Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH YEAH....I forgot to mention the bike already has same Fast By Ferraci...handlebars..that change the angle. the owner said he wrong 100somethin miles w/ no problems. and my mechanic buddyrode his 916 to austin which is 170miles..

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey guy's i have the opportunity to buy a '99 748 for a really good price. i know the mechanical's of the bike. i keep talking to some people and they tell me that i won't be happy. i like my VFR...but you can't deny a duc..

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the 748 is an awesome machine, i was very, very close to buying one.

i didn't for the following reasons:
after market exhausts are expensive
it doesn't have everything i loved about the 916 (dzus fasteners, steering head adjustment, etc.)
gsxr750 flat waxes in power/weight ratio

also, if you like to ride for distances, you may wanna keep your vfr800

why i wish i bought the ducati instead of my gsxr--
looks sexy
the twin thing
the hard seat is awesome when riding hard
that yellow, sexy, did i say that already?
exhaust ain't cheap for the gsxr either
dry clutch sounds awesome.
don't see one everyday.
will still be cool 10 years from now.
will still be worth something 10 years from now.

i think i would've been happier with the duc.

oh well.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WELL, TONY....

this bike already has Termig.....?? exhaust on it. plus an FIM Eprom. actually i think because it's a '99 it has an adj head angle.
i've done my touring, i just got back from a 4500 road trip....

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
440 Posts
With Ducatis, it you have to ask the answer is probably "no."

Don't get me wrong, we have a Ducati 750 Monster in the garage, all taped up and ready to load on the trailer for a track day at the Streets of Willow Springs tomorrow.

How do you intend to use this bike? Ducks are great in the Hill Country, but riding a 748 in Houston traffic would be little better than being stretched out on a torture rack. But then again, it will still be cool and worth something in 10 years.

And that engine. Nothing stirs the soul quite like a Ducati engine. The sound alone is almost worth the riding position. It may not have as much power as the Japanese bikes, but it has all you need on the street. And if you do take it to a track day it will be much more fun than anything else around.

Can you afford two bikes? If so, get the 748.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

[This message has been edited by photobug (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey photobug.

i was just in Hollister going to Corbin.

no, i can't afford 2 bikes...well, i could but i don't want to....

that's the dilemma....i like the VFR and it serves many purposes.

but the Duc is soooooo pretty and noisey and the "poser" factor is high!!

but i've been told you have to keep the motor reveed up....

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
IMO, the 748 is a much better value than the 916. A 748 in the right hands will stomp a base 996 in average hands. They are that closely matched. The 748 is a good looking(outdated but still good ;)) machine that runs great and sounds great. Gotta love a twin. :cool:

Just remember, they typically require more maint. and at a higher cost. They are uncomfortable. I haven't ridden one yet but have been on them and ridden with them. They are similar in position to the RC 51 which is no touring machine. ;) If I lived in Houston, TX, I can assure you that I would not own the RC nor a 748 as an only bike. :( They are torture at low speed traffic stuff.

BTW, the poser factor is starting to fade on those bikes unless they are customized, like with an orange paint scheme. :) At least in this area they have. Just don't draw the crowds they used to.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you buy it, you won't be disappointed. Although the bike does have a few "character flaws," the overall package is outstanding.

Be warned, you can spend a small fortune on modifications, as Ducati parts are pretty expensive. Oh yeah, it will provide you with plenty of agony in slow or stop-and-go traffic.

The 99' 748's do come with dzus fasteners and adjustable steering head angle.

If it's a good deal, buy it, you'll like it. Not to mention it'll roast an RC51 with ease! :D

------------------
-Paul
If God dropped acid, would he see people?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i have a '99 748 owner i'm talking to, my mechanic also works on the same bike and he installed the exhaust and the chip on that bike. it has only 1480mi and i can get it for less than $10,000. so the price is right...the mileage is good, already hoas some nice mods....it's looking more and more like i'm gonna get serious w/ the duc. i was gonna borrow a friend of mine's duc and put some miles in this weekend.. were gonna have some great weather this weeekend...75-45 degrees....sunny all weekend... :)

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 748_abuser:
Be warned, you can spend a small fortune on modifications, as Ducati parts are pretty expensive. Oh yeah, it will provide you with plenty of agony in slow or stop-and-go traffic.

The 99' 748's do come with dzus fasteners and adjustable steering head angle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just wanted to repeat the first part again. everything is more expensive (not just exhaust and eprom's). service can be, but some dealers (bmc for one) work with owners to try to keep things cheap, like doing valve seminars.

not to sound petty, but the dzus fasteners are one of the reasons that i loved the 916 so much, and it really disappointed me to see ducati not keep them for 2000 (didn't know they were on there in 99).

i think the bike is actually quite comfy, but then again, i don't commute on my bikes (and no longer sport-tour). i can't imagine doing a 50 miles highway ride though.

i did ride a 916 and r1 back-to-back in fayetteville, nc on 90* day. i thought the 916 was a better city bike. it ran cooler, made me happy when i blipped the throttle, just more fun, plus the r1 is a little more of a torture rack, but with a softer seat. the r1 was faster in a straight line (all american blvd). but i felt i could ride the 916 much faster in the twisties, though i didn't ride either hard, that day. the roads are sandy there and i didn't want to pay for either guy's then-new bike.

also i thinks 99 still had the auto-retracting sidestand. good reason not to park the bike anywhere, but i also liked this. i thought that once it was down, it was locked, not like the gsxr which if it's not in gear on a slight grade, it's gonna go. actually reminds me of a harley sidestand, seems crappy until you get used to it. either that or i didn't spend enough time with it.

i can only compair it to a 916, i never rode a 748 or a 996, but i hearthe difference are nill.

anyway it sounds to me like it's sold, you just wanna rationalize an irrational purchase.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RACER X:
well, i have a '99 748 owner i'm talking to, my mechanic also works on the same bike and he installed the exhaust and the chip on that bike. it has only 1480mi and i can get it for less than $10,000. so the price is right...the mileage is good, already hoas some nice mods....it's looking more and more like i'm gonna get serious w/ the duc. i was gonna borrow a friend of mine's duc and put some miles in this weekend.. were gonna have some great weather this weeekend...75-45 degrees....sunny all weekend... :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :cool: It might be hard to pass it up. Hey, you can always trailer it to the mountains/hills. ;)

Don't let the Abuser BS you. The 748 will not roast an RC 51... not even his modified one. :D :p Now, I'm not talking about the rider, just the bike. :D :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
RACER X,

I've put in 300+ mile rides on numerous occasions. Anybody that complains about the discomfort, isn't riding fast enough! The only times I feel it are in SLOW traffic, and when I stop and have time to think about it! The bar risers are supposed to alleviate some of the wrist discomfort, but I've never used them, nor ridden a bike that had them. It's really not bad. I almost always trailer the bike to wherever I'm going to ride because it sucks on the freeway.

The one thing that bothers me more than anything else is the clutch-pull. By the end of a long ride you'll start to wonder about how you can pull that clutch lever in with your RIGHT hand!!! You can buy a slave cylinder to remedy that, or do something else to beef-up that left-hand grip and forearm! ;) :D

Another thing to be aware of: Some of the 748's have a problem with the chrome flaking off of the valves. I had mine re-chromed a few months ago and it aint cheap! IF this happens, send them off to be re-done, rather than replacing them with OEM valves. I learned the really expensive way.

Tony is right, the sidestand is sort of a nuisance, but you get used to it after a while. You just need to be a little more select as to where you park it. There is also a replacement bolt that will fix that too. I've never had a problem with it.

There are a lot of faster bikes to choose from, but the handling is sublime. It'll kick the sh*t out of an RC51 with ease! :D :D

One last thing. The stock steering damper is S-H-I-T (and if you look closely, you'll see that it rubs on the tank)! They shouldn't even sell those things. Replace it with an adjustable one.

------------------
-Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tell me more about the kickstand thingy.....

what kind of steering dampner should i look at and where is a good price for one...

Ohlin's im sure...

------------------
'00 VFR800fi
TBR full, high and right

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 748_abuser:

I've put in 300+ mile rides on numerous occasions. Anybody that complains about the discomfort, isn't riding fast enough! ...It'll kick the sh*t out of an RC51 with ease! :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does a "300 mile ride" include trailering distance? I love the RCJohn/748Abuser banter... like two old ladies trash talkin' each other's electric wheelchairs!

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oh yeah, back to the topic- I love the 748, especially a yellow mono, but there is no way I could justify it as an only bike. For $10K my only bike would have to be an R1, GSXR1000, ZX12, or something like that. If it's "different" you seek, that $10K will buy a lot more exclusivity than a 748 can provide. My current dream project: Buy a new CR500 for $5000, add some $2000 17" Marchesini wheels and sportbike rubber, add another $500 or so for lighting and a bigger gas tank and voila! A giant killer that will power wheelie in all gears, smoke any "sportbike" in the twisties (up to 100 mph) and get more slack-jawed stares than any Duc!
A more sane alternative would be a KTM Duke, or VOR 503. Am I Babbling? I'll stop now...

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
...A more sane alternative would be a...VOR 503. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no, now I have a mess to clean-up.

I agree with Tristan. The supermotards are the way! They are truly a sportbike killer. And the riding style rocks! Check-out some of the European Supermotard sites, and see what it's all about. Many of the *World Class* street racers participate in those races. What a blast! I could live with the VOR!

I hope that Tristan pursues his idea of converting the CR500. That would be too cool!

------------------
-Paul

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If the kickstand is like my 900SS, a replacement bolt is made or shave part of the existing one off. Not a big deal, but it does get left down eventually and the first time you lean to the left the bike will jump to the right.
I have a poser ducati and most peolpe don't know the difference. The girlies love it and most of the guys to. Almost traffic light yoo can catch someone lookin. I have harley dudes tell me it sweet. Come to the dark side, can you feel it?
Oh yeah, valve adjustments are expensive, but you should learn the maintence on your bike anyways, so just buy some wrenches and a manual.
Everyone wants twins.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
cbrf2boy is WRONG. Only the base '00 748 comes without the dzus fittings. All of the pre-2000 and the 2000 748S and 748Rs come with the dzus fittings. The same goes with the adjustable steering head angle - only the base '00 748 comes without this feature. BTW, if you have to justify the purchase, it's probably not for you. The 748/916/996 is so one dimensional that you'll either love it or hate it. There really is no in-between. The bike is basically a race bike that's been legalized for the street. It's similar to having a fully modified 2 stroke motocrosser that's been modified for use as a dual-sport. Yea, it rips, but it's far better on a track than on the street. Having said that, I love mine and wouldn't want anything else!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Woohoo748 (edited October 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oh no, now I have a mess to clean-up.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? did John stop by?

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RACER X:
were gonna have some great weather this weeekend...75-45 degrees....sunny all weekend... :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?! In Houston?! Sheesh, it started raining Friday night and hasn't stopped since. :mad: Anyway, I saw a yellow 748 being trailered up Hwy 6 on Saturday. Wasn't you was it?

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts