 or so. it may be on the front...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
88 RC30. And yes, it was a production bike. All WSB contenders must be a "production" bike or they have to build at least 150 of them. I remember seeing one for sale at at local dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're wrong, and yes it is something you've probably never heard of. I'll stop now. I'm disqualifying myself from anymore of these "triva" questions. Hint: it aint Japanese, it's German.:eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
how the hell did it turn?
Oh dear God no! Not again! I don't think the board could survive another "How does a motorcycle turn" debate.:twofinger :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Birdman said:

Oh dear God no! Not again! I don't think the board could survive another "How does a motorcycle turn" debate.:twofinger :D
agreed, the tesi must use some special red magic wands...

that's my story.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
and the winner is...

OK this is the correct answer, I think :D

The first production bike with a single sided swingarm was the 1980 R80 G/S. The system was called monolever (later on it was developed even more and renamed to paralever).

Here is a picture of the bike which also started the trend of big on/offs (more on than off).

Aris

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
the proof

And here is a picture taken in 1979 showing the bike on which BMW tested the new design before putting it into production.

Aris

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts