Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

What's the universal signal for "police ahead" to warn other motorcyclists there's radar/soundcheck trouble ahead of them?

I've been doing the helmet tap/wave down and received the bird from HD guys (guess they thought I was bitchin them out for no helmet?) and a wheelie from an R1 rider, so I must be giving the 'Be a Dickhead" signal?

I can't do the high beam one because my headlight flickers due to modulator install and I'd like to warn people so 1) they can avoid the ticket 2) they obey speed limit and give law enforcement the impression everyone abides the limit and enforce less.

I've never seen a rider in the opposite direction signal me that there's police behind them, and I've spoken with the Sheriff a couple times which was definitely avoidable with a courtesy heads up from oncoming cyclists if they'd cared to warn me... maybe I'm missing the signal because I don't know it?

We're supposed to look out for each other, what's the signal???
AND PLZ START USING IT EVERYONE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Suprisingly, I`ve never had another rider give me any signal to warn me, but I have had a couple cars flash their lights at me, and I`ve done it back a couple times, but only a few notice. I`ve heard of the helmet tap though, but never seen anyone do it, and suppose it could make people ask :wtf: if they weren`t "in the know".

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I tap my helmet for riders following (I see a cop). Slow down signal for on coming (I saw a cop). You can get a ticket for flashing your light in Colorado.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'm a big fan of leaning over and doing the palm down thing. IMO that's kinda universal for slow down.:2cents:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I thought taping your helemet was (heads up) thing. not just for cops but for anything you may want to be on the look out up ahead.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
I thought taping your helemet was (heads up) thing. not just for cops but for anything you may want to be on the look out up ahead.
:thumb:

I've had people do this and it turned out to be a cop, but other times it's been a wreck up ahead or other possible obstacle. For speed the leaning over palm down thing is the best. :2cents:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cop Signal

I ride with a donut stuck to my instrument panel and when Ive seen a cop I pick up the donut and show it to other riders. lol:twofinger

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I do not wave at fellow m/cist, but will give them a head nod.

NOW

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
---to continue on with my post since I accidently tapped something with my left hand--------- I do the arm out low & palm down with hand moving up & down a bit. Seems others understand this one.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Smitty said:
---to continue on with my post since I accidently tapped something with my left hand--------- I do the arm out low & palm down with hand moving up & down a bit. Seems others understand this one.

I do this as well as tapping the top of my helmet. Most people seem to understand the low hand up and down better than the helmet tap. :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts