Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've been thinking really hard so hard that smoke came out of my ears about geting a bike. I've been looking into MSF and looking at honda cbr 600 f2's and f3's, suzuki gsx / katana 600's, and others. Well I am thinking about maybe getting a 3,000 or so dollar loan to buy a bike and gear. My question is would it be worth it and what are your opinions about it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My question is would it be worth it and what are your opinions about it?

I don't know it it's worth it "literally" unless you mean the great gas mileage and power/weight ratio on bikes. From this perspective bikes get more bang for the buck than any car on the road.

Youve mentioned taking the MSF course, so I wont beat it anymore. You need gear and that is at least $500 for a helmet, jacket, and gloves. Check out www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and www.newenough.com for some great deals. If you are itching to try it, there aren't many options besides doing it. So with the remaining 2500 you could get any of the bikes you mentioned. I don't know your age, but a loan will requie full coverage, which sometimes is very high. There are some decent early Katanas and FZR's around for $1500, so don't blow your load for something you can't afford, and for something you are unsure of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i'm 17 :rolleyes:. about what would be the cost of insurence?
and yea I figured that i would be spending about 500 for gear

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tough to say, you are capable of getting quotes from the various ins. co's. I can say that there is a dramatic increase on sportbikes between liability and full coverage. I had a '89 Katana600 at 16 and paid $300/year for liability. I also had a '95 ZX6R at 19 and paid $180/month for full coverage. The point is if you are only getting a roughed up starter bike, then why pay for full coverage? You should save up and buy the bike outright and save yourself $2000/year on full coverage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts