Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
its almost time for me to buy my rocket, I've got a grand in my hands right now, I haven't found much I can get that could fit my size, but I did find a cbr 1000f for $1250, heres the deal, its really beat up, atleast the plastic is, it has a salvage title, but it runs well. the place will finance $1000 in house so I was thinking of giving $800 and buying some gear for myself. is it worth getting into a bike like this, most of the 1000's I've seen around here go for $2500-4000 depending on condition. I've been looking at parts on ebay and bikes are really cheap compared to cars. so should I go for it and fix it up, or keep looking. and what should I look for on the nbike, how much would a mechanic charge me to check it out?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I've narrowed it down to either this 88 hurricane 1000f for $1250 or a 92 katana for $2500. anyone? did the hurricane come with a 6-speed gear box, I've been looking for info but I can't find any. and whats so bad about having a 16 inch front rim? thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so what about the hurricane? I would much rather have it then the katana, but I need something that will last me a few years and won't need to be in the shop to much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its difficult to answer without knowing more about the bike. If it is just plastic you should be okay. The main problem with the 1000's was the cam chain which seemed to need replacing around the 30k mark. Besides that the bikes have been solid in most cases. Sorry I could not answer more but good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I think I'm just going to go for it. so is the hurricane 1000f is a good handling bike? and everyone agrees the cbr is much better then the katana, right. ok so if I do get it and it is a piece of crap could I get rid of it and still get my money back, its only $1250

·
Registered
195 Posts
The '88 Hurricane 1000 is before the evil linked-brake virus that infected later CBR1000Fs, and that's a good thing.

Of course, it is an awful lot of bike: 577 slow-handling, lardy, softly-spring, flexi-fork pounds, although it was the fastest bike in the world briefly when it came out, edging out the Ninja 1000R, and getting snuffed in turn by the ZX-10. 161-163mph is the number I recall. The 600 Katana has GP-bike handling by comparison.

Still, I kinda always had a soft spot for the first-generation CBR's; they were pretty cool bikes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks tammy as always you are a sweetheart. ok so the katana handles better but the cbr is much faster and has better ability to be upgraded. the parts are much cheaper for the katana, but it would be cool to have 1000cc's under me, I'm a big boy so these are really the only two I can both afford and fit on:( . will the cbr's handling hinder my ability to learn to ride correctly and eventually race well? can the stupid looking mirrors on the katana be changed some how, that is really my only complaint, and the cbr is a 6-speed right?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dude, take your $1000 and put a down payment on a clean used SV650 with gear and an MSF course.

You'll find that a $1200 bike becomes a $3000 bike very, very quickly. And then you'll have a $3K invested in a hunk of crap that uses 16in tires. If you just finance a decent used 97-01 bike you would actually have some equity in your investment.

In case you don't believe me, go price these items:
Chain
Grips
Tires
Clutch
Clean tank interior
Rebuild carbs
New cables
Wheel bearings
Valve adjustment
Brake pads
Brake lines
rear shock
fork springs
fork seals
new plastic

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "great deal" on a $1200, 15 year old bike. Sorry.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey now buddy... I paid 3k for mine last April, and I'd never go back and change that. A new one would be nice, but old bikes, when maintained by the last owner, can be pretty damn fun...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry chief but even putting down a grand no one will finance me, plus I don't want a bike that needs to be insured, which down in florida would be about 3k a year, yes the bike may need some work, but all the items you listed are very cheap compaired to what I would spend on my car. plus I've been checking out bikes the sv I don't really like, I tried the small ninjas 250-600, but they are way to small for me to ride everyday to work, I looked at fj's, seca's, gsxr's, fzr's you name it. the only older bike I really liked was the katana, it was the most comftable for me, then this hurricane 1000f came into the picture, yes it uses 16 in rims, but I'm not looking to race, yet, just cruise around and learn how to rid for a year or two, then trade it in for something better. or maybe keep it as a dragbike.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hey guy. Not to flame, but you need to forget about a sport bike and spend this effort getting your priorities straight. No insurance?!:finger: I guess when you hit somebody it's just their unlucky day? Hope it's not a father of five who then can't support his kids. Can't borrow a few thousand dollars? Spend a few years getting things straightened out instead of just digging yourself a bigger hole. That bike will be a money pit and is more bike than you can handle, especially when everything isn't working right and you don't have the money to fix it. Those bikes have bias ply tires until '90 and really have traction issues as a result. Then you're gonna' drag race it?! It's not a good drag bike and if you can't afford a $3500 bike now, then you don't have the money it takes to race a radio controlled toy, much less a vehicle you can sit on. It's good to have dreams but you need to get some reality under your belt so you can figure out how to make a few of these dreams come true.

Step1: Invest your money in a newspaper and an alarm clock. The paper would be for the help wanted ads and the alarm clock so that once you find the job, you can get to work on time and keep it. A wind up one might be the best choice so it will still work when the power company shuts off the electricity.

Step2: When you're at your job, work your ass off, find out what it takes to be at the next level up and then study, read, go to school, or whatever it takes to get to the next level. Once you get that working right, you'll be able to get on with a few of your dreams and do it right instead of half assing it and just adding more disappointment to your life. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll get there instead of wallowing around in shit for the next twenty or thirty years. Best of luck to you, really. :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
WHEW!!

I've never seen Dad with his feathers ruffled! :)

I gotta agree about insurance! Even though insurance is 'highway robbery' (heh heh, pun) If you cant afford insurance, than you cant ride/drive on the street. Period. Cuz the rest of us are sick of carrying the burden of irresponsible people.
I got hit once by an uninsured ^%$%!!! and when he pushed me into two other cars, guess who got F**%ED!?! ME << The guy next in line WITH insurance :mad: :mad:

Anyway NEKO, IMO, you should keep saving up.... :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok first I live in florida which is a no-fault state, so if I hit you, you still have to pay for your own vehicle. second I already have a job, I work almost 60 hours a week. I have my own apartment, and pay all my own bills, plus support a fiancee who is in school, I'm buying a bike with the money I have left over. besides what I choose to spend my money on is my business, I work for american express and deal with finances all day long so I know I'm not digging a hole for myself, I'm just looking for something I can use for transportation considering my car is a v8 and gas is now $1.76 a gallon for me. I can get someone to finance me if I really need to for $3500, but I have not found a bike I like thats worth that much so there is no point. as far as racing, I already race my trans am, but I stripped it down because I like bikes better then cars. I don't belive I listed my annual income on my personal information paige here, or did I? so how could you asses my financial status? what I choose to put on this website and what I have in the bank are two very different things, the truth is I am an extremely hard working person, I have gotten 3 raises in the last 4 months, and in about 8 months I'm set to get an 18k raise, I've got 3 career paths either one I will be retired and very set by the time I'm 46, not many people can say that. but this is beyond the point, the fact that I was able to save over $1000 in 5 weeks should be enough proof that I can pay for what I need. so to you my friend I give you this :finger: , and ask that you stick to what you know about a person rather then what you assume, I'm not some 15 year old punk, I am a hard working man, I know you said not to flame, but thats what you did.

I appreciate the tip about the tires, by the way is that what they came with back then, or can they be changed now?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm sorry some people here seem less than friendly dude... I've noticed on this board that some people assume telling someone over the internet not to do something will somehow stop them from doing it.

If you've put some thought into this, and you do want a bike, buy what you can afford and what you want to ride, f_ck what people tell you about what you should ride. Make sure you've got your attitude in check, and it's your life to risk. Just try and take things slow and learn.

I'd recommend waiting a bit so you can afford some kind of insurance, even just collision, shop around and you should be able to figure something out. Then, price out some gear, and find a bike with what you have left after those. It's more important to be living and not broke after you crash a cheap bike than dead after you crash a decend one. ;)

I'd find someone who knows about bikes, maybe off this board, to come and look at the Hurricane with you, go over all of it, find things that are wrong. Maybe you can even chip the price down even farther. Try and make sure it's something that WON'T cost a ton to maintain, that's what I did with mine, and in a season and a half all I've changed was the CCT. As for plastic, if you're going to be the kinda person who is embarassed by duct-tape, check that out too ;)

The Hurricane is old, and it's a lot of bike, but it is a bike. If you take you time, you can ride it safely. You sound like you're mechanically fit, so shop fee's won't be much for ya. If you can work on a car, you can work on a Hurricane. I know mine's brutally simple compared to the new ones.

Just to sum it all up: 1)Check out collision insurance
2)Get someone to go over the bike (take it to a shop if you can't find a friend)
3)Buy gear first
4)Learn slow
5)Don't be bummed if/when it dumps and you have to throw some duct-tape on. I'd rather ride a duct-tape enduro than drive any car.

:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, its nice to see someone help rather then ridicule. as for gear of coarse, I'm not stupid, I've got cash set aside for a skull cap and a jacket. I wanted to buy boots but can't find a shop that carries size 15:eek: I figure I will both beat up this bike and get rid of it in 2 years so I want something older, and no duct tape does not bother me at all. the damn bike right now is covered with "I love jesus" and "body piercing saved my life" stickers, I think I can use that as a point to get another $100 of the price. the bike also comes with a 30 day money back garantee, I know a few people who bought bikes from them, if you find something majorly wrong they will take it back and give a full refund. one of my friends found there was an issue with a slightly bent fork, they offer him his money back, but he wouldn't give up the bike, they eventually got him new forks, hes bought 2 more bikes from them since then.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's exactly why I bought mine, I expect to mess up, so I have something I don't mind doing it on. Just be careful because the bike won't be the quickest handling, and is kinda large. Take it slow, watch out for cars and you'll be fine.

I hope by skullcap you mean a helmet... not an actual skullcap one ;) And you might need work boots or something, but stay away from runners.

Good luck man :D It's a beautiful world when you're on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not worried about handling quick, just looking foward to riding. and yes a skull cap means a full face helmet. this isn't my first bike, its just the first one I will own. :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
<off topic> Dad, you are an excellent judge of character.
<back on topic> Who gives a crap about handling on Florida roads? I say if the 1000 is actually functional, it's easily worth a $1K gamble.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts