Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Suomy helmet that is in great shape, though it's more than 7 years old. I know you're supposed to replace your helmet every 5 years or so, but I only wore this helmet for one season, and for the past 6 years it has been sitting in a dark, dry closet in its helmet bag. I know that the plastic, foam, glue, resin, etc. in the helmet can still deteriorate over time, even without exposure to sweat and sunlight, but surely at a much slower rate? Maybe my helmet is actually in similar condition to a helmet that is just 3 or 4 years old?

I would really hate to have this helmet go to waste, and have to shell out about $500 for a new helmet of similar quality. Would you still wear this helmet if you were in my shoes, or would you bite the bullet and get a new one? Thank you, I appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's your noggin.

I'd get a new one. What's the point of relying on a helmet that's not at 100% integrity or potentially inferior to most of the products currently on market? As per the not entirely disinterested Snell Foundation, helmet technology, materials, and protection continues to improve year over year however incremental that may be but 5 years is big enough to make a diff.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Short answer is: Replace it.

Short reason is: Materials degrade with age even if it's never been crashed.

Your liner is made of EPS. That's styrofoam. Ever seen an old styrofoam cooler? The foam gets so stiff and brittle that it will crumble if you handle it. That's what happens to the part of your helmet that actually absorbs energy.

Besides, after seven years the liner HAS to be getting gross....

·
Registered
2 Posts
As long as you yourself are comfortable with using it there shouldn't be any problem.
However, I personally think that helmets have a 5 year life span... after that you'll need a new one .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its a judgement call on your end to make. Do you still fejel the bike helmet is very strong? It's upt o you to mak the judgement call on if it's ok.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Short answer is: Replace it.

Short reason is: Materials degrade with age even if it's never been crashed.

Your liner is made of EPS. That's styrofoam. Ever seen an old styrofoam cooler? The foam gets so stiff and brittle that it will crumble if you handle it. That's what happens to the part of your helmet that actually absorbs energy.

Besides, after seven years the liner HAS to be getting gross....
+1

Your bike and your gear are always replaceable. But you only get one YOU. It's best to replace it and know it's good than to wonder about it as you're hitting pavement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts