Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to sport bikes, but i have been riding dirt bikes since i was like 8.
Now i want to get a sportbike, now I'm 5'6'' 145 (athletic build) still packing on some weight, now ive been looking at the honda cbr 600, is there anyway i can get the bike lowerd so i can get both feetflat on the ground?

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
when i got my first bike it was lowered, and im tall, so i raised it back up.

there is a quick way to do it which will increase your wheelbase, which is bad for turnability

And the right way which uses the quick way plus one other step.... i had a picture posted a long time ago of what to look for on the rear.... hold up....

·
Registered
452 Posts
alright i cannot find my thead, but i found some pictures.... to do it right, you have to lower both the front and the back of the bike...

3inches lowerin back, 3 inches lower in front... it will keep the bike more balanced (even though your already throwing it off of the specs and ground clearance, bad mojo)

The rear, replace this, with these, they're lowering links, and adjust accordingly and keep measurements

The front, simply loosen the forks from the tripple tree's and let gravity do the work. I wouldnt do them both at once because it can drop really fast if you're not carfull. So loosen one of the sides, the right lets say, loosen both the top right and lower right tripple tree, and shimmee the right fork up. tighten up the right and then adjust the left side. You migh have to do this more than once... And dont forget to keep the measurements accurate

and make sure the forks are EVENLY matched both left and right. I used a digital caliper to get it to the thousanth. I was told that unevenness can do bad things, so i pass the word

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing wrong, ok several things wrong with lowering is that it throws the bike of its specs, which were specifically designed to work at what your are changing it from. Which my owners manual says "adjudsting your suspension out of reccomended specifications can adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury."

Another is that the lean angle will be effected and lessened to where you will be scraping parts that arn't supposed to the scraped, so you might slide farther than normal.

Another is it will be harder to wheelie, which I dont think you're ready for, im just saying it so you will know all the information of what you are doing.

And braking may get seriously bad if you lower it too low, because when you lower the front, the forks are forced into a shorter gap between the tire and the lower tripple tree, if lowered too low the TIRE can & may break the plastic faring and touch the lower tripple tree.

Have you have ridden a bicycle? have you ever gone really fast and then put your foot in the front tire? well i was stupid enough to do so, and i flipped over prettly hard!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
good keep it how it is :thumbs2:
found my picture.... linky1 Linky2

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I got it done by a professional and so they lowered it only how much it was safe would it be so bad? The problem for me is I'm only 5'2" and so things are hard for me to reach in general lol. I'd like to keep the bike the way it is but at the moment it's just a bit ridiculous. Would just getting the suspension adjusted for my height and weight be enough? Thanks for any info you all can give me!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
my owners manual has only setting adjustments for weight, but not for height. You/I will never be able to push the bike to its fullest limits: you may push yourself to the limits, but probably not the bike's.
Do what you have to: but done over do it.... as the tips of your feet will be fine, build some kalf muscles and leg strenght while your at it.... for your height, lowering to where you are confortable may have adversed effects :thumbs2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
:) Thanks so much! Ya, I was reading that it can be done riding on tipy toes so I think I'll just learn to adjust to that or maybe get it lowered the LITTLEST bit so I can have the balls of my feet on the ground. I'd hate to throw off the bike's handling and then be uncomfortable because of that anyway ^_^

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could have your seat re-profiled which will lower it . I am also like you my legs are not long enough to suit my weight :laughing:
Had my seat re-profiled see pic

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey that's a great idea that's a bit novel. i haven't really seen that as a solution, but seems like a great idea, does it affect your handling or the bike feel at all? :)

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Bikes can be lowered with lowering links but if you only lower the rear, you change the bike's handling. Ideally you'd lower the forks in the triple tree too to maintain the right orientation but I would guess that's something you'd rather have a shop do.

Seat lowering is more a fine-tuned change in bike height, though it might be enough for you. Shops that do boat seat upholstery are a good local way to find someone you can talk to about having it done for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yamaha FZ-6R- low seat height

Might want to consider Yamaha's new 2009 FZ-6R- it's a beginner friendly bike that was specifically designed with a low seat height that is also adjustable: "sports an exceedingly low and narrow seat for a 600cc sportbike that can be adjusted .8-inch higher than the 30.9-inch low setting."

Here's an article: http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=882

1 - 17 of 17 Posts